General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tek
(newbie) Mon 15-Feb-21 15:18:12
Print Post

Cerberus rep on this forum?

[link to this post]

Hey all, anyone know if there is one on the forum?

Myself and my neighbour are coming to the end of our 12 months FTTPOD very soon and switching provider is a pain, seemingly due to Cerberus not allowing a takeover of the line but requiring a cease which may mean 10 days without a connection?

Have emailed them, called them but their ‘team that deals with this’ is too busy to reply or speak to anyone..

Thanks

David
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Mon 15-Feb-21 15:31:42
Print Post

Re: Cerberus rep on this forum?

[re: Tek] [link to this post]

Pickup the phone and ask to speak with Bob Hendy.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User E300
(member) Mon 15-Feb-21 16:08:55
Print Post

I recently did the same before Christmas, came to the end of FTTP on Demand with Cerberus and moved to IDNet.

Cerberus said migration was supported, I let Cerberus know I was ordering elsewhere in good time, and they said they would be notified by the gaining provider. I had a days downtime at switch over because the new account hadn't been generated correctly so it had to be regenerated, but if it had worked I'd have had no down time.

Note that Cerberus was never notified of the migration, at least that is what they told me, but I had given enough notice anyway and it was just cancelled without any drama after the fact.

This was all dealt with using their ticketing system.

Edited by E300 (Mon 15-Feb-21 16:09:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Tek
(newbie) Mon 15-Feb-21 16:33:18
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

They called me back, stating that it was 100% BT’s issue. (A well-known issue too) apparently a disconnect between BT retail / wholesale / OR.

So I’m back on hold with the BT connections department.

I don’t think Bob can help in this case sadly.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Feb-21 17:19:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Tek:
seemingly due to Cerberus not allowing a takeover of the line

I believe you've been advised incorrectly.

The migration process is gaining provider led. It should have nothing to do with Cerberus and you shouldn't even need to contact them.
It's actually advised that you don't contact the losing provider as that can cause issues such as them placing a cease on the line.

If the line is WBC FTTP enabled then it's the same as any other FTTP line.

An ISP cannot prevent you migrating, even if you are within the minimum term.
AFAIK technically you should be able to migrate on day 1 of an FTTPoD service. It would just come with a whopping great big early termination charge.

The gaining provider led FTTP migration process hasn't been around all that long and the likes of BT often have issues with it, but I've seen many migrations go as smoothly as they should, even with BT.
Standard User Tek
(newbie) Mon 15-Feb-21 17:55:41
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

Oh, I’m convinced no one really knows what’s going on (that we’ve spoken to)

After another afternoon of hold music, the current situation.

1. I have an email from Cerberus stating what they can/can’t do, which I sent to BT connections while on the phone.
2. My BT order for 900Mb was cancelled.
3. I was advised to re-order tomorrow at 300Mb because the connections team (actually their manager) says the order is failing because they did not provide 900Mb when I had FTTPOD installed (we had an extremely long install time)

Now I don’t believe this will work, but short of paying to cease my Cerberus line I don’t have many options.

/D
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Feb-21 18:19:26
Print Post

3. I was advised to re-order tomorrow at 300Mb because the connections team (actually their manager) says the order is failing because they did not provide 900Mb when I had FTTPOD installed (we had an extremely long install time)

That is utter nonsense. When you migrate your service to another FTTP provider, you can choose a different speed service than what you had before.

This was a "manager" at BT?! Sheesh.

Now I don’t believe this will work, but short of paying to cease my Cerberus line I don’t have many options.

You do have other options: in particular, you can take a service from an ISP who has more clue than BT. If price is the primary concern, you can get FTTP from Sky or Talktalk (although not at 900M; Talktalk do 500M, Sky 150M). If quality and speed are more of a concern then Zen will do you 900M for £63/month. Aquiss and AAISP are I believe still limited to 150M. Some other smaller ones do 900M.

Cerberus themselves are good, although expensive for speeds above 300M. At least you would get 300/50 instead of 300/30 if you recontract with them, and the term is only 12 months.

But you absolutely should not have to "pay to cease your Cerberus line". You place an order with your new ISP, the new service takes over the line and that automatically cancels the old service. If you're still within contract for the old service then there will be an early termination charge to pay *after* that happens.

If BT can't do this simple process for you, well that's just BT. How much do you *really* want to use them as a provider, seeing what you've now seen?
Standard User Tek
(newbie) Mon 15-Feb-21 18:33:36
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

For normal FTTC previously, even ADSL and going back to ISDN most issues with BT were solved without too much hassle although we did have some interesting ones - eg. Cutting the copper cable to the whole ‘street’ near me 3 times during the digging for the fibre smile - obviously not BT retails fault but they were helpful.

Talk talk and Sky I don’t think would be any better given experiences of close relatives (who don’t even care about latency...)

I haven’t tried Zen, but I guess they are an option.

Maybe BT connections are right, and it might help the other (few) people that need to migrate after their first year of FTTPOD - we’ll see!

The main thing I wanted from this thread originally was a written confirmation from Cerberus that it was not their end, I got that.

/D
Standard User jimbof
(learned) Mon 15-Feb-21 19:25:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:

That is utter nonsense. When you migrate your service to another FTTP provider, you can choose a different speed service than what you had before.

This was a "manager" at BT?! Sheesh.

Is this a given? In my area, FTTPoD was limited it seems to 330/30 if you believe the OR wholesale checker. Once the area moved recently to FTTP there was a brief period when 1000/220 was the FTTPoD option, and then it actually became 1000/220 on WBC FTTP with no FTTPoD option available (a day or 2 later). So judging by what the OR checker was saying in my area, I could well believe some FTTPoD areas might be limited to the lower speed for some reason.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 15-Feb-21 20:15:17
Print Post

[re: jimbof] [link to this post]

FTTPoD availability went from 330/30 to 1000/220 almost everywhere(*) simultaneously. However they didn't go round to backfill the database. Hence you'll only see the record update itself when they need to touch the database for some other reason - such as during an FTTP rollout, as you found.

(*) Very tiny exception of areas with ECI OLTs. That covers only about 1% of FTTP-enabled properties now.

The checker will give the precise answer for the OP's property. I presume it says "WBC FTTP up to 1000/220", because they were able to place an order for 900/110 originally.
Standard User jimbof
(learned) Mon 15-Feb-21 21:04:22
Print Post

Thanks for the info, explains what I saw then smile
Standard User Tek
(newbie) Tue 16-Feb-21 08:29:21
Print Post

[re: jimbof] [link to this post]

I placed the 300Mb order this morning as advised by BT.

The order process flow was different to before, making me choose an engineer visit.

I’ve contacted BT to see if it actually went through, if not I’ll cancel and give Zen 900 a try.

/D
Standard User Tek
(newbie) Tue 16-Feb-21 18:28:56
Print Post

The BT order failed again, and was cancelled after I spoke to a really helpful guy from the Full Fibre team (much more knowledgeable than BT retail or connections, but still could not understand why it wont work, he checked the flags etc and said they are fine)

I then ordered with Zen, it almost immediately failed, so I called them up and they are looking in to it. - Wait for KCI-1 - FAILED 16/02/2021 16:09 is the error.

Zen CS said this was an address or ONT mismatch, the details I get from Cerberus do not match the SN from my ONT - anyone know why that might be the case?

(We did have some install issues back in Feb 2020 where my appointment was mixed up with my neighbours, I've been told on multiple occasions this was resolved but I don't believe in coincidences..)

I've sent pictures of my ONT to them, but I'm not holding out much hope...

/D

Edited by Tek (Tue 16-Feb-21 18:29:47)

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Wed 17-Feb-21 08:58:33
Print Post

Zen CS said this was an address or ONT mismatch, the details I get from Cerberus do not match the SN from my ONT - anyone know why that might be the case?

(We did have some install issues back in Feb 2020 where my appointment was mixed up with my neighbours, I've been told on multiple occasions this was resolved but I don't believe in coincidences..)

You’ve probably answered your own question there. Or something similar has happened on the records. Good luck with it.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Tek
(newbie) Wed 17-Feb-21 10:16:28
Print Post

Its not quite that simple sadly..

On the ONT itself (Huawei 1 port) there is a completely different serial number.

Neither mine or my neighbours matches the ONT SN on our Cerberus accounts.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Wed 17-Feb-21 10:20:06
Print Post

On the ONT itself (Huawei 1 port) there is a completely different serial number.

I've never thought to check mine (matches). Maybe I've got your and you have mine...just kidding!

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Tek
(newbie) Sat 20-Feb-21 10:42:07
Print Post

Current status if anyone is interested.

Current package : Cerberus FTTPOD 330/30

Want to regrade to 900/100

BT - order placed 3x - fails at BTW stage.
15+ hours on the phone to BT connections, BT full fibre team and Conf call with BTW. No resolution, ONT matches SN.

Zen - order placed once - fails immediately with KC-1 error. Promised updates but nothing back, called to cancel order and got a knowledgable person on the phone who stated it needed to go to a specific BTW team but had no idea of timescale for resolution. ONT matches Cerberus current service ONT but does not match the actual ONT SN.

Cerberus - Continue to state it’s a gaining ISP issue and nothing to do with them.

Options left: Wait to see if BT/Zen get BTW to fix their systems or pay Cerberus £138 a month for 900/100 (or £98 for 450/70) or stay on existing 330/30 for £120 out of contract.

/D
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 20-Feb-21 11:24:51
Print Post

I'm still unclear as to what the gaining ISP's claim the issue is exactly? You have an existing / operational service, just seems like there is an database / admin issue with the ONT serial number.

To be precisely clear does the Openreach record of the ONT serial number match with the Cerberus record of the ONT serial number and do both then match with the actual serial number on the box itself - or what is the mismatch?

(Note I may be seriously lacking caffeine and misread your post above)

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Feb-21 11:33:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
I'm still unclear as to what the gaining ISP's claim the issue is exactly?
Me too frown
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Feb-21 12:03:15
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
I'm still unclear as to what the gaining ISP's claim the issue is exactly?
Me too frown

"Order failed at KCI-1" is all you need to know. It's up to the gaining ISP to resolve that with BTW. As an end-user, you can't do any more except wait for them to push it through to the right level at BTW.

The OP has a reasonable chance of Zen achieving that in the end, but it's unfortunate they're stuck paying £120 per month to Cerberus for an indeterminate period of time. I think it's better than being out-of-service for that time though.

Another option is recontracting with Cerberus at 300/50 for £66 per month, and then trying again in 10 or 11 months time.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Feb-21 12:43:07
Print Post

Thanks for your reply

Its a shame and annoying as this issue isn't of the OP's making (dare I say where is the compensation from BTW or Openreach whoever is at fault), I think for me I would go out of contract and pay £120 to Cerberus for a month and see if the issue can be resolved and if not at that point I would recontract with Cerberus as you suggested.

Edited by dect (Sat 20-Feb-21 12:50:18)

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sat 20-Feb-21 13:56:01
Print Post

Seems to me the BTW back office systems when it comes to FTTP really aren't up to snuff with transfers and regrades.

I know I had 4 weeks of hassle because their back office systems were shafted last July when I wanted to re-grade. I had to escalate up to Bob to shake the tree to get them into action.

For a comms company they are bloody hopeless sometimes.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 21-Feb-21 11:12:05
Print Post

But do they match if swapped over?? !!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User Tek
(newbie) Sun 21-Feb-21 12:57:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, they don’t match.

The existing Cerberus connection has these details:

ONT000085xXx1 with SN 0000001XxX5

The number on the physical ONT is:

485XxXxXxXx372A0

None of the numbers match where I’ve x’d them out either, my neighbours don’t match in the same way and do not match mine if we swapped.

/D
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Feb-21 13:51:33
Print Post

But you have a working service at present ? So the ONT serial number is successfully linked to the head end , and since yours is a Cerberus service, it must kinda imply your link is configured correctly ......

So you must be reading it wrong somehow.

It looks like it ought to be the bottom one. 48575443*******

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Feb-21 14:06:24
Print Post

There are a fair few Cerberus customers on here, would be interested to hear from them if they have any discrepancy between their ONT SN and whats on the Cerberus account.
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 21-Feb-21 14:55:41
Print Post

There are a fair few Cerberus customers on here, would be interested to hear from them if they have any discrepancy between their ONT SN and whats on the Cerberus account.

It's not a discrepancy so much, as far as I can see it's a different number altogether, although they are variously both termed "serial numbers" they do not "match" on my Cerberus account.

The first "serial number" on the account is effectively the user ID associated with the account, and as such makes up the first part of the PPPoE login detail. It is an 11 digit numeric (only no alpha characters) with six leading zeros. The last five numbers are unique.

The physical serial number of the ONT is a 16 mixed alpha and numeric ID in the format 48575443NaaNNNNa, where 'a' is an alphabetic char and 'N' is numeric. At least that's what it is on a Huawei. The two "serial numbers" bear no other resemblance to each other than sharing the same (possibly confusing) nomenclature....

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Sun 21-Feb-21 15:02:24)

Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Feb-21 15:02:15
Print Post

So the ONT SN mismatch is a red herring then real focus should be on the KCI-1 error
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 21-Feb-21 15:08:15
Print Post

So the ONT SN mismatch is a red herring then real focus should be on the KCI-1 error

Yeah quite possibly I suppose. Unless of course it is the actual Huawei ONT serial numbers on record don't match up, but as a customer, don't think you can see that on any (Cerberus) records - other than what is physically printed on the underside of the ONT.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Feb-21 15:16:24
Print Post

Yeah quite possibly I suppose. Unless of course it is the actual Huawei ONT serial numbers on record don't match up, but as a customer, don't think you can see that on any (Cerberus) records - other than what is physically printed on the underside of the ONT.
Shame we ain't got anyone on here who knows what a KCI-1 error means frown
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Feb-21 15:24:23
Print Post

Shame we ain't got anyone on here who knows what a KCI-1 error means frown
OK so I now know KCI means Keep Customer Informed and the 1,2 and 3 are milestones.

Edited by dect (Sun 21-Feb-21 15:25:06)

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 21-Feb-21 15:55:55
Print Post

Yes they are progress gates/milestones, a per the various handbooks online...

KCI1 = Acknowledged - an order line is being progressed.
KCI2 = Committed - a CPD has been calculated
KCI3 = Completed - an order line has been fulfilled.

But it's the verbiage of the KCI1 error that is the detail needed, and only someone from BTW would have that access....

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Ixel
(experienced) Sun 21-Feb-21 18:16:09
Print Post

Just posting to also confirm that my equivalent details do not match (I'm also a Cerberus customer - with a working service).

I used an address checker from another ISP I used to use, which provides some additional details compared to say... the usual public BT wholesale checker, but requires a login, and that shows the following for where I am (some details partly masked/blurred for privacy):
https://i.imgur.com/pZWns4O.png
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 21-Feb-21 19:59:36
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Thanks for the update there, good source of info that.

I think it’s a given that the “serial number” that Cerberus quote to us is a different beast from the actual ONT serial number (as shown in your obscured screenshot). But they must have a record of the actual ONT serial number too.

Presumably your actual ONT serial number matches what you see from the ISP screenshot though?

Edit - I’ve had my ONT swapped out, presumably the BTW/Openreach records must be updated to reflect the change......hmmmmm. Wonders...

Edited by Pheasant (Sun 21-Feb-21 20:01:38)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Feb-21 20:16:27
Print Post

But they must have a record of the actual ONT serial number too.

Openreach must have, but I don't think BTW or the customer-facing ISP need to. They just need *some* reference number which identifies the service logically.

Tthe ONT serial number could be private to Openreach, as this would allow them to swap it out without having to notify the upstream providers' systems. (This is just a guess however)
Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Sun 21-Feb-21 20:22:16
Print Post

I guess the ONT to some extent is "invisible" to the ISP - its just Openreach infrastructure for delivering a BTW service resold via the service provider to the end user.

However some ISP's clearly have access to this information as evidenced in the screen shot above.

As you say there must be some logical data / service provision linkage, back to the physical ONT serial number, even if the ISP doesn't hold it (or need to hold the information).

I'm sure the mysteries of this will eventually be revealed....

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Tek
(newbie) Fri 16-Apr-21 10:41:06
Print Post

Well, a long time later.

I have BT 1000/115.

It took complaints to the CEO's at BT and Openreach - who were very helpful.

I still don't have an exact answer for what they changed to make it work, but it had something to do with my original installation being 'within initial contract period' which was wrong (Was 12 months, but systems saw 18 months - however I was told many times this doesn't matter)

Cerberus offered to talk directly to BT to fix the issue just before Easter which I shared with my direct contact there, I don't know if that ever actually happened but soon after I had an order which didn't break on the 12th attempt.

Then on the 15th April early morning my Cerberus login info failed, I switched over to the BT login info and it worked.

So if this happens to anyone else, don't give up but raise complaints (assuming they don't fix the underlying issue anyway!)
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 16-Apr-21 18:43:12
Print Post

Theoretically the gaining provider does all the leg work, but as your case has shown sometimes the existing/losing provider may need to step in to resolve the wrinkles in the system. I don't think your 12th(!!) attempt succeeded by pure fluke!

The most annoying "clerical" (speed regrade) issue I experienced during my contract time with Cerberus boiled down to issues with....you guessed it the back office systems at BT Wholesale which manage the actual soft changes. A less than 24 hour soft change that took many, many weeks to resolve. Good onya BT!

Good you got sorted anyway.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to