General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CarlTSpeak
(committed) Sat 06-Feb-21 17:09:01
Print Post

Re: FTTP 900-1000/115 experiences / Zen / any others

[re: jimbof] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jimbof:
Wow, you really do want all the bandwidth! Do you have 2 lines then? Nice.

Yes to both - this was done yesterday as a test to try and expose a BT Wholesale bug - the part where it dropped from 1.9 to 0.9 was actually that bug happening.

It works fine. The capacity is shared fairly equitably - in the linked image you'll note where a 300 Mb customer was using their service and it, rightly, impinged on my usage alongside various other small inconsistencies where the total usage maxed out.

Even shared with 31 other premises, which it actually shouldn't be, as you can see most of the time even at peak I was able to max both 900s, so I certainly wouldn't worry about capacity as far as either the local network or the exchange goes.

https://i.imgur.com/esJlExH.png

Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Feb-21 18:37:54
Print Post

given the pricing of the works etc I was quoted for FTTPoD, and the ongoing service price, I'm sure they're not in it to make a loss! smile

They make very little actually. They pass on the Openreach installation cost, and then for the first 12 months they charge a £35+VAT premium over their standard monthly FTTP prices. This means they get £420 for the overhead of managing the FTTP survey and delivery process with Openreach - which in my case took 17.5 months.

I suspect they do it mainly as a way to acquire customers like myself, who wouldn't otherwise have heard of Cerberus.
Standard User ft247
(learned) Sat 06-Feb-21 20:19:15
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
a test to try and expose a BT Wholesale bug - the part where it dropped from 1.9 to 0.9 was actually that bug happening.

How does the bug present itself?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jimbof
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-21 21:20:14
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

Yes to both - this was done yesterday as a test to try and expose a BT Wholesale bug - the part where it dropped from 1.9 to 0.9 was actually that bug happening.

Very neat.

Even shared with 31 other premises, which it actually shouldn't be, as you can see most of the time even at peak I was able to max both 900s, so I certainly wouldn't worry about capacity as far as either the local network or the exchange goes.

I'm onto a pretty good thing around here for the forseeable. A few of my neighbours are still happily chugging along on ADSL still as it meets their needs (we get 17Mb/s still on that old tech and FTTC does 80/20 easily on this street), so I think I'll have most of it to myself for a while.

32 is an interesting number, could be coincidence but I can see literally only 32 CBT ports in the area. 8 in my neighbour's flowerbed, 16 on the building infront of my courtyard and a further 8 on the wall of a small housing block near the underground splice point for the CBTs.

Neat thing is I can actually see who's had it activated as other that the one in the flower bed they're all surface mounted to buildings.

Maybe all the years hammering the availability checker with mine and my neighbour's post codes has paid off...
Standard User PianSomB
(learned) Sat 06-Feb-21 21:54:47
Print Post

Also see reports of FTTP throughput in general not being very consistent throughout the day.

So I guess the post is canvassing opinion from anyone who's on one of these ultrafast 900/115 packages to see how they're getting on with it, whether it is good value for money, or whether the reality of the backhaul / ISP infrastructure means it is hard to achieve the throughput advertised.

Thanks for any responses.

Hi there

I have been on BT's Fibre 900 for just under a year now (upgraded from 300 in Mar 2020, which I had had only for about 6 weeks). My experience has been that the service is faultless. Speed tests show consistent upload speeds of 120ish. Downloads speeds have been limited only by my hardware (Ubiquiti's UDM-Pro still has outstanding issues with PPPoE). I have not noticed a single service fail.

There are very few of us sharing the CBT here, I would suspect - a very rural location, just outside the M25. I have seen no variation in consistency through the day. On the few occasions I have suspected a dl issue a quick check has shown issues at the other end or over the interweb generally.

Like you, upload was what I was after (much shifting around of large brain scans, in my case). 100-120 is just great. And consistent.

Good value for money? Well, I am paying £57/m, which is a lot. But given that I signed up just pre-Covid, I have not regretted it at all. High family contentment while everyone was around. That said, a 300 connection is more than sufficient for multiple 4k downloads - though of course won't give you the upload pipe.

Summary - no regrets, happy punter

Edited by PianSomB (Sat 06-Feb-21 21:56:56)

Standard User jimbof
(newbie) Sat 06-Feb-21 22:23:18
Print Post

[re: PianSomB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PianSomB:
I have been on BT's Fibre 900 for just under a year now (upgraded from 300 in Mar 2020, which I had had only for about 6 weeks). My experience has been that the service is faultless. Speed tests show consistent upload speeds of 120ish. Downloads speeds have been limited only by my hardware (Ubiquiti's UDM-Pro still has outstanding issues with PPPoE). I have not noticed a single service fail.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm also a Unifi user (USG-4-Pro here at home). I'm not sure this will be able to max out the connection at all with the options currently used, will have to look into that later. I think the upload will be a bit of a gamechanger for me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to