General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Sun 31-Jan-21 22:06:54
Print Post

Re: NTE5C & RJ45?

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
An RJ45 connector will fit a normal faceplate.

Cheers, should be smoth sailing on install day.

While your here Zarjaz, my property already has one active VDSL circuit but from the point hooks onto the house (OH Line) it currently crimps with an old aged figure 8 cable,

Obviously when my additional line goes on a new cable will be run from this point to a new NTE which I plan to have right above existing old school BT NTE is it likely (specially if I ask) that the existing line would be run through new cable too?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 31-Jan-21 22:42:53
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

From experience, it can be worth getting some 2 pair RJ11 cables. Have noticed that when using 2 from 4 the result is not as good as 2 pair - don't know why.

For £2 each including postage, it is not longer worth making your own. RJ11 - 2pair Cat5e and he does them from 50cm up to several metres and in black or white.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Feb-21 06:13:45
Print Post

Are you saying that from the eaves to the current NTE is a figure 8 cable, or from the pole to the eaves ?

Either way, if you request the additional service adjacent to the current, that ought to see the obsolete section (at least) replaced with a multi pair cable like CAD55.*

* all bets are off if you get a contractor turn up for the install

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Mon 01-Feb-21 07:53:29
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Is it possible to find a BT phone plug to RJ11? So I can plug the router direct into the OR Master Test Socket. See if that gets me another 100kbps! I guess fax machines may have had this in yea olden days.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 01-Feb-21 08:24:47
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

Plenty of those around however they tend to be based on flat non-twisted pair cables so could make it worse. I've got a boxful somewhere

M H C

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Feb-21 09:44:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
It is a CAT5e using 2 of 4 pairs (Greens and Blues)

https://imgur.com/a/P2PIFFz

...of which only one pair is actually used: on an RJ11 I believe it's the centre two pins. (Confusing because on a 6-pin BT phone plug, it's pins 2 and 5 that carry the phone signal).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 01-Feb-21 10:05:41
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
...of which only one pair is actually used: on an RJ11 I believe it's the centre two pins. (Confusing because on a 6-pin BT phone plug, it's pins 2 and 5 that carry the phone signal).

With the 2Wire brand ADSL hubs (and probably others) there was often auto sensing, with manual override, for either 2&5 or 3&4 on an RJ11 corresponding to 3&6 and 4&5 on an RJ45. Don't know if any current modems/hubs are designed that way, but I would guess they possibly are.

M H C

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Feb-21 10:44:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
From experience, it can be worth getting some 2 pair RJ11 cables. Have noticed that when using 2 from 4 the result is not as good as 2 pair - don't know why.

For £2 each including postage, it is not longer worth making your own. RJ11 - 2pair Cat5e and he does them from 50cm up to several metres and in black or white.

Thanks but no need, I've been making my own for years, brought one from ebay few years back and it fell apart and my own have yet to let me down, put 5000kbps extra on the old line here the other day.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Feb-21 10:47:00
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Are you saying that from the eaves to the current NTE is a figure 8 cable, or from the pole to the eaves ?

Indeed from the eaves to the NTE, looks like the pole directly at the front of my house was replaced a few years ago so now drops to houses where done.

Hopefully I get OR but got a feeling it might be Kelly.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Feb-21 10:48:06
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
It is a CAT5e using 2 of 4 pairs (Greens and Blues)

https://imgur.com/a/P2PIFFz

...of which only one pair is actually used: on an RJ11 I believe it's the centre two pins.

Correct.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to