General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ceepan
(member) Tue 16-Feb-21 14:36:45
Print Post

Re: FTTP Timescales

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
ceepan

So definitely underground then, there should be a duct entrance in the cupboard that may have all the services coming through or just the BT one. If you are really lucky there will be a draw string in the entrance. You may need to lift a floorboard to find it !

You are likely to be ducted as just buried cable usually enters from outside a wall.

There should be a pavement cable chamber somewhere in the street where this is fed from.

There are a couple of square metal chamber covers in the street but they aren't identified as BT. There are also square chamber covers on each driveway, but as all of the driveways are monoblocked, the chambers are hidden from view. I assume that some of these may be the access to the cabling.

Thanks,
Paul
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Feb-21 16:04:27
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
As I understand it, ducts *shouldn't* come up inside a house - they make a great entry for rats and rainwater.
I agree the most common place for an Openreach duct to come up is on an outside wall but I don't think its right to say it *shouldn't* come up inside a property. Openreach have released developer guides on what is required (including how to correctly seal it) if it does so there will be properties where this occurs.
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Tue 16-Feb-21 17:24:38
Print Post

[re: ceepan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ceepan:
There are a couple of square metal chamber covers in the street but they aren't identified as BT. There are also square chamber covers on each driveway, but as all of the driveways are monoblocked, the chambers are hidden from view. I assume that some of these may be the access to the cabling.

What size are these? They smell like drains to me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ceepan
(member) Tue 16-Feb-21 20:37:27
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Woolwich:

They are approximately 50cm x 50cm. I always assumed they were for access to drainage but as they are mostly hidden by the monoblock I don't know.
Standard User ceepan
(member) Wed 17-Feb-21 08:40:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:

I have noticed that there is a Openreach chamber cover at the end of the street. i have never actually noticed it before.

They are approximately 50cm x 50cm. I always assumed they were for access to drainage but as they are mostly hidden by the monoblock I don't know.
Standard User ceepan
(member) Tue 20-Apr-21 11:30:19
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
ceepan

Can't help on timescales but you can track rollout at https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php?tab=...

You are likely to notice when rollout starts in your area as there will be lots of work down manholes or up poles.

You asked how your service is delivered, you would know if it was overhead as you would have a cable from a pole. If no Poles it is underground and you may be able to find where the cable exits the duct and comes up the wall before entering the house. (or even inside the house).

Openreach have definitely been doing work around the village. Looking at https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php?tab=... there appears to be no Openreach native FTTP showing for Fauldhouse (last update was the 18/04/2021). Does that suggest that they are still at the early stages of rolling out the infrastructure?

Thanks,
Paul
Standard User lostinthewoods
(learned) Tue 20-Apr-21 11:39:12
Print Post

The same for where I live but the survey and install is primarily (I'm told) being completed by a contractor - maybe that's why it's not showing on the map?

We've had vans and roadworks all over for the last 2-3 weeks
Standard User ceepan
(member) Tue 20-Apr-21 13:58:10
Print Post

[re: lostinthewoods] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lostinthewoods:
The same for where I live but the survey and install is primarily (I'm told) being completed by a contractor - maybe that's why it's not showing on the map?

We've had vans and roadworks all over for the last 2-3 weeks

It is all Openreach branded vans round here. I wouldn't think the use of contractors should affect the map being updated. They will need to report progress to Openreach, which will result in an update to their DB, which I assume feeds that map.
Standard User ceepan
(member) Fri 23-Apr-21 16:00:58
Print Post

There are currently 3 large Openreach vans at the end of the street. I hope that is good news.
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Tue 27-Apr-21 21:38:49
Print Post

Yeah, it shouldn't do. BNE are doing most of the deployment around here.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to