General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User williaa68
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-20 14:21:24
Print Post

FTTP - so near and yet so far

[link to this post]

My street in Sevenoaks, Kent, now has FTTP available and a number of my neighbours now have it. However, my property, which sits up a short drive behind another property, shows as unavailable. The phone line currently comes up a conduit in the drive and a helpful openreach engineer lifted the access hatch at the end of the road and said it should be able to the cable up from the pole up the conduit but i face "computer says no" from both my ISP and OpenReach. Ive done an availability check with openreach but without luck. I feel like if I could speak to someone intelligent and explain the issue it would be easily solved but I am struggling to do just that.

I have had a Fibre on demand quote and it is £4,800 + vat. I wouldnt mind paying a premium for installation but it cannot cost that to run a cable 50m up my drive.

Any suggestions would be very, very gratefully received.

thank you.
Standard User shortshrift27
(learned) Wed 02-Dec-20 14:55:52
Print Post

Re: FTTP - so near and yet so far

[re: williaa68] [link to this post]

Was that a desktop quote or the result of a survey?

If a survey, then it is supposed to reflect the actual work required (broken down as "civils", "stores", etc.) so maybe the build stopped when the CBT or splitter was fully allocated.

However, no quotes seem to come in below a few thousand these days, so you do wonder why the gap for seemingly simple FoD vs the regular £500 installation fee...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Dec-20 15:25:46
Print Post

Time to email me [email protected] with short desc and address details and will forward onto Openreach with some notes

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Dec-20 16:23:58
Print Post

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

.... the build cost is from an existing aggregation node, not just served off of an existing CBT.

Standard User williaa68
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-20 16:32:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I will do that - thank you. And in answer to the query above it was a desktop survey
(learned) Wed 02-Dec-20 16:44:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
.... the build cost is from an existing aggregation node, not just served off of an existing CBT.

Even if the network has been built out to 50m away and there is capacity, I guess?

I had wondered.

So that does indeed explain why folk who've been "just missed" get disappointing FTTPoD quotes!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Dec-20 16:46:58
Print Post

If you are only offered FTTP then it suggests BT did not build your address in to the current design and so quite possible all the ports on the CBT are already allocated. There is the question as to why you weren't included though - perhaps it was just an oversight or perhaps there were specific issues that made it cost prohibitive.
(learned) Wed 02-Dec-20 16:49:47
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Let's hope for the OP's sake that it's simply a database oversight. smile
Standard User williaa68
(newbie) Wed 02-Dec-20 17:38:13
Print Post

Apologies if this is a dumb question but is there an element of first in best dressed here for those where it does show as available? There are only about 35 houses on our street - would it be normal to lay the fibre and not have the capacity to connect everyone that it passes?

I have thought about trying to persuade our neighbour to upgrade and then piggy-backing off his!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Dec-20 23:02:13
Print Post

Roll-out these days is meant to have 120% port capacity so should be able to have every house covered take a service

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to