A single thread about peoples experience or statements from BT or OR will keep it all together.
I am awaiting an FTTP install to replace FTTC and scheduled for Wednesday 13th.
I finally spoke with OR this afternoon and was told that some work had already been cancelled such as "socket shifts". Upgrades may/maynot proceed and similarly new installs would be dependent on the property.
In my case, they were unsure of the status at present - and it will be confirmed on Monday. My offer to do the internals has been taken seriously and escalated however, the order management team could not give a definite yes/no - similarly it will be decided by Monday.
Maybe it depends on the OR team doing the works. I had a surveyor attend site in central London last Thursday, for a leased line survey. No problem at all. The OR install folks are expected to be back do internal and external legs of the fibre blow in the next 10 days. Theres been no indication that they can't or wont attend internally.
Personally I'm cool with it.
I've had all manner of trades in every single day here, pre and post Covid. As long as folks take precautions its fine by me. If I was to stop completely I'd never get anything built. On the flip side personably I'd go broke too as I have to travel /etc to work.