General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LordVader
(member) Thu 04-Feb-21 16:22:17
Print Post

Annoying 18 months of broadband frustration

[link to this post]

Back in July 2019 moved to a house in Ibstock, Leicester and ever since had a torrid time with broadband woes.

Before i brought the house checked with Openreach and according to their checker "FTTP is coming to your area soon" Had no reason not to believe this as half the estate already had FTTP.

https://ibb.co/xL7nkHS

Months after moving in i would check with Openreach and all of a sudden I was getting "At the moment, we don't have any plans to upgrade your area to full fibre" I pushed OR regarding this which isn’t easy to get a proper response but when i finally did basically they said they wasn't going to install FTTP to my address now and suggested i went the Community Fibre Partnership.

Got a Cerberus FTTPod desktop quote of £6,800.00 + VAT. Aggregation node serving your premises is 400 - 599m

When I decided to get a proper install survey done it came back at a £8,640.00+VAT with 4 properties passed. Too expensive and the other 3 houses certainly wouldn’t have been interested in splitting the cost.

I originally had FTTC broadband with NowTV installed but after a week or so the line sync was only around 30mb. Decided to cancel it and go down the 4G route with Three as I have a cell mast directly in the line of sight from my house. This works well using a B525 & Poynting 4G-XPOL Antenna and get 60mb+ and upto 110mb at night and early in the morning. Pings are not great at 70/100ms. The mast does sometimes go down and then totally stuffed as there isn’t another mast near so can barely get a mobile signal let alone a data connection.

With this in mind thought would just get the cheapest FTTC broadband for backup but recently checking on the OR fiber checker its going between I can get FTTC and not even being able to get then and only ADSL?! This is confirmed when I try and buy a broadband package I’m only offered 8mb ADSL

https://ibb.co/YPyZd56

There is Virgin Media within the village but wasn’t laid when our estate was built in 2012/2013.

Superfast Leicestershire is pointless, unlike many other county’s they haven’t even bothered updating there website in over a year. Pushed the council and they just refer email SFL, who never respond to emails.

I’m lucky with my 4G broadband, although I release that at any moment more people might go down this route and the speeds will drop.

Just venting i suppose, not sure what else i can do. Have made some leaflets I will pop around the half of my estate who don’t have FTTP regarding a possible Community Fibre Partnership but not sure how much interest there will be
Standard User Woolwich
(committed) Thu 04-Feb-21 16:34:49
Print Post

Re: Annoying 18 months of broadband frustration

[re: LordVader] [link to this post]

According to the BT checker the fibre cabinet is full. Best option is to get ADSL and ask to be added to the wait list. Not all ISPs will but I do have experience of success using Zen.
Standard User mlmclaren
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Feb-21 18:57:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by LordVader:
https://ibb.co/xL7nkHS

When did you take that screenshot? it does not say that FTTP ins available its merely advertising the different technologies.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LordVader
(member) Thu 04-Feb-21 19:19:23
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Around 20 months ago.

It clearly says FTTP is coming in the highlighted area, even Openreach originally acknowledged FTTP was suppose to be installed August 2020 before doing a U turn for which I'm still trying to find the reason
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Feb-21 19:55:35
Print Post

I’m lucky with my 4G broadband, although I release that at any moment more people might go down this route and the speeds will drop.
If the mast serves the Three network, you could try an EE PAYG SIM to see if you get good coverage, or Vodafone or O2.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Edited by jchamier (Thu 04-Feb-21 19:56:09)

Standard User LordVader
(member) Thu 04-Feb-21 21:00:19
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Tried O2 PAYG sim, very poor although again a mast is in the village it's only band 20 and standing next to it only gave me 10mb.

EE is a mast share with Three (band 3 & 20)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Feb-21 21:14:04
Print Post

Not a surprise with O2, in rural areas. Vodafone MIGHT be better with Band 20 potentially Band 1.

However Three is normally Band 3 - 15 MHz wide, yet EE would be Band 3 with 20 MHz wide, and the ability to deploy additional Band 3 in 10 or 20 MHz units. The mast near me is 2 x 20 MHz on Band 3 for EE, yet only 15 MHz for Three. Difference in speeds is over 150 on EE, and 40 on Three.

Standard User jpm
(member) Thu 04-Feb-21 21:56:22
Print Post

I've been keeping an eye on quite a few locations for customers of ours and I've seen them go from "FTTP is coming" to "you can get FTTC, no plan for FTTP" on the Openreach checker. Whether they are removing areas from planned builds or the original results were errors I can't say.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Feb-21 16:19:14
Print Post

The availability of broadband can be an important criteria when deciding whether or not to buy a property. In view of that I suggest that you complain to both Ofcom and the ASA.

Michael Chare
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Feb-21 16:40:17
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Not sure what good that will do? There are various targets for broadband rollout but Ofcom aren't going to chase every line that doesn't currently have high speed broadband - they/government have set the direction and the market is delivering towards it.

What good would ASA do in this? Where has there been false advertising?
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Feb-21 17:10:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
The availability of broadband can be an important criteria when deciding whether or not to buy a property. In view of that I suggest that you complain to both Ofcom and the ASA.

The ASA do advertisements. Not sure their relevance.

OFCOM can't punish a network for changing rollout plans. They can't force them to revert to old plans either.
Not sure what would be achieved by contacting OFCOM?
Odd advice.

Plans change. Often those changes are due to state aid funding and out of OpenReach's control.
Later surveys can spot issues costing tens of thousands.

Anyone who buys a property based on a single line of text on a website saying "currently in plans" and those plans change, should contact nobody and have a word with themselves.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Feb-21 17:18:43
Print Post

I agree with the other comments about your post, Openreach's commercial rollout plans are not legally enforceable, if Openreach were ever to get taken to court or fined for changing their plans they would very quickly stop publishing them.
Standard User Whitehall11
(learned) Sat 06-Feb-21 11:44:29
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

The only 'legal' obligation that really exists to broadband is the USO of 10mpbs i believe - We have a rural property in the Lake District (Near Eskdale / Wasdale) with a 5 mile VDSL line which made ADSL2+ the better option! We use a 4G Service from EE on this property, which gives about 15 / 20 MPBS down on a good clear day!

Cumbria's BDUK Project initially had the program in scope but failed to actually provide FTTP or an infill cab to our area, as when they reviewed plans they cited the objective would never reach all properties.

The OP has no legal 'right' to FTTP / FTTC and the only way i could see you getting any legal recompense was if a developer sold you the house on the promise of this technology (and it had been written into a contract), otherwise you're at a dead end.

EDIT: (Sounded like i was targetting Dect lol)

Edited by Whitehall11 (Sat 06-Feb-21 11:48:12)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Feb-21 11:52:33
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

No worries smile
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sat 06-Feb-21 13:49:09
Print Post

Michael chare really its nothing to do with either Ofcom or ASA

more disinformation and misdirection as ever

this was a copper site development pre fibre on new sites
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Feb-21 15:32:39
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Not sure what good that will do? There are various targets for broadband rollout but Ofcom aren't going to chase every line that doesn't currently have high speed broadband - they/government have set the direction and the market is delivering towards it.
From other posts it is apparent that Openreach have made other similar misleading statements of the same nature. Ofcom is the regulator I would argue that it is up to them to stop this happening.
What good would ASA do in this? Where has there been false advertising?
If Openreach publish misleading information about a product the ASA would know to what extent this might be considered a false advertisement so no harm in asking them.

Michael Chare
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Feb-21 15:47:58
Print Post

From other posts it is apparent that Openreach have made other similar misleading statements of the same nature. Ofcom is the regulator I would argue that it is up to them to stop this happening.
If Openreach publish misleading information about a product the ASA would know to what extent this might be considered a false advertisement so no harm in asking them.
I wouldn't call what Openreach is doing misleading, surely to be misleading there would have to be premeditated intent by Openreach to lie.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Feb-21 16:09:33
Print Post

More importantly, it's not an "advertisement". What Openreach say that's not in the context of an advert, the ASA are not interested in. They are not a general fact-checking service.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Feb-21 16:52:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by dect:
I wouldn't call what Openreach is doing misleading, surely to be misleading there would have to be premeditated intent by Openreach to lie.
I would argue that Openreach should make it clearer that this was their intention but it might not happen. It is a failure to make sure that what they say is correct rather than a deliberate intention to lie.

Michael Chare
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Feb-21 22:03:37
Print Post

I would argue that Openreach should make it clearer that this was their intention but it might not happen. It is a failure to make sure that what they say is correct rather than a deliberate intention to lie.
I always believe, 'don't count your chickens before they're hatched' and to translate that for this scenario 'fttp isn't available until its available'.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Feb-21 10:48:12
Print Post

Hi Michael

I saw this news and thought of your recent posts and all those people who would now be complaining to the ASA and OFCOM

CityFibre UK Shelves Stoke-on-Trent FTTP Broadband Rollout

My comment above is only suppose to be light hearted so please don't take offence smile
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Feb-21 10:50:14
Print Post

It is going to happen at some point in time but how long is a piece of string?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 07-Feb-21 11:58:13
Print Post

wink You wicked, terrible man

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User LordVader
(member) Mon 08-Feb-21 11:10:53
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

I certainly didn't buy the house thinking FTTP would be rolled out to it. Not naive to the fact OR change there plans without reason. The fact Leicestershire (apart from Virgin Media) in general is far behind many county's regarding FTTP shows for what ever reason, either the Council or OR not pushing ahead.

Frustrated yes but also realize i like MANY more would love FTTP but unfortunately a lot of the country is in the same boat.

Can only continue to push OR, which they are investigating again and imagen will just come back no plans for FTTP and the reason you cant order FTTC is because the cabinet is full (as someone has already said) and at some point when we feel like it will be upgraded
Standard User WUW
(newbie) Mon 08-Feb-21 14:35:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
If the mast serves the Three network, you could try an EE PAYG SIM to see if you get good coverage, or Vodafone or O2.

My backup BB solution seems to work well: UW 4G SIM (EE infrastructure) unlimited data as low as £12.50 per month, it's cheaper (and much quicker) than a second ADSL. 5G coming next month too, happy to have this option. Let me know if you would like more info.
Standard User LordVader
(member) Mon 08-Feb-21 15:32:06
Print Post

[re: WUW] [link to this post]

How have you got an EE unlimited SIM for £12.50 pm?

I have an EE PAYG sim on the way to test although as it's a mast share with Three (MBNL) don't think will make any difference to speed nor provide redundancy against mast going down
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Feb-21 15:59:05
Print Post

although as it's a mast share with Three (MBNL) don't think will make any difference to speed nor provide redundancy against mast going down

Disagree on "Mast share" just shares the metal tower and antenna. Does not share the radio equipment, backhaul links or radio frequencies transmitted on. There are two physical networks, with independent equipment cabinets at the base etc.

Agree on redundancy.

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 08-Feb-21 16:27:39
Print Post

I certainly didn't buy the house thinking FTTP would be rolled out to it. Not naive to the fact OR change there plans without reason.
If Openreach (or BDUK) have changed their plans there will be a reason, maybe you will never find out what that is but there will be a reason.
The fact Leicestershire (apart from Virgin Media) in general is far behind many county's regarding FTTP shows for what ever reason, either the Council or OR not pushing ahead.
Everyone who struggles with poor broadband feels they have been left behind even if FTTP is deployed in neighbouring streets, you are not alone.
Can only continue to push OR
Thats all you can do keep pushing Openreach and your local council/BDUK.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to