General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Feb-21 17:25:32
Print Post

Re: BTW FTTP wholesale cost on the way down?

[re: ModemMan] [link to this post]

Sorry I don't have any more info; these are just collected links that others have posted. I think someone said they'd used the "Bristol" one even though they weren't in Bristol. But you have to do the order online; these are not for when placing an order over the phone.

Check carefully the terms in each deal, e.g. whether a cashback card is included. Remember with BT you'll have in-contact price rises of at least 3.9% per year, and the price will go up at the end too unless you re-contract.
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Sat 20-Feb-21 19:56:55
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Sorry I don't have any more info; these are just collected links that others have posted. I think someone said they'd used the "Bristol" one even though they weren't in Bristol. But you have to do the order online; these are not for when placing an order over the phone.

Check carefully the terms in each deal, e.g. whether a cashback card is included. Remember with BT you'll have in-contact price rises of at least 3.9% per year, and the price will go up at the end too unless you re-contract.

Thanks, Yeh it is only that £240 off that makes it attractive otherwise Zen would be my preferred choice with fixed lifetime price. Can't help thinking BT are shooting themselves in the foot with their new pricing policy, people will vote with their feet unless they can negotiate big discounts when recontracting.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sun 21-Feb-21 01:54:18
Print Post

They are honoured if you order online.

I got my 160/30 FTTP for £29.99 through the Bristol link and I'm near Edinburgh.
It places a normal order. All the BT customer service people see is that you're on a promotional offer.

It's not dodgy. Nowhere does it say the offer is limited to Bristol.
The page even says "See what special offers you can get where you live" and then offers those deals at any address.
Perfectly legit!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Sun 21-Feb-21 20:03:59
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
They are honoured if you order online.

I got my 160/30 FTTP for £29.99 through the Bristol link and I'm near Edinburgh.
It places a normal order. All the BT customer service people see is that you're on a promotional offer.

It's not dodgy. Nowhere does it say the offer is limited to Bristol.
The page even says "See what special offers you can get where you live" and then offers those deals at any address.
Perfectly legit!

Thanks for that, it's nice to know the offer is honoured online. I'm still trying to decide between the BT offer and accept their annual price increases or going with Zen's fixed price for life (£9 more and slower speed 100Mb vs 150Mb) . Mind you with the £29.99 BT deal it would take a good few years before Zen becomes worthwhile. So on the face of it I should go with BT as I could always jump ship in the future but that's assuming FTTP doesn't generally become more expensive, at which point the Zen price might look cheap. Also switching FTTP needs to become seamless as I wouldn't want to loose my fibre port to sombody else whos been waiting if pirts become congested. Apparrently that could happen as FTTP becomes more popular. Sorry I'm waffelling now so thanks again for your reply, cheers.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 21-Feb-21 20:10:22
Print Post

To my knowledge with FTTP once the ONT is registered with the OLT back in the exchange it remains as such, even if the subscribers service is deactivated. It’s not really like FTTC in that respect - PON ports are effectively virtual in the exchange, there isn’t any swap or disconnection as such.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Feb-21 20:11:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by ModemMan:
Also switching FTTP needs to become seamless as I wouldn't want to loose my fibre port to sombody else whos been waiting if pirts become congested. Apparrently that could happen as FTTP becomes more popular.

That's not the case. It doesn't work like FTTC, where you get physically patched to a port on a DSLAM card in the cabinet - and if there are not enough ports to go around, someone has to go without service.

With FTTP, up to 32 properties are *statically* connected to a splitter, which in turn has one *permanent* fibre connection to an OLT port in the headend exchange. Changing providers can never have the problem you described; it's always just a logical configuration at the exchange.
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Sun 21-Feb-21 22:17:48
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Thanks to you both, some interesting info there. I was thinking of the fibre manifold on our pole, there is an 8 port manifold which is probably enough but I assume FTTP uses one port per house so I could that be a point of congestion depending on how many houses would be relying on that pole.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Feb-21 08:06:48
Print Post

Thanks to you both, some interesting info there. I was thinking of the fibre manifold on our pole, there is an 8 port manifold which is probably enough but I assume FTTP uses one port per house so I could that be a point of congestion depending on how many houses would be relying on that pole.

You're right, it's one port per house. However, Openreach normally provision capacity at 100%-120% - which of course is necessary to support future withdrawal of the copper network. Even if you were in an unlikely location where they didn't, they're not going to climb a pole and unplug your connection just while you're changing ISP; and there's no "wait list" for waiting for a manifold port to become available. So you can sleep well smile
Standard User ModemMan
(regular) Mon 22-Feb-21 09:02:08
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

You're right, it's one port per house. However, Openreach normally provision capacity at 100%-120% - which of course is necessary to support future withdrawal of the copper network. Even if you were in an unlikely location where they didn't, they're not going to climb a pole and unplug your connection just while you're changing ISP; and there's no "wait list" for waiting for a manifold port to become available. So you can sleep well smile

Thanks, yes I was probably being a bit paranoid. I had read an article where ports on poles had all been used up and not enough capacity for all the houses. Looking back that report was referring to areas in London where some houses had been converted to flats and therefore exceeded the number of ports. I doubt if that will ever be a problem in mg rural area. There are some newly built houses across the road but they are supplied via underground ducting and they were already there when OR installed fiber in the area so hopefully accounted for.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Mon 22-Feb-21 09:44:01
Print Post

Thanks, yes I was probably being a bit paranoid. I had read an article where ports on poles had all been used up and not enough capacity for all the houses. Looking back that report was referring to areas in London where some houses had been converted to flats and therefore exceeded the number of ports. I doubt if that will ever be a problem in mg rural area. There are some newly built houses across the road but they are supplied via underground ducting and they were already there when OR installed fiber in the area so hopefully accounted for.

This recent article by any chance?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/02/an-unu...

Too much "pole load" referred to above

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to