General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chriswillsher
(learned) Tue 12-Jan-21 16:08:06
Print Post

Re: How does splicing / splitting work?

[re: shortshrift27] [link to this post]

I don't really know what I am talking about. I only said "secondary" as there has been some discussion elsewhere in this thread if what we have in the ground is a splitter or an aggregation node.
This should show a picture of what is on some of the poles. As I understand it from information on the web this could be a DP, or a splitter or a splitter/DP or a transition joint.

https://i.postimg.cc/DZz4BvN0/IMG-4862.jpg
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 12-Jan-21 16:53:12
Print Post

[re: chriswillsher] [link to this post]

I thinks is a Fibre DP
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Jan-21 17:22:10
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
I thinks is a Fibre DP
Thats in line with what Zarjaz told the OP regarding that pic on 14th July 2020

Edit: he also told the OP that below is a blown fibre node, possibly a splitter.
In reply to a post by chriswillsher:
Better quality image - I hope

Edited by dect (Tue 12-Jan-21 17:26:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 12-Jan-21 17:33:18
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I wont argue with that!
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 18:27:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Ask the people doing that job if they would rather break into an existing armoured cable or access it at a point designed for splitting, hence called a splitter.

Also what they do on sub sea cables is a whole different league of costs e.g. if running a new fibre is cheaper they would do that rather than disturb an active cable.

Indeed. The only time they would 'splice' a submarine cable was if it sustained damag (storm, anchor drag etc) or one the in-line amps needed maintenance. Even then they have loads of redundancy, as getting a cable ship out to fix is a tad more expensive than a couple of blokes from Kelly or Morrison in a white van packing a Type-72C under their arm wink
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Tue 12-Jan-21 18:36:45
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Wrong they splice submarine cables for additional drop points.

I randomly caught a TV show on Quest once where they where doing it. The cable was live and continuously transmitting data on the other fibres while they hauled it up from the ocean floor, cut into the armoured cable and spliced the new drop cable in, then sealed it all back up and lowered it to the bottom of the ocean again.

Sure in a different league than on land, but then one could reasonably conclude it's a lot easier and cheaper to do on land. For starters you don't need a crewed ocean going vessel that costs hundreds of millions to buy and run.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Tue 12-Jan-21 18:40:26
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Wrong they splice submarine cables for additional drop points.

I randomly caught a TV show on Quest once where they where doing it. The cable was live and continuously transmitting data on the other fibres while they hauled it up from the ocean floor, cut into the armoured cable and spliced the new drop cable in, then sealed it all back up and lowered it to the bottom of the ocean again.

Sure in a different league than on land, but then one could reasonably conclude it's a lot easier and cheaper to do on land. For starters you don't need a crewed ocean going vessel that costs hundreds of millions to buy and run.

Depends on the link Mr Buzzard. Some are straight point to point and others are multi-point.
Standard User weesteev
(newbie) Tue 12-Jan-21 21:45:13
Print Post

Hi Chris

I live not far from you (just South of Kinross). I would be happy to drop by the area some time and show you the openreach maps for the region and walk you through the infrastructure if that would help? Drop me a PM and we can catch up sometime.

Cheers

Although I work for Virgin Media, all comments are a personal opinion and not a direct expression of my employer wink
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-21 21:49:59
Print Post

Those aren’t ‘secondary splitters’ they are just ‘track nodes’ a network joint.

In the current GPON set up there is only ever one splitter node.

Standard User Fastman3
(member) Tue 12-Jan-21 22:02:25
Print Post

thos premsises will likley be left with a joint probably provided as par of your build as it will have passed them on the way (lit is likely that this will cost them significantly more per premise if and when they realise that the fibre is outside there premise but the scheme has missed them that the average cost per premise on your overall scheme
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to