General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 12-Feb-21 09:22:00
Print Post

Re: one fibre network

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Depends on your lens. Be be careful what you wish for.

Here is a summary of the Australian experience of their own National Broadband Network effort. It’s been a decade+ long debacle.

https://www.centreforpublicimpact.org/case-study/nat...

Then you learn from others mistakes, I know this country is not very good at learning and is way behind on technology, sad really because we used to be up there with other countries.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Feb-21 09:30:35
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Then you learn from others mistakes, I know this country is not very good at learning and is way behind on technology, sad really because we used to be up there with other countries.

I have family in the USA, and they would really like our FTTC services and choice of ISP via a neutral network such as OpenReach. The USA is way behind us.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Fri 12-Feb-21 10:47:37
Print Post

Again that’s your point of view not necessarily grounded in either reality or fact.

The broadband landscape (technologies and spread/access) is fundamentally and rapidly changing, both here and abroad. There is massive external capital investment going on in next generation access technologies. The technology that Zoomm are laying in your street is pretty much at the cutting edge. It really doesn’t get much better than 10G symmetric fibre broadband.

Trying however to get your “arms around” that and leverage it as a singular, uniform (presumably government led/sponsored) regional single network...well that failed abysmally already in Yorkshire. It failed again in Australia when they attempted a similar national level project.

What makes you think it will be a wonderful success anytime now?

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Feb-21 11:12:29
Print Post

Plenty of issues with VM and their high latency and slow downs in the evenings in certain areas. Gamers usually switch to FTTC for a better experience.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk, upgraded to fibre 40/10
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 12-Feb-21 17:28:40
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I have family in the USA, and they would really like our FTTC services and choice of ISP via a neutral network such as OpenReach. The USA is way behind us.

I know that parts of the U.S have naff broadband, but I also know that when things go wrong it can be a pain to get things fixed as different providers argue with either about who is responsible to fix the problem.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 12-Feb-21 17:38:09
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Again that’s your point of view not necessarily grounded in either reality or fact.

The broadband landscape (technologies and spread/access) is fundamentally and rapidly changing, both here and abroad. There is massive external capital investment going on in next generation access technologies. The technology that Zoomm are laying in your street is pretty much at the cutting edge. It really doesn’t get much better than 10G symmetric fibre broadband.

Trying however to get your “arms around” that and leverage it as a singular, uniform (presumably government led/sponsored) regional single network...well that failed abysmally already in Yorkshire. It failed again in Australia when they attempted a similar national level project.

I did say ok maybe not government led when people did not seem to like the idea, but maybe a consortium of companies just for the network. I never thought I would ever say that as i believe in competition, but i just don't think it makes sense in putting more and more fibre in the same street, digging up roads again and again, bad enough when the Gas digs up the road a day after it haver been dug up for electric repair or service

As for Zzoomm being cutting edge, maybe, but they are charging another tenner a month to get the same sped up and down, on the 100Mb/s download it is a measly 10Mb/s upload, more or less what I get now unless I paid extra, the same with a static IP address being a tenner a month. Maybe that is how they keep their prices lowish.
We will see what happens when/if it eventually reaches me.
My main problem with Zzoom is they are a new company, run by a CEO who already bailed out of one fibre network provider when he was offered a load of money,

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Fri 12-Feb-21 17:40:12
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Plenty of issues with VM and their high latency and slow downs in the evenings in certain areas. Gamers usually switch to FTTC for a better experience.

I have heard about VM problems, I know people who use them and a couple are on the verge of moving elsewhere, one because of the constant problems, which does make me think if fibre is really more reliable, the other because of the price rise.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Feb-21 17:53:46
Print Post

If there was ever to be one fibre network (which I don't expect there ever will be) whoever run it would have to be accountable to the end customer, one annoying problem with Openreach currently is that they hide behind the fact that your a customer of the ISP not them so they have lots of wriggle room when issues occur.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Fri 12-Feb-21 18:16:16
Print Post

I did say ok maybe not government led when people did not seem to like the idea, but maybe a consortium of companies just for the network. I never thought I would ever say that as i believe in competition, but i just don't think it makes sense in putting more and more fibre in the same street, digging up roads again and again, bad enough when the Gas digs up the road a day after it haver been dug up for electric repair or service

As for Zzoomm being cutting edge, maybe, but they are charging another tenner a month to get the same sped up and down, on the 100Mb/s download it is a measly 10Mb/s upload, more or less what I get now unless I paid extra, the same with a static IP address being a tenner a month. Maybe that is how they keep their prices lowish.
We will see what happens when/if it eventually reaches me.
My main problem with Zzoom is they are a new company, run by a CEO who already bailed out of one fibre network provider when he was offered a load of money,

If it was commercially viable / attractive for private enterprise to JV a single grand-unified-master network at a regional or even national level it would have been done already. However would it really be desirable on many other levels from security, reliability, resiliency etc etc to have only one network - even if it could theoretically be economically justified?

Having discrete fibre networks serving the same area to my mind is not in itself "wasteful" Its actually rather beneficial in many ways - part of the reason why its relatively cheap to get leased circuits in the capital is due to the abundance of fibre in close proximity. However digging up roads six times and laying 4 sets of ducts is both disruptive, expensive and wasteful.

Something along the lines of what Emtelle have been pushing the industry to try and adopt is to my mind far more workable and sensible. The so called "one dig" strategy....

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/09/emtell...

Even getting to that lofty goal would be a major achievement!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Feb-21 19:36:19
Print Post

I know that parts of the U.S have naff broadband, but I also know that when things go wrong it can be a pain to get things fixed as different providers argue with either about who is responsible to fix the problem.

Its not "naff" as such, my family and friends in different parts of the US are all on cable, and have varying speeds from 100 Mbps upto 500 Mbps.

The problem is that there is no competition for cable, so if you want to change ISP, you have to move home (and city, and often state!).

So don't fall out with your ISP....

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to