General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jsphcyl
(newbie) Sun 07-Feb-21 19:23:38
Print Post

PlusNet DSL loss of sync issues

[link to this post]

Hi

I used to have a PlusNet One router, but it was rubbish, so I switched back to using my BT SmartHub 6... still there are dead spots in and around the house.

So, I just bought a TP-Link Archer VR2100 which meshes with my existing TP-Link range extender. So now, the dead spot issue is resolved.

However, I am getting frequent loss of sync... 4 to 5 times a day, sometimes with uptime only being minutes before losing it again. The router has been in place for 48 hours.

My stats are below. Is it a line quality issue? I've read information on TP-Links website that if the SNR margin is less than 6 then frequent losses of sync are likely? Is there something plusnet will be able to resolve?

Upsteam Downstream
Current 19999 79999
Max 25708 101095
SNR margin 9.4 3.9
Line attenuation 0 8.6

Thanks
Joe
Standard User heathrow
(regular) Sun 07-Feb-21 21:53:34
Print Post

Re: PlusNet DSL loss of sync issues

[re: jsphcyl] [link to this post]

Your line appears to be ok.

Have you checked the voice circuit to ensure that there are no problems with the line?

IF not, pick up your phone and dial 17070 - then the option for quiet line test.

There should be no cracks or pops on the line.
Standard User jsphcyl
(newbie) Sun 07-Feb-21 22:03:09
Print Post

[re: heathrow] [link to this post]

Hi,
Yeah I’ve done a QLT. No audible noise on the line.

When I used the smart hub 6, there were no regular drop outs. Just the range wasn’t great to get every room.

Now it’s the opposite. The range is great, but I get frequent drop in sync. I’ve give it another 48 hours to see if it becomes more stable.

When the Archer VR2100 is working and connected its great. Strong signal and mesh with my range extender all over the house. Could just do without the 4/5 drops in sync a day.

I’ve logged a ticket with both TPLINK and PlusNet to see who can suggest anything.

Thanks
Joe

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Glenn2
(newbie) Sun 07-Feb-21 23:05:05
Print Post

A quick google seems to suggest the modem chip is a Mediatek one. This is bad news for line stability, very much like the notorious Asus DSL-AC68U which also uses one.

You really want one with a Broadcom chip if your cabinet is Huawei, or a Lantiq chip if it's ECI. Either are fine either way really but people often (but not always) get best results matching chips in this way. Broadcom is a safe bet either way and probably the best default choice.

Hopefully you can get a refund or exchange on the TP-Link.
Standard User jsphcyl
(newbie) Sun 07-Feb-21 23:15:44
Print Post

[re: Glenn2] [link to this post]

Oh ok. How does one determine if a street cab is Huawei or ECI? and do you have any suggestions for which routers are best? Which use a Broadcom chip? I have no issue in returning the TPLINK. it’s only from Amazon so it can go back in an instant. Thanks Joe
Standard User Glenn2
(newbie) Sun 07-Feb-21 23:38:42
Print Post

There's some info here on how to look it up:
Kitz cabinet lookup

Also if you know what it looks like:
Kitz FTTC Cabinets

You should be fine with Broadcom either way, and a lot more choice there than Lantiq devices.

I think the dearer VR2600 is Broadcom but not sure. TP-Link change chips with the wind, often between V1, V2, V3 etc of the same model. Should be plenty of other Broadcoms in the TP-Link range.

You said you've used a Plusnet One (Lantiq) and a BT Smarthub 6 (Broadcom) so if you had no line problems on either of those you'll probably be fine either way, Longer lines are more finicky,
Standard User jsphcyl
(newbie) Sun 07-Feb-21 23:54:40
Print Post

[re: Glenn2] [link to this post]

That’s great. Looks like it’s a Huawei cab

I’m not tied to a TPLINK router, though I think the VR2800 is a Broadcom chipset. I am open to any other brands if you know of a better one? I only went with TPLINK because I had a TPLINK range extender already

I really just want a router with a good range…
Standard User GonePostal
(committed) Mon 08-Feb-21 01:32:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by jsphcyl:
That’s great. Looks like it’s a Huawei cab

I’m not tied to a TPLINK router, though I think the VR2800 is a Broadcom chipset. I am open to any other brands if you know of a better one? I only went with TPLINK because I had a TPLINK range extender already

If your only gripe with the Plusnet router was wifi range can you retain that router as your connection to the internet and bridge the TP-Link to act as the wifi source?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Feb-21 02:52:03
Print Post

Doesn't seem like loss of sync maybe loss of PPPOE session due to ISP's network load balancing or other reasons, if it was Re-syncs from the open reach dslam you would likely have already seen some adverse changes via DLM

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 08-Feb-21 02:52:58)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Feb-21 07:38:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by jsphcyl:
A friend of mine uses the Plusnet Hub 1 with the WiFi turned off, and plugs in a BT WholeHome three disc mesh.

Amazon has the AC (WiFi 5) three disc pack:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-seamless-connection-ever...

Argos only has the more expensive AX (WiFi 6) three disc pack:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3365766?clickSR=slp:...

My mate has a two disc pack, covers his place without problem.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to