General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 01-Feb-21 10:55:42
Print Post

Re: NTE5C & RJ45?

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Agree there is plenty of rubbish out there, and the link is to one decent supplier! And at his prices, way cheaper than I could make them for allowing for my time too.

I will still suggest using 2 pair rather than 4 pair ... it also fits in RJ11/12 connectors quite easily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Feb-21 12:04:27
Print Post

Fingers crossed.

It’s a second line, and at present only a single pair to where the second line is required ... it ought to get fixed.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Feb-21 12:46:45
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Fingers crossed.

It’s a second line, and at present only a single pair to where the second line is required ... it ought to get fixed.

We'll see I suppose, the only thing I can see the guy doing is changing the NTE, so I guess that'll be an ebay job.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Feb-21 12:51:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Agree there is plenty of rubbish out there, and the link is to one decent supplier! And at his prices, way cheaper than I could make them for allowing for my time too.

I will still suggest using 2 pair rather than 4 pair ... it also fits in RJ11/12 connectors quite easily.

But mine is better.... because I made it lol,

I don't mind putting the time and effort in, that's why I put a boot on and made a boot the other end using a couple of layers of heat shrink, and its been tested without problems.

Can't say I struggle to fit Cat5e in the Rj11 tbh.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Feb-21 14:27:37
Print Post

Re: So much for smooth sailing

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Fingers crossed.

So much for the smooth sailing, M.J Quinn engineer turned up.....

Looked at telegraph pole and said needs hoist because it was put up in 2006 and might not be safe.

Didn't want to complete any other work until he found out where hoist was because he wouldn't get paid and also apparently there is only one hoist covering west midlands and beyond and the 1 person who has it lives in Hereford.

Good work Openreach crazy
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Feb-21 10:37:12
Print Post

The plot thickens...

So the engineer who just sat around in my road for best part of 2 hours reported back that a hoist couldn't be access and that parked cars stopped any testing. *BS* however was able to activate the service at DSLAM so he would get paid.

Openreach than said issue would be resolved by 9th, its now 11th, called ISP this morning Openreach come up with some baloney and now say will be done 22nd.

Now I might just sound like an annoyed customer, and I am, but not one person has even tested from the line back to PCP, nobody has even stepped foot on the ground within 100 meters of my house.

It's lucky I've a good 4G connection with unlimited data at this address, this countries work ethics have gone too **** and its not hard to see why.
Standard User ft247
(learned) Thu 11-Feb-21 11:16:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
Openreach than said issue would be resolved by 9th, its now 11th, called ISP this morning Openreach come up with some baloney and now say will be done 22nd.
this countries work ethics have gone too ****

I have to agree, my experience getting an FTTC line last June was similar. Multiple operatives saying they had attended and were unable to complete the job. Excuses ranged from unsafe pole (it isn't marked as such and there is someone up it every two weeks) to 'the installation was more complicated than expected and a higher skilled technician was required' (is dropwire installation not a basic skill?) to the good old 'nobody was home, please pay money for missed appointment'. It was only when I told the CP that there is CCTV to the property that would prove nobody turned up that they backed down.

Two weeks later, the fifth person to be assigned the job called me and even he was shocked when I told him he was the first to make contact with me in any way. He was asking what was wrong with the site, I said it's a quiet residential street and the pole is directly outside the house. Nice guy turned up, ran new dropwire, found pair at top of pole, connected up and was done in no time.

That wasn't the end of it, a further week went by when I was being told that the jumpering at the PCP needed to be done before I could get service, and that couldn't happen as there wasn't a DSLAM port available. No amount of telling them I had VDSL sync would convince Vodafone that wasn't the truth...

It's a single DSLAM PCP, and when it was eventually resolved the sync didn't even drop so it was connected to the right port all along...

There are some good people working for Openreach but my experience is about 1 in 5 (once you count subcontractors) are the people you actually want doing the work.

It was the same trying to get a noise fault on the D-side resolved, four people wouldn't listen to me and messed about doing things like changing the dropwire (twice - and it was only a month old) and simply abandoning the job. The fifth guy listened, said I made a lot of sense and rerouted the underground D-side pair. Sync rate doubled and line stable from then on.

Edited by ft247 (Thu 11-Feb-21 11:18:52)

Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Feb-21 19:18:00
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

Well the CP 'was' on it at the start but now they don't want to probe Openreach so tomorrow I'm calling to cancel.

At most its Openreach's loss and I've decided already having one FTTC line here that I'm going to just invest that monthly fee towards 4/5G services.

I've ordered a 5G phone today to carry on my 'hobby' of tracking 4/5G networks, my Pixel 4a is a good 4G device but with it running secure CalyX OS its limited on processing data, and I want to keep that phone locked down.

4G speeds on that are currently 100-200mbps down and 30-90mbps up just sitting in the home office so that's more than enough as backup and bandwidth boost as required.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to