General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User heathrow
(regular) Sun 07-Feb-21 15:40:21
Print Post

Re: Openreach not fixing DSLAM fault

[re: partial] [link to this post]

The other issue is that there can be different pairs in the path.

Where I live the path from the NTE was:

Dropwire <-> Sub DP <-> DP <-> PCP <-> DSLAM.

The dropwire had multiple spare pairs, as did the Sub-DP to DP link as did DP to PCP etc.

Changing any of these would affect the characteristics of the line.
Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Mon 08-Feb-21 13:46:34
Print Post

[re: GeoPrice1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeoPrice1:
In reply to a post by BLaZiNgSPEED:
I'm guessing there is some random noise problems on his lines that is causing his drop-outs.

There is no random noise. There was only ever the one drop out which happened on a Sunday afternoon. The next day there were drops and re-syncing at 1Mbps.

I initially reported the problem as a disconnect over the two days.

The slow speed is a result of the Openreach engineer changing my ports. I was getting speeds of around 60Mpbs stable for around 4 years previously.
Are you allowing the router to be always on? Make sure to not switch off the router to see if interleave will settle and correct itself.

Also, you are positive that the router system uptime is not resetting itself? Because a faulty router or a router that overheats can cause itself to reboot itself triggering DLM to lower its speeds. Make sure not to place router near the central heating.

Have you checked with another router to confirm if the issue persists? What about your neighbours, are they having issues with their connections as well?

I see you posted your stats. Have you observed if your noise margins are stable at all times?

Regardless of what speeds your connection settles to, even if it was low, the router and connection up-time should remain stable! Even in the event of crosstalk, while it may contribute to speed reductions, your connection must not drop out frequently.

You should log in to your router settings and observe these stats every day to find out whether your connection has remained stable and if not at what time those drop-outs occurred.

Openreach changing port was probably a mistake as you say you had problems before the port was changed.

You say you were with EE, is this in the same property that you lived in? Did the switch to Pulse8 cause this issue shortly afterwards? It could be the ISP or the router supplied by the ISP that's the fault.

If Pulse8 is a monthly rollout contract, I suppose you can end it and switch back to another ISP and see if the problem resolves itself?
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Feb-21 11:48:22
Print Post

[re: BLaZiNgSPEED] [link to this post]

Another option would be to switch to 4G/5G on a monthly SIM until FTTP comes (I assume that is what is happening from the OPs original post).

That's what I'd personally be doing if the desyncs were causing a big headache. 48 vs 60mbit/sec not really noticable IMO.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GeoPrice1
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-21 12:32:43
Print Post

Well, after nearly 4 months of various Openreach engineers and numerous fault calls, I think the issue has finally been sortted. Well, not sorted, but, worked around.

After numerous engineers told me the line was great with no fault and the fault lay with the DSLAM which was over crowded, my ISP, Pulse8, finally ordered a second phone line.

I had asked on a number of visits to get a 'lift and shift' to the new DLSM that was right next to the original one, but no one would do it.

Engineer came yesterday and installed a second phone line. Building it from the house to the cabinet. He got ports in the new DSLAM extension and connected everythin up.

On the original line, the speeds had dropped from a stable 60Mbps down to around 40Mbps and very unstable. THe new line is synching at 71.5Mbps with an attainable of around 72.8Mbps. Upstream is sitting at 19.99Mbps with an attainable of over 27Mbps. Not bad for a 500m line. .

So, now I need to get my phone number transferred over to the new line and get the old line disconnected.

Pulse8 have paid the cost of the new line going in and all the work that was carried out.
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Mon 29-Mar-21 12:41:54
Print Post

Best of luck with that one working
Standard User jpm
(member) Mon 29-Mar-21 12:53:51
Print Post

If you want to keep a landline then I'd take this opportunity to do a number port from the old line, which will sort out the ceasing for you, and move to a VoIP provider.
Standard User GeoPrice1
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-21 15:11:39
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

I think that is what my ISP intend to do. I was just dumbfounded at the amount of hoops I had to jump through the finally get a good stable connection that probably could have been fixed by a 'lift and shift' from one cabinet to the other.
Standard User GeoPrice1
(newbie) Sun 04-Apr-21 15:31:31
Print Post

So a week after OpenReach built me a new line from the house to the cabinet (550m) and after the line has stabilised, I am now sitting steady at:

Actual Net Data Rate: 19.999 Mbps 78.450 Mbps
Attainable Net Data Rate: 26.347 Mbps 80.865 Mbps

Not bad for a 80/20 profile and 550m line distance.
Standard User Grimers
(learned) Sun 04-Apr-21 18:44:50
Print Post

Yeah, that's impressive! Nice one!
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 09-Apr-21 08:32:39
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
In reply to a post by Fastman3:
based on about 500m i would expected you about some where between 50 - 60 meg at best efforts

Best efforts? You're having a laugh. Lots of lines at 500m sync higher than 60Mb/s.

I'm typing this from a 800m long line syncing at 51Mb on a 4dB SNRM target.

Wow thats a pretty high sync rate for 800m even at 4db seems very high.

For reference I am 350m, my line estimate is only mid 50s, although I am syncing much higher it does suggests others around me are syncing around that speed.

Are you in a vectored area?

For 500m I would consider 60meg a reasonable speed, but also anything as low as about 40 is probably fair game.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to