General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 07-Jan-21 20:36:31
Print Post

Openreach Installs Jan '21

[link to this post]

There are various comments in threads about whether OR will be continuing with installs - planned, scheduled or future.

A single thread about peoples experience or statements from BT or OR will keep it all together.

I am awaiting an FTTP install to replace FTTC and scheduled for Wednesday 13th.

I finally spoke with OR this afternoon and was told that some work had already been cancelled such as "socket shifts". Upgrades may/maynot proceed and similarly new installs would be dependent on the property.

In my case, they were unsure of the status at present - and it will be confirmed on Monday. My offer to do the internals has been taken seriously and escalated however, the order management team could not give a definite yes/no - similarly it will be decided by Monday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User bobo_uk
(newbie) Fri 08-Jan-21 18:02:40
Print Post

Re: Openreach Installs Jan '21

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Ca I ask how you contacted Openreach please to check and what information you needed to give them?

I have an order for FTTP due to be installed next Friday via BT.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 08-Jan-21 18:29:33
Print Post

[re: bobo_uk] [link to this post]

Through the Order Management Team I use - three way call, myself, BT Order Mgmt, OpenReach

M H C

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Jan-21 22:26:36
Print Post

[re: bobo_uk] [link to this post]

You need to contact the service provider you placed the order with. You deal with them, and they deal with Openreach.
Standard User TheInstaller
(learned) Fri 08-Jan-21 23:41:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
There are various comments in threads about whether OR will be continuing with installs - planned, scheduled or future.

A single thread about peoples experience or statements from BT or OR will keep it all together.

I finally spoke with OR this afternoon and was told that some work had already been cancelled such as "socket shifts". Upgrades may/maynot proceed and similarly new installs would be dependent on the property.

In my case, they were unsure of the status at present - and it will be confirmed on Monday. My offer to do the internals has been taken seriously and escalated however, the order management team could not give a definite yes/no - similarly it will be decided by Monday.

As you've previously said in other posts you already have a 70+meg connection, which i assume is stable. Therefore i would expect your order to be delayed until after 1st March.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 08-Jan-21 23:47:23
Print Post

[re: TheInstaller] [link to this post]

If they say NO to me doing the internals, then I will cancel it. I have heard that some upgrade installs have happened yesterday and today. However, I am not willing to have a third party on the premises at present.

If they say it will be cancelled, then fine.

As of earlier this evening it is still showing as scheduled for Wednesday 13th.

I will however push for the voice migration from copper to CV.

M H C

Standard User TheInstaller
(learned) Sat 09-Jan-21 00:27:27
Print Post

I'd expect the call for a reschedule to be honest.

Once the virus is under control and you get your installation date confirmed, then i'm sure you could speak to the engineer on the day regarding doing the internals yourself. Speaking to your provider on the phone about it in advance most likely will not get through to the engineer who turns up on the day, plus you will be telling someone at your provider something they will probably have no knowledge of.

Ultimately you'll need to have a chat with whoever turns up on the day, tell them what you've done and let them know that you are happy to do x y z. As pointed out in other threads though, the overhead cable will need to go into a CSP at ground level first before entering your house, so the inside and outside cables can be spliced together.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-21 00:43:52
Print Post

I will however push for the voice migration from copper to CV.

Seeing as you already had an issue migrating the copper landline number to FTTP VOIP do you think it's wise to insist on another step.
You will be migrating from PSTN, to FTTC VOIP temporarily, then to FTTP VOIP.

That all likely wouldn't be automated. You aren't even taking an FTTC VOIP service.

Is the order with BT residential or BT Business?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 09-Jan-21 01:19:23
Print Post

Not a problem rescheduling - just need them to confirm it.

Overall, it would be nice and simple. Drop wire to same point as copper, down to ground. Internal through conduit, although it is basically a straight forward accessible run the conduit adds protection and will be much easier. From where that ends, again, straight down to the ground for splicing.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 09-Jan-21 01:22:27
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

What is the difference between FTTC VoIP and FTTP VoIP? Surely, the bearer is irrelelevant?

It is with BT Business, hub, 4G andYealink phone are now here waiting!

M H C

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-21 08:46:48
Print Post

However, I am not willing to have a third party on the premises at present.

IMO that trumps everything else. Phone up your CP (BT Business), tell them to cancel the appointment, and reschedule for March/April or whenever you choose.

Since this is a "business" service, an automatic cancellation may not take place: it's possible they treat business orders as different to residential ones, even if the property itself is residential.

If an engineer does turn up and you refuse them access, then you may get charged a missed appointment fee.
Standard User _Icaras_
(newbie) Sat 09-Jan-21 10:02:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by TheInstaller:

As you've previously said in other posts you already have a 70+meg connection, which i assume is stable. Therefore i would expect your order to be delayed until after 1st March.

It depends I think. My friend’s FTTP install was completed yesterday by a contractor. I’m thinking if Openreach had already decided a particular install was to go to the contractors then they’re letting them complete.

If the install was to be completed by direct labour then I’d say that has a much higher chance of being cancelled.

Icaras
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 09-Jan-21 10:41:00
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Just waiting to see if OR finally agree to part and part install - been done before with copper services, and elsewhere I have managed differing installs with OR just providing the final connection. That includes running and installing fibre - although not FTTP.

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Jan-21 13:08:32
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

IMO that trumps everything else. Phone up your CP (BT Business), tell them to cancel the appointment, and reschedule for March/April or whenever you choose.

I’d have to say I agree ....

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Jan-21 15:38:19
Print Post

I'm with you, I would wait until they confirm if they are willing to allow a delegated internal install (by you), cancelling/rescheduling before you know that doesn't make sense to me. It would be like throwing a lottery ticket away before the numbers have been drawn even though you know your unlikely to win there is always a chance.
Standard User burble
(committed) Sat 09-Jan-21 17:26:56
Print Post

I've given TTB a few days, will ring them up Monday and cancel FTTP install until later date, that will be 7 days notice. I'll stick with 5Mb for a few more weeks/months, as CV-19 is bad around here at moment.
Standard User burble
(committed) Mon 11-Jan-21 19:00:38
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

Well that's my FTTP install postponed until such time as CV-19 abates in our area, or I get given a jab, although gf is likely to be a month or two after me at getting a jab.
Standard User bigbadjon303
(newbie) Tue 12-Jan-21 15:04:23
Print Post

I had a terrible experience yesterday - OR fitted all the external gear (after realising they needed a platform) then said the couldn't come inside to finish.

The Engineer upon leaving said "you might want to call BT as your internet connection could be effected"

So I was then on the phone for 2 hrs to BT trying to sort out what was going to happen from midnight as I was changing ISPS.

Both me and my partner are working from home and it's critical that our Internet is working!!

BT said that at the moment if you have a working internet connection then they are not coming in to finish the installation, which is mental as you are then classed as "Beyond the point of no return".

I've made a complaint.
Standard User wolvesmad
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jan-21 16:52:37
Print Post

[re: bigbadjon303] [link to this post]

It's not just Openreach I had the same with Sky. TV installer turned up and said he couldn't come inside.

-

SkyUltrafast FTTP 150
Standard User FarmerStuart
(newbie) Tue 12-Jan-21 17:20:10
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

I had the same in the first lockdown, worked out very nicely as he fitted the dish and ran the cable up the outside of the house into the loft where I took over did the internal run and then passed the cable out the window for him to terminate.
One install ticked off the list, he didn't have to come in the house and less work for him plus I got the internal cable run the way I wanted it and enough slack I can move it elsewhere without troubling them.
Just remembered Sky warned me in advance that this was the case so I was prepared for it.

Moving back on topic, if Openreach can't do internal work does that mean they will be splitting the installs and doing the outside work first before returning to do the internal work when it is safe to do so?
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 18:37:29
Print Post

Maybe it depends on the OR team doing the works. I had a surveyor attend site in central London last Thursday, for a leased line survey. No problem at all. The OR install folks are expected to be back do internal and external legs of the fibre blow in the next 10 days. Theres been no indication that they can't or wont attend internally.

Personally I'm cool with it.

I've had all manner of trades in every single day here, pre and post Covid. As long as folks take precautions its fine by me. If I was to stop completely I'd never get anything built. On the flip side personably I'd go broke too as I have to travel /etc to work.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 12-Jan-21 18:41:47
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

My understanding was that they would only build to the curtilage in highest risk areas, unless it's for critical services.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 18:54:47
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
My understanding was that they would only build to the curtilage in highest risk areas, unless it's for critical services.

I'll let you know if matters change, but neither the CP or Openreach have indicated that there are restrictions to them working indoors to complete the order. They have said they will complete all works in a single visit. As we know circumstances can change dramatically and quickly, so will keep and open mind until its fully in.
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 12-Jan-21 19:05:12
Print Post

They may be allowing local Rick assessment for business connections in which case you maybe fortunate
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-21 19:58:54
Print Post

Maybe it depends on the OR team doing the works. I had a surveyor attend site in central London last Thursday, for a leased line survey. No problem at all. The OR install folks are expected to be back do internal and external legs of the fibre blow in the next 10 days. Theres been no indication that they can't or wont attend internally.

Yep, that’s BAU fibre .... money talks.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-21 20:09:21
Print Post

BT said that at the moment if you have a working internet connection then they are not coming in to finish the installation, which is mental as you are then classed as "Beyond the point of no return".

So no thought for the increased risk to both you and indeed the Openreach staff then ?

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 12-Jan-21 21:35:09
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Have cancelled the install - earliest is now 24 March.

Spoke with the Cloud Voice Team yesterday and their comment was "it should work, plug it in on Wednesday and try it out" If it works, fine, if not may well need to wait.

M H C

Standard User bigbadjon303
(newbie) Tue 12-Jan-21 22:01:36
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

That is not my issue and I totally agree with their decision to keep OR staff and customers safe.

My issue is that OR and BT have left me high and dry and have left it so late in telling me "it won't work" that by rights I should have no internet by now and my current ISP cannot start my contract again - as BT said, you are now in limbo. Luckily a Manager at BT is been really helpful so far.

There should be something in place that stops situations arising like mine and if they do there should be a system where an ISP can resume a service without the threat of the current service stopping at any time.

It's not as if Covid just started this year is it! I should have been told before the event not after partial installation. I wasn't even given the option. The internet is now critical even more to peoples livelihoods and in my Partners job to other peoples lives.

Edited by bigbadjon303 (Tue 12-Jan-21 22:02:57)

Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Jan-21 22:29:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by bigbadjon303:
There should be something in place that stops situations arising like mine and if they do there should be a system where an ISP can resume a service without the threat of the current service stopping at any time.

There is?

I've had 2 failed migrations fail on switch day (both due to OpenReach).
The current service continued in both cases.

If your line stays connected it's not magic by BT, it's because OpenReach haven't progressed the migration.

Might not be so simple on an FTTC to FTTP migration but a decent ISP will keep the connection running, as should OpenReach.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to