General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jimbof
(learned) Mon 22-Feb-21 11:36:52
Print Post

Extra FTTP line?

[link to this post]

FTTP has just been brought to our courtyard, BT have put an 8 port CBT in a neighbour's flowerbed which is serving 7 houses in a terrace, mine being one of them.

I'm waiting for some civils work to get the final 6 or 7 metres into my house (looks like there is a duct very close so they're going to intercept and tee into that).

I was wondering, once it is live, is it possible to get an extra FTTP connection to the house? How does that work at the point of ordering to avoid my existing FTTP connection being ported over to another ISP?

Is there any way this can be served over the same fibre optic cable using a 4 port ONT, or would it mean another port on the CBT being routed to a second, separate ONT?
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Feb-21 13:26:22
Print Post

Re: Extra FTTP line?

[re: jimbof] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jimbof:
FTTP has just been brought to our courtyard, BT have put an 8 port CBT in a neighbour's flowerbed which is serving 7 houses in a terrace, mine being one of them.

I'm waiting for some civils work to get the final 6 or 7 metres into my house (looks like there is a duct very close so they're going to intercept and tee into that).

I was wondering, once it is live, is it possible to get an extra FTTP connection to the house? How does that work at the point of ordering to avoid my existing FTTP connection being ported over to another ISP?

Is there any way this can be served over the same fibre optic cable using a 4 port ONT, or would it mean another port on the CBT being routed to a second, separate ONT?

Have a look at what the BT wholesale checker says. It may say something like "ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered."

In that case, go ahead and place an order - and tell your new ISP this is a new line, not a takeover.

Whether Openreach decide to pull another cable and install another ONT, or swap to a 4-port ONT, is up to them. They stopped providing 4-port ONTs a couple of years ago, but are apparently in the process of launching a new one for "summer 2021":
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/a-look...
Standard User jimbof
(learned) Mon 22-Feb-21 13:48:46
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Have a look at what the BT wholesale checker says. It may say something like "ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered."

In that case, go ahead and place an order - and tell your new ISP this is a new line, not a takeover.

Whether Openreach decide to pull another cable and install another ONT, or swap to a 4-port ONT, is up to them. They stopped providing 4-port ONTs a couple of years ago, but are apparently in the process of launching a new one for "summer 2021":

At the moment is says:
Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Pre built to curtilage Hard.
FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

I assume once the civils work is done the "Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Pre built to curtilage Hard" will be updated to reflect the status of the access to the property.

I currently have dates for the outside and inside halves of the installation of my first FTTP connection (end of April / beginning of May respectively). I guess the civils work will be organised some time before that first appointment.

Partly I was wondering what happens with the CBT ports - whether they've all effectively been allocated to a house on the terrace (except the spare) or whether the whole CBT is "first come first served".

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pheasant
(committed) Mon 22-Feb-21 14:09:23
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
In reply to a post by jimbof:

Editorial needs some work over at ISPreview....the arrow in the Nokia ONT photo is pointing to....errr empty space.

You can see the SC/APC connector under the shrouding here...

https://postimg.cc/2LyqvkM2

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User jimbof
(learned) Mon 22-Feb-21 18:29:42
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Editorial needs some work over at ISPreview....the arrow in the Nokia ONT photo is pointing to....errr empty space.

You can see the SC/APC connector under the shrouding here...

https://postimg.cc/2LyqvkM2

Hehehe, I did wonder!!!
  Print Thread

Jump to