General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 18:33:26
Print Post

Re: Mechanical Vibration from Fibre Cable

[re: MC31] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MC31:
The cable is anchored on the facia board

Really ? We have not been fixing stuff onto facia boards for years !

Someone should've told the OR engineer that ran in my overhead FTTP two years ago! The (new) dropwire bracket is most certainly fixed to the fascia board.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Rhubarb
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 19:00:25
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jpm:
I don't know if this is the correct size to allow you to move the cable to a brick fixing, but Openreach engineers should have access to things like this

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/product/dropwire-brac...

Thanks for that. A neighbour seems to have 2 of these on his house both fitted to the facia lifting the cable above the roofline. I was wondering what they were. I can't work out why they were fitted because the cables would have already been quite high due to the ground rising and the wires don't cross a road. Andy
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Feb-21 19:53:04
Print Post

[re: Rhubarb] [link to this post]

Not wanting to cause any panic, but this morning before your post here, I came across:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLl9NCJvZjw

Just shows what wind, temperature and altitude can do!

I have noticed that our telephone drop-wire, re-sited by Openreach at my expense in 2019, sways a lot more in the wind than our previous one and our neighbours.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 20:44:05
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
Not wanting to cause any panic, but this morning before your post here, I came across:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLl9NCJvZjw

Just shows what wind, temperature and altitude can do!

I have noticed that our telephone drop-wire, re-sited by Openreach at my expense in 2019, sways a lot more in the wind than our previous one and our neighbours.

Cheers!

That’s overcooking it a bit Clive. One’s a 400 KV transmission line 30+ years ago and the other is a bit of glass strung up on someone’s house with a bit of thrum on some windy days.... wink

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Rhubarb
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 20:44:27
Print Post

Re: Mechanical Vibration from Fibre Cable *DELETED*

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Rhubarb
Standard User Rhubarb
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 20:52:03
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
...a bit of thrum on some windy days....
A superb description. grin Andy
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Sat 13-Feb-21 21:19:25
Print Post

The facia is acting as a soundboard, similar to any stringed musical instrument.

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 22:04:57
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

Probably doesn’t help that the OPs is plastique / UPVC fascia. Best to relocate it, when engineers return to 2nd fix / finish the job.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Rhubarb
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 22:49:02
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Probably doesn’t help that the OPs is plastique / UPVC fascia. Best to relocate it, when engineers return to 2nd fix / finish the job.
I understand your thinking but the current bracket is secured through the fascia onto a piece of 3" x 3" wood fitted between 2 trusses and attached to the trusses with 2 heavy duty galvanised brackets. The BT bracket is attached by No 12 x 2½ screws through the fascia and into the 3 x 3. I'd Imagine it's certainly more firmly located than many similar installations where the anchor is just screwed into the facia. As regards relocating the anchor there's really no where else to fix it. The house is the left of 2 semis and the pole is 50m hard to the right, the cable has to be secured to the front of the house and the highest point is the eaves. If the cable were to be any lower it would cross the windows and more importantly the neighbours windows.. There was no such problem with the previous cable. Andy
Standard User partial
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Feb-21 23:46:40
Print Post

Does it cross a road? If not slightly slackening it and introducing a couple of twists might quieten it down

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to