General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Slowmo
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-21 18:36:46
Print Post

Recently installed fibre cabinet unavailable

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I am on ADSL, getting about 2Mbp.

My local All in one cabinet was installed in 2020. Those people who were on ‘faster broadband’ from another cabinet have been migrated to the new cabinet. This happened several months ago.

However I am still waiting for FTTC . ADSL checker shows ‘Unavailable’, and a note below says “ VDSL FTTC and SOGEA is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- This cabinet is temporarily unavailable for fibre orders due to engineering works.”

I have now been told that the cabinet is full to capacity. And FTTC will not be available to me. The checker doesn’t say ‘waiting list’

There are 91 properties serviced by this cabinet, so I can’t see how it can be full.

Can anyone shed any light on the message?

I am on exchange Eckington SLEK and cabinet 3.

Peter.
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Sat 13-Feb-21 11:56:07
Print Post

Re: Recently installed fibre cabinet unavailable

[re: Slowmo] [link to this post]

Hi Peter - Nice to see another Derbyshire resident here!

We had an AIO Cabinet installed last year that was activated in September 2020 but was supposed of been live in May 2020! So it would appear that your cabinet is running on a similar delay

This is the same Derbyshire SEP BDUK Funding service used to install mine as one of the forgotten areas that needed an infill cabinet.

I had a similar message on the DSL checker for when my FTTC Cab was nearly completed saying fibre was unavaliable due to Engineering works. According to https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=5... it looks like the fibre piece hasn't been activated, even though the DSL checker would show your copper service is being routed through it (as the PCP is inside it).

My best advice is have a look at the cabinet and if you can see any evidence that it still needs connecting - I.e. Fibre cables that are still waiting to be fed through from O/H (in the case of mine) or if you can hear any fans running inside, Chances are it hasn't got it's line cards in!
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Feb-21 13:06:32
Print Post

1st card filled up I reckon. Waiting a 2nd card.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Slowmo
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-21 14:19:52
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Thanks for those replies.

Yes, been waiting ages, it is a SEP fill-in.

I spoke to the Openreach engineer last Autumn connecting the fibres into the cabinet.

The copper pairs had been routed through the cabinet in Summer 2020.

I know of a few people who have had fibre broadband from the cabinet for a month or two.
One lady has just moved to the village this week and has had a new line installed with FTTC on it! The BT checker still says Unavailable.

My assumption is that the AIO cabinet is capable of servicing 128 fibre circuits - is this correct? If so, it must be a technical reason why the service is not available. How many line cards does it hold? Surely it must be easy to add a card?

I think I will enquire about a second line, and see if I can get FTTC on it. If so I may get it and then cancel my original line.

Very frustrated.

Peter.
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Feb-21 14:39:39
Print Post

Waste of time. No ports available until another card and splitter installed.
Maybe supply issues.
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sat 13-Feb-21 14:40:52
Print Post

seems very off that there would be that amount of fill in premises on an all in one cab - - sounds like its been open for a while to your community , is your premise located before you get to the cabinet or after the cabinet if so what distance - they would know the amount of premises being done under live to live migration (which is what that process is called) so not t have enough cards suggest its been able to order and you either not know that or not been able to order - bit suspect either way
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Feb-21 14:42:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Slowmo:
One lady has just moved to the village this week and has had a new line installed with FTTC on it!
Are you saying some properties have been able to order a new FTTC service from that all in one cabinet and during the same period you haven't been able to order?
Standard User Slowmo
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-21 15:16:54
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Yes, someone got a brand new exchange line and FTTC within the last 10 days, but still not available to me.

A bit of background.
My local cabinet was cab 20/1, which is a secondary cabinet to cab 20, about a mile away in the next village.
Cab 20 was fibre enabled a few years ago, and so-called ‘faster broadband’ has been available to me from that cabinet (estimated speed 4-6 megs). I didn’t go for it.
The ‘new’ all in one was installed right next to cab 20/1, and christened cab 3.
All the cab 20/1 copper lines were then routed through the new cab 3. All this was done in Summer 2020.

The fibre customers were migrated from the distant cab20 to the new cab3, and those customers saw an immediate uplift to 40+ megs. That was 3-4 months ago.

Another local resident moved out of his property one month ago, cancelling his fibre contract. The new tenant moved in, and was unable to get a fibre connection only 3 days later!

As I said before, we have 91 properties, all fed from the same cabinet as they have been for fifty years or more, no changes, no development, etc.

Peter.
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Feb-21 15:22:15
Print Post

Possibly took over the line and got their port to go with it.
Gotta be quick off the mark. Normal service will be resumed shortly.

Edited by witchunt (Sat 13-Feb-21 15:28:10)

Standard User Slowmo
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-21 15:49:27
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Thanks Will keep looking at the checker.

Have spoken to District councillor, and she is involving ‘Digital Derbyshire’. Perhaps someone there can get info from Openreach.

Why is the system so opaque? Drives you mad.

Peter
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Feb-21 15:51:55
Print Post

can get info from Openreach.
You may not know but this has already happened in this thread wink
Standard User Slowmo
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-21 16:10:20
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Thanks. I have read posts on this forum for years, and I know that there are very well connected people on here.

Nice to know people in the industry are willing to share their time and knowledge with others

My best hope is that my cabinet is short of a line card. Fingers crossed.

Peter
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Feb-21 16:35:22
Print Post

My assumption is that the AIO cabinet is capable of servicing 128 fibre circuits - is this correct?

They can do up to 256 circuits with 4 x 64 port line cards.

The All In One cabinets contain a Huawei MA5616 DSLAM. It's the same DSLAM that's used in the small single door Huawei cabinets.
Since OpenReach started deploying these the maximum number of ports on the line cards has grown from 24 to 32 to 48 and now 64 port cards are available and regularly used.

Some of these DSLAM's have 4 x 24 port cards (96 total) and others have 4 x 64 port (256 total).
What's installed depends on how many properties the cabinet covers and the expected take up rates.

It's common that only a single card is installed when the cabinet is initially commissioned/activated.

I would trust the advise that the cabinet needs additional line card(s).

Edit: as above a 2nd line won't help. If VDSL2/FTTC cannot be ordered by anyone on the cabinet then the same will apply to any 2nd line you order.
You can test this by attempting to place an order for a new line. FTTC will not be an option during the order process.

Edited by j0hn83 (Sat 13-Feb-21 16:37:47)

Standard User Slowmo
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-21 16:57:03
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for that very full and informative reply.

I am now reassured about the possible outcome for my broadband supply.

Peter
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sun 14-Feb-21 09:03:32
Print Post

whats most odd is the comment that you have been moved from cab 20/1, and christened cab 3. - that really odd - 23 i couod understand but cab 3 odd because you would expect with a SCP 20/1 ofrr cabinet 20 there would already be a cabinet 3 in that exchangee - very odd - sounds like they have done something a bit out of ordinary
Standard User Slowmo
(newbie) Sun 14-Feb-21 11:45:02
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

Strange, yes.

On Codelook listing there are only 16 cabinet numbers anyway. 16,17,18,19 don’t exist.

I seem to have it in the back of my memory that before this cabinet was installed there was no cabinet 3 either.

Perhaps they just chose the lowest available number. They could’t have used 20, as this is a sub cabinet.

The upper half of my village and also the next village were migrated from this exchange to the neighbouring Sheffield region in the1980s, so perhaps that is when the spare numbers arose.

I will post back on here if and when there is any progress.

Thanks again,
Peter
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Feb-21 12:37:51
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

Confused by this comment? It's not out of the ordinary at all.

There are few exchanges that have consecutive numbered cabinets with no breaks.
Just because there's a cabinet 20 doesn't mean that there is 1-19.

Most exchanges have random numbered cabinets missing. Infill cabinets use these missing cabinet numbers all the time.
It's probably more common that a new infill cabinet isn't the highest numbered cabinet on the exchange.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Feb-21 12:39:22
Print Post

Strange, yes.

On Codelook listing there are only 16 cabinet numbers anyway. 16,17,18,19 don’t exist.

I seem to have it in the back of my memory that before this cabinet was installed there was no cabinet 3 either.

That's the norm.
Standard User Slowmo
(newbie) Sun 14-Feb-21 12:44:59
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Great knowledge, thanks.

Peter
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to