General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Feb-21 13:34:21
Print Post

Re: Openreach not fixing DSLAM fault

[re: GeoPrice1] [link to this post]

They will never get a change to the other DSLAM as its on a different headend ( different vendor). The only way to achieve that would be a cease and provide of the broadband, or a new line connection.
48 Mbits at the cab would be about 30Mbits at the end of a 500m line

Edited by witchunt (Sun 07-Feb-21 13:37:31)

Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Feb-21 13:42:07
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
They will never get a change to the other DSLAM as its on a different headend ( different vendor). The only way to achieve that would be a cease and provide of the broadband, or a new line connection.
48 Mbits at the cab would be about 30Mbits at the end of a 500m line

A port swap can still be done across different DSLAM's. The fact it's a different Head-End/OLT makes no difference.
The virtual routing needs changed on a port swap anyway.

I could link you a dozen threads where a port swap has been between 2 DSLAM vendors on the same PCP.

Edit: what do they think they do if a port becomes faulty and there's no free ports on that DSLAM?

There's no need for a cease and reprovide.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sun 07-Feb-21 13:44:47)

Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Feb-21 13:59:39
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

I could link you a dozen threads where a port swap has been between 2 DSLAM vendors on the same PCP.

Yes please
what do they think they do if a port becomes faulty and there's no free ports on that DSLAM?

An incident will be raised for NGA to investigate the faulty port(s) and repair where necessary

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Feb-21 14:08:03
Print Post

An incident will be raised for NGA to investigate the faulty port(s) and repair where necessary

And in the mean time a port swap is done. That port swap is entirely random and can be on either of the 2 Vendors DSLAM's.

The routing is virtual. Only a tie pair needs changed to swap port, wether that port is on the same DSLAM or another DSLAM.

Not only can I link numerous threads where a port swap has been from 1 DSLAM vendor to another, but there's a thread on kitz where a user went back and forth TWICE while OpenReach were trying to find a working port.

No idea where you get that a random port swap can't change DSLAM Vendor.

I'm aware you with for OpenReach and I take much of what you say as gospel and have learnt a lot from your posts.

Your assumption above is incorrect though.
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Feb-21 14:17:04
Print Post

Can I have the links you mention please.
If it was possible ( without a cease and provide of broadband) then at would have been the next logical step in this case but obviously wasn't

Edited by witchunt (Sun 07-Feb-21 14:19:49)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Feb-21 14:22:25
Print Post

[re: GeoPrice1] [link to this post]

If j0hn83 claims its normal practice to move people between DSLAMs why don't you push for this to happen and report back on what your ISP/Openreach says/does.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Feb-21 14:30:19
Print Post

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21331.0.html

The user in this thread was put back on an ECI port, after previously having been swapped from ECI to Huawei in another thread (linked to from that thread).

Confirmed by the old MyDSLwebstats which let us check the tones in use. Also confirmed by the user running the info Vendor command.
IFTN to BDCM back to IFTN.

Upon checking his cabinet on codelook its no surprise there was both an ECI and Huawei cab on his PCP.

Happy to post more examples when I'm home from work. There's been a couple examples of that on these forums also.
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Feb-21 15:01:06
Print Post

Straight away that post says they switched provider which no doubt instigated a cease a reproved. There is a link to a previous thread with 7 pages on it which I dont have time to read through right now. Maybe needs some bedtime reading.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Feb-21 15:08:00
Print Post

Straight away that post says they switched provider which no doubt instigated a cease a reproved. There is a link to a previous thread with 7 pages on it which I dont have time to read through right now. Maybe needs some bedtime reading.

Since when did a migration involve a cease and reprovide?

You're also ignoring the 1st port swap from ECI to Huawei

We have had engineer visits as had issues but didn't get a report on cabinet change.

https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18678.msg34...
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Feb-21 15:24:30
Print Post

They' d had 9 visits, who knows what their provider was doing in the background to rectify the issue.
TBH, a 4 year old thread isnt much use to what happens now.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to