General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 20-Jan-21 16:28:07
Print Post

CFP questions

[link to this post]

Openreach say no plans, pay us with CFP if you want FTTP.

Its an urban area so no gigabit vouchers. Before I email the CFP people at OR, what sort of cost have people been seeing? There are a couple of hundred houses in my urban estate, all new with ducts and FTTC. The lucky ones have 70 Mbps, lots 40, plenty 30. A dozen actually have full fat gigabit FTTP...

Edited by Woolwich (Wed 20-Jan-21 16:29:19)

Standard User Whitehall11
(learned) Wed 20-Jan-21 16:57:07
Print Post

Re: CFP questions

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Really depends - The more houses, the lower per mile cost is the basic formula offer.

Openreach will cover their commerical scope costs, so if on the border of plans already or within their existing remit.

We've got a CFP progressing at the moment with 116 properties at a £58k cost to the community with the remaining costs being covered by OR. This is for a rural CFP which means it's stringing fibre around 3/4km from the AG Node.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 20-Jan-21 17:05:21
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Whitehall11:
We've got a CFP progressing at the moment with 116 properties at a £58k cost to the community

What sort of speeds do these houses have now? I guess for £500 they're going to want to see a real improvement. My concern is plenty people near me already have 70 - 80 Mbps...

STOP PRESS: Turns out OR do have plans to build in a couple of streets. I can't work out their planning decision. So now there's fewer houses, so greater cost?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Wed 20-Jan-21 17:42:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
We've got a CFP progressing at the moment with 116 properties at a £58k cost to the community

What sort of speeds do these houses have now? I guess for £500 they're going to want to see a real improvement. My concern is plenty people near me already have 70 - 80 Mbps...

STOP PRESS: Turns out OR do have plans to build in a couple of streets. I can't work out their planning decision. So now there's fewer houses, so greater cost?

We have 2 Cabinets - 1 main one and 1 infill, which delivers mix of speeds from 80 - 5 mpbs, so this CFP scheme is designed to fix that and offer 1gbps to all of these properties.

If OR already have plans in place it may make your cost cheaper, since they're already planning works and any spine works, but of course it's all subject to survey. Theres no harm in signing up via the website and getting a quote.
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 20-Jan-21 18:04:06
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

Theres no harm in signing up via the website and getting a quote.

How many other neighbours do you need as a start, to make it worth getting them to quote? (I know its at least one other, but at this point are they just looking at your street or do you say "I think some folk in the next street night be interested too"?

I don't think anyone nearby has anything lower than 30Mbps.

Edited by Woolwich (Wed 20-Jan-21 18:05:06)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Jan-21 18:47:07
Print Post

Before Covid came along you would have been best knocking on doors and finding out who was interested and willing to contribute and then creating your list of properties from that. I really don't know the best way now.
(learned) Wed 20-Jan-21 20:24:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
Theres no harm in signing up via the website and getting a quote.

How many other neighbours do you need as a start, to make it worth getting them to quote? (I know its at least one other, but at this point are they just looking at your street or do you say "I think some folk in the next street night be interested too"?

I don't think anyone nearby has anything lower than 30Mbps.

The approach i took was to get a few parties interested and then we put in the details for the whole village just to see what the cash amount would be. OR then put a bigger list of houses together that was on the route to my village and subsequently increased the amount they would cover.

Once we got the quote, i did a mailshot to all 116 houses and we got a good response level on the OR demand led scheme
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Wed 20-Jan-21 20:41:47
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

seeing if you got a local residents association , community , town facebook page and see what response you get that way
Standard User jpm
(member) Wed 20-Jan-21 21:31:17
Print Post

Probably irrelevant numbers considering it will vary wildly by location, but I opened a CFP query about six months ago to look at the costs of providing FTTP to five properties in a suburban location, all on underground ducted feeds and it came back at £15k

Edited by jpm (Wed 20-Jan-21 21:32:33)

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Wed 20-Jan-21 21:35:23
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

Yes, people occasionally moan the local Facebook. I really don't want to start something if the answer is going to be a couple of grand. Aren't vouchers worth £1500 and then its whatever - £500? - on top. So with no vouchers it might be £2000. That's not an amount I can put my hands on right now and I guess most others would be in the same situation given the situation.

That's the trouble, not knowing the price of an unknown length of string. Or, if you have to ask, you can't afford...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to