General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User McShaneDCFC
(newbie) Wed 13-Jan-21 16:20:06
Print Post

Openreach connect my community flyer

[link to this post]

I got one of these through the letterbox today asking me to pledge my gigabit voucher to openreach.

I don’t think it is linked to a community led fibre project, it just looks like openreach being proactive. Has anyone heard of this before?

When I go on the openreach website it says that once we meet the target for properties pledged they will build the network, but it doesn’t say what the target is. I will need to email them and ask smile
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jan-21 16:38:10
Print Post

Re: Openreach connect my community flyer

[re: McShaneDCFC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by McShaneDCFC:
I got one of these through the letterbox today asking me to pledge my gigabit voucher to openreach.

I don’t think it is linked to a community led fibre project, it just looks like openreach being proactive. Has anyone heard of this before?

When I go on the openreach website it says that once we meet the target for properties pledged they will build the network, but it doesn’t say what the target is. I will need to email them and ask smile
Could you add a link to a pic of the flyer?
(newbie) Wed 13-Jan-21 16:50:51
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Yes, will do, just need to figure out how to do that smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 13-Jan-21 16:55:50
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Hopefully these links work...

https://imgshare.io/image/N4APUy
https://imgshare.io/image/N4AWF6
Standard User jpm
(member) Wed 13-Jan-21 16:58:57
Print Post

Sounds like a demand-led community fibre project. Pledging your voucher basically means you agree to take an FTTP service from a provider on the Openreach network within a certain amount of time after the network is built, and then once there have been enough commitments for the project to be commercially viable, they do the build.

If you wanted to pool all your vouchers with an altnet instead then you could presumably do that, at the expense of restricting your ISP choice.
(newbie) Wed 13-Jan-21 17:02:52
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

Yeah it seems that way to me too but it appears openreach is taking the lead in terms of organisation of the scheme rather than a member of the public which I thought was interesting. 9 people have signed up so fingers crossed we get a few more pledges.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jan-21 17:08:30
Print Post

Thanks for linking to the pics

Good luck and hope you get enough local pledges to make it happen smile
Standard User jpm
(member) Wed 13-Jan-21 19:36:28
Print Post

Yeah it seems that way to me too but it appears openreach is taking the lead in terms of organisation of the scheme rather than a member of the public which I thought was interesting. 9 people have signed up so fingers crossed we get a few more pledges.

Are you sure nobody in your area expressed an interest in the CFP scheme? There's been instances reported here of CFPs in Northern Ireland being submitted and then picked up by OR as a demand-led process where they end up doing all the legwork.
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Wed 13-Jan-21 22:43:50
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

it could be someone registered or when the numbers were run the voucher eligibility and coverage make sense (assuming you get enough pledges)- so there will be an amount that need to be covered , i assume thay if you click on the link and enter your postcode it will tell you what scheme you are included and how many need to pledge to make it viable
(newbie) Wed 13-Jan-21 22:52:43
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

I’ve had another look, the target number of pledges isn’t there but I can see this.

“ Your area is eligible!
Great news, this postcode is eligible for our Demand Led Community Fibre Patnership build project. Come together as a community for faster broadband. Pledge your voucher now, and encourage others in your community to do the same.”

I didn’t realise that this was even a thing that openreach done, I had been thinking about a community fibre partnership but the thought of the admin really put me off so this is great. (Assuming enough people sign up which they might not as they already get fttc and the price for that is a lot lower than ultrafast)

I’m going to email openreach and ask about the number of premises required
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 14-Jan-21 08:08:37
Print Post

Assuming enough people sign up which they might not as they already get fttc and the price for that is a lot lower than ultrafast)

Then it might be worth pointing out that they can still get the standard speed services , maybe with a more limited number of providers. Unless they are getting good FTTC speeds already the move to FTTP will greatly improve even the 80/20 services for little or no extra.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Thu 14-Jan-21 08:18:27
Print Post

(Assuming enough people sign up which they might not as they already get fttc and the price for that is a lot lower than ultrafast)

Sorry fo not paying attention: how does this work? I assumed the subsidised / voucher / government schemes to bribe Openreach into building their network were only available in areas with very poor connectivity. If people already have FTTC they will have over 30Mb/s, many could have much faster speeds. How / why is there a scheme here?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 14-Jan-21 09:04:18
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
... were only available in areas with very poor connectivity. If people already have FTTC they will have over 30Mb/s, many could have much faster speeds.

Not necessarily. One area I know of has FTTC available with an extremely high take up. The best speed there is around 6Mbps. Even with vouchers the cost is still too high.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Jan-21 09:51:24
Print Post

why is there a scheme here?
The numbers must stack up for Openreach (subject to the vouchers being pledged), if there is money on the table from the government its a good option for Openreach, certainly cheaper than a commercial rollout for them and the end user benefits as well.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Thu 14-Jan-21 09:54:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
One area I know of has FTTC available with an extremely high take up. The best speed there is around 6Mbps.

Really. Surely that's well below the Hand Back Threshold? I'm surprised people are sold a connection so slow on FTTC. They must be a long way from the cabinet.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 14-Jan-21 10:10:21
Print Post

Once they knew it could be provided, even at those speeds, they jumped at it. ADSL was running at around 1 Mbps.

Have just called up one of the lines:

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 3.6 1.4 1.2 0.8 1 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 3.6 1.4 1.2 0.8 1 Available Available --

ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps)
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1

Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 3.09
Max Observed Upstream Speed 0.92

So, max 3.6, actual achieved 3.1 and handback at 1.0 Still 3x faster than ADSL

Some that are marginally closer get 5-6 Mbps (on a good day)

Also, in the village where the cabinet is located, most are up at 70+ compared to the sub-5 ADSL, just this "hamlet" is totally isolated.

M H C

Edited by MHC (Thu 14-Jan-21 10:51:33)

Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Thu 14-Jan-21 10:29:02
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Assuming enough people sign up which they might not as they already get fttc and the price for that is a lot lower than ultrafast)

Then it might be worth pointing out that they can still get the standard speed services , maybe with a more limited number of providers. Unless they are getting good FTTC speeds already the move to FTTP will greatly improve even the 80/20 services for little or no extra.

This is something that is often overlooked IMHO. Very few people get the full speed out of a 80/20 connection so even if you don't initially take a higher speed package you will invariably get a higher speed.

The other factor is that poor broadband is likely to effect the selling price of your property. As such getting an FTTP connection is likely to add well more than any additional cost from a more expensive fibre package to the value of your property and it could be many years before a commercial FTTP roll out hits your property if you don't take this opportunity.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 14-Jan-21 10:42:02
Print Post

One area I know of has FTTC available with an extremely high take up. The best speed there is around 6Mbps.

Really. Surely that's well below the Hand Back Threshold?

No: the hand back threshold is different for each line, and depends on the distance from the cabinet. It's the speed above which the line is considered working "as expected", i.e. there's no fault.

I'm surprised people are sold a connection so slow on FTTC. They must be a long way from the cabinet.

If you had a choice between 6Mbps on FTTC or 1Mbps on ADSL, then you'd probably take FTTC. In any case, the cost differential between FTTC and ADSL is now close to zero, or actually zero for some providers.

You can see a rough idea of speed versus distance for VDSL here:
https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-...

Actual speeds may be slightly higher these days with things like 3dB SNR target and G.INP, although on the flip side, increased take-up of FTTC has resulted in increased crosstalk which reduces speeds.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Jan-21 11:12:17
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
This is something that is often overlooked IMHO. Very few people get the full speed out of a 80/20 connection so even if you don't initially take a higher speed package you will invariably get a higher speed.
I recall when FTTC was being planned the design was for a high percentage (maybe 70% ?) to achieve 40/10 Mbps, at the average 500 metres of cable to the PCP. At 450 metres, my line managed 50/6 at best, which collapsed to 41/3 when I left. I blame crosstalk. I have friends at 400 metres whom have 60/18 for example.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 14-Jan-21 14:38:00
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Just so many variables and cross talk or external noise can only ever be estimated and they may well have failed to account for cross talk from other non-adsl devices being conducted along the lines too.

I have a 455m line - from a TDR measurement and it started with max attainable of over 90 with upstream at 25, that has now collapsed to 71/15 and at times some other noise source sends my connection down to about 50-55 down but 15 up!

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to