General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PigzMightFly
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-21 15:32:45
Print Post

Trooli fibre dropping out since 13/11/20

[link to this post]

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I've been having this problem since it was installed the customer support has been brilliant but they can't seem to get to the bottom of the problem. I've had a new router and modem and all assocciated cables replaced (apart from he outside cable), this improved the situation from dropping out on aerage 4 times a day to once a day that i know of . trooli tell me there seeing it dropping out approximately every seven hours. There latest thing is trying to blame my hard wired connections ie. Sky Q, Xbox, mesh and mobile phone signal extender. I've unplugged my mesh network as they where blaming that but i've proved that wrong. Is it possible for a hard wired device to cause the router to drop out? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Trev (PigzMightFly)
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Feb-21 15:38:16
Print Post

Re: Trooli fibre dropping out since 13/11/20

[re: PigzMightFly] [link to this post]

Just a thought have you considered setting up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor' (aka BQM) available via this website? I'm no expert but others may be able to help if you require assistance.

Edit: Just to add if it was possible you would need to disconnect all your devices for at least the 7 hours (period you say it happens) to eliminate them from causing the issue.

Edited by dect (Sat 13-Feb-21 15:41:50)

Standard User leesus
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-21 21:14:16
Print Post

I've had random dropouts since my fibre was installed. Support generally claim there is no issue and no connection dropouts, which the router logs clearly show is not the case (not to mention every device in the household losing internet access). Infuriating.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 13-Feb-21 21:57:33
Print Post

Need to ascertain if the dropout is happening upstream of the WAN side of the router - that is the ONT itself or wider fibre connection back to the network faulting (pretty rare really).

Otherwise if it is “internal” - could be the (presumably provider supplied) router at fault / internal network - WiFi intermittently faulting.

There’s multiple links along the chain that could fail, you need to work out where it is.

First thing is to (wired) connect in directly into the ONT from the Ethernet port of reliable laptop / desktop machine and monitor for a day or more. Then work your way downstream...

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 13-Feb-21 23:16:19
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
could be the (presumably provider supplied) router at fault
In the original post they stated the following.
In reply to a post by PigzMightFly:
I've had a new router and modem and all associated cables replaced (apart from the outside cable)
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 14-Feb-21 08:59:26
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Oops sorry missed that. Points an upstream network issue. Trooli themselves admit to seeing the connection drops...Frustrating then that Trooli are trying to blame the faults on his own internal network gear and setup (no doubt they’re just reading from a script).

Just had a look at Trooli support pages and it doesn’t look as though a direct (via third party equipment) connection into their ONT is supported. Next best is to monitor from a single immediate wired connection into the router. Leaving all else out the equation.

Sounds though it just need escalation to get them to investigate and resolve a wider upstream issue.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 14-Feb-21 15:05:13
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Just a thought have you considered setting up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor' (aka BQM) available via this website? I'm no expert but others may be able to help if you require assistance.

Edit: Just to add if it was possible you would need to disconnect all your devices for at least the 7 hours (period you say it happens) to eliminate them from causing the issue.

Depends if Trooli have allowed user access to the firewall setup pages of the Technicolor router. As long as OP can enable ICMP/ping on the router then he could get some very useful collateral from BQM - helped me immensely when we had gateway delay issues withe Cerberus a few months ago

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Feb-21 16:01:42
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Depends if Trooli have allowed user access to the firewall setup pages of the Technicolor router. As long as OP can enable ICMP/ping on the router then he could get some very useful collateral from BQM - helped me immensely when we had gateway delay issues withe Cerberus a few months ago
Yeah I remember reading with interest all the posts during the issue and the data helping getting it resolved.

We haven't heard back from the OP so maybe they have decided to go in a different direction.
  Print Thread

Jump to