General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 18:37:29
Print Post

Re: Openreach Installs Jan '21

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
There are various comments in threads about whether OR will be continuing with installs - planned, scheduled or future.

A single thread about peoples experience or statements from BT or OR will keep it all together.

I am awaiting an FTTP install to replace FTTC and scheduled for Wednesday 13th.

I finally spoke with OR this afternoon and was told that some work had already been cancelled such as "socket shifts". Upgrades may/maynot proceed and similarly new installs would be dependent on the property.

In my case, they were unsure of the status at present - and it will be confirmed on Monday. My offer to do the internals has been taken seriously and escalated however, the order management team could not give a definite yes/no - similarly it will be decided by Monday.

Maybe it depends on the OR team doing the works. I had a surveyor attend site in central London last Thursday, for a leased line survey. No problem at all. The OR install folks are expected to be back do internal and external legs of the fibre blow in the next 10 days. Theres been no indication that they can't or wont attend internally.

Personally I'm cool with it.

I've had all manner of trades in every single day here, pre and post Covid. As long as folks take precautions its fine by me. If I was to stop completely I'd never get anything built. On the flip side personably I'd go broke too as I have to travel /etc to work.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 12-Jan-21 18:41:47
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

My understanding was that they would only build to the curtilage in highest risk areas, unless it's for critical services.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 18:54:47
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
My understanding was that they would only build to the curtilage in highest risk areas, unless it's for critical services.

I'll let you know if matters change, but neither the CP or Openreach have indicated that there are restrictions to them working indoors to complete the order. They have said they will complete all works in a single visit. As we know circumstances can change dramatically and quickly, so will keep and open mind until its fully in.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 12-Jan-21 19:05:12
Print Post

They may be allowing local Rick assessment for business connections in which case you maybe fortunate
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-21 19:58:54
Print Post

Maybe it depends on the OR team doing the works. I had a surveyor attend site in central London last Thursday, for a leased line survey. No problem at all. The OR install folks are expected to be back do internal and external legs of the fibre blow in the next 10 days. Theres been no indication that they can't or wont attend internally.

Yep, that’s BAU fibre .... money talks.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-21 20:09:21
Print Post

[re: bigbadjon303] [link to this post]

BT said that at the moment if you have a working internet connection then they are not coming in to finish the installation, which is mental as you are then classed as "Beyond the point of no return".

So no thought for the increased risk to both you and indeed the Openreach staff then ?

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 12-Jan-21 21:35:09
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Have cancelled the install - earliest is now 24 March.

Spoke with the Cloud Voice Team yesterday and their comment was "it should work, plug it in on Wednesday and try it out" If it works, fine, if not may well need to wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User bigbadjon303
(newbie) Tue 12-Jan-21 22:01:36
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That is not my issue and I totally agree with their decision to keep OR staff and customers safe.

My issue is that OR and BT have left me high and dry and have left it so late in telling me "it won't work" that by rights I should have no internet by now and my current ISP cannot start my contract again - as BT said, you are now in limbo. Luckily a Manager at BT is been really helpful so far.

There should be something in place that stops situations arising like mine and if they do there should be a system where an ISP can resume a service without the threat of the current service stopping at any time.

It's not as if Covid just started this year is it! I should have been told before the event not after partial installation. I wasn't even given the option. The internet is now critical even more to peoples livelihoods and in my Partners job to other peoples lives.

Edited by bigbadjon303 (Tue 12-Jan-21 22:02:57)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Jan-21 22:29:01
Print Post

[re: bigbadjon303] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bigbadjon303:
There should be something in place that stops situations arising like mine and if they do there should be a system where an ISP can resume a service without the threat of the current service stopping at any time.

There is?

I've had 2 failed migrations fail on switch day (both due to OpenReach).
The current service continued in both cases.

If your line stays connected it's not magic by BT, it's because OpenReach haven't progressed the migration.

Might not be so simple on an FTTC to FTTP migration but a decent ISP will keep the connection running, as should OpenReach.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to