General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoPrice1
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-21 16:46:42
Print Post

Re: Openreach not fixing DSLAM fault

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Yes, I meant 80/20. Thanks
Standard User GeoPrice1
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-21 16:54:34
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

The Openreach engineers have told me that the speed of the fibre into the DSLAM is 80Mbps on the cabinet I am on. As soon as it exits the DSLAM as it connects to my line (from what I have been told) it drops to 48/49Mbps. By the time it reaches me I am getting 46-47Mbps.

I am connected to Cabinet 22 on Larkhall Exchange.

The same engineer that expalined the DSLAM fault also said that he is measuring 110Mbps from the exchange into the DSLAM in the second cabinet.

Everything was stable at 58-60Mbps before the line outage that then gave me stability problems and 1Mbps sync speed.
Standard User GeoPrice1
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-21 16:55:25
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

I did think of this but there would be a £129 charge for a new connection.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeoPrice1
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-21 16:57:56
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

I was getting 58 - 60 Mbps without any issues so the line distance adn condition are not the issue.

The engineers have tested the line every time they are out and it is perfect. One even lifted the scteer access panels and tested the line. There is very little drop in the speed from the cabinet to my house.
Standard User GeoPrice1
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-21 17:04:56
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I don't know, and the ISP doesn't know either. One engineer even said he would check that it had been passed to the DSLAM fault engineer, but I never heard anything back.
Standard User GeoPrice1
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-21 17:17:49
Print Post

I fully understand distance, line condition, S/N ratios etc. I was getting 60Mbps stable until the outage that then resulted in connection drops and 1Mbps sync speeds.

The 80Mbps is measured when it enters the cabinet not when it connects to my line. When he measured the speed out of the DSLAM (in the cabinet) it was already at 48-49Mbps whereas it should have been around the 80Mbps expected.
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sat 06-Feb-21 17:26:31
Print Post

[re: GeoPrice1] [link to this post]

just so we clear what happens between the exchange and dslam is irrelevant -- , Services are offered only up to max of 80 m/bps - that actually tranmit out at 76 (at a max no one will ever get 80) - based on about 500m i would expected you about some where between 50 - 60 meg at best efforts
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Feb-21 17:42:45
Print Post

[re: GeoPrice1] [link to this post]

I've read your initial post again. Sounds like there is an issue but you're sightly misunderstanding how it works.

Sounds like you have 2 fibre DSLAM's. The engineer is checking the attainable rate on a port on each of the DSLAM's.
1 is showing 110Mb/s and the other 80Mb/s.

110Mb/s is not too bad on a busy cabinet. There's crosstalk (interference) within the copper tie cables that link the fibre cabinet and the green PCP where the engineer runs the tests from.
140Mb/s is a good result if there's little crosstalk.

80Mb/s isn't a good result at the cabinet if they are testing the attainable rate. That's usually marked as a faulty port.

It doesn't drop to 48Mb/s as soon as it hits your line. When the engineer says it's 80Mb/s where it enters the cabinet, that's the point where your line starts.
The signal and therefore sync rate decreases the further a line is from that point.
It can't be 48Mb/s at the cabinet and the same 500m away.

Sounds like there may not be any free "working" ports with a good enough attainable.
The cabinet might benefit from upgraded tie cables. This reduces the crosstalk between the fibre cabinet and PCP.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Feb-21 17:48:20
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
based on about 500m i would expected you about some where between 50 - 60 meg at best efforts

Best efforts? You're having a laugh. Lots of lines at 500m sync higher than 60Mb/s.

I'm typing this from a 800m long line syncing at 51Mb on a 4dB SNRM target.
Standard User heathrow
(regular) Sat 06-Feb-21 17:59:17
Print Post

and lots don't.

At 500m (cable run distance, not crowfly) I got 35 before I had openreach out.

After they had replaced the dropwire to my house and put me onto a new pair between the DP and sub-DP I got 45-50. 50 in very dry weather.

Copper was knackered on the run below ground between the DP and the cabinet. OR would not replace this.

I no longer have service from OR.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to