General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Feb-21 16:14:08
Print Post

Re: Package switch slower speed.

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
i am not too fussed about it taking a couple of days for them to pick up my post i just thought i would ask here to see if anyone could point me in the right direction.
Sadly that is the trade off of lower price. With a different ISP, I would be straight on the phone.

It could be as simple as flooding in the cabling between your home and the cabinet, given the recent rains smile

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(experienced) Mon 22-Feb-21 16:20:24
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Did they send an engineer out to the cab on switchover day? Have you got another router you could try to exclude that from causing the issue?

This was the part of the email that discussed an engineer i have no idea if one actually went to the cabinet.

If you have an engineer booked, we'll confirm when they're coming within 24 hours. Don't worry if the time doesn't suit you. We can always re-arrange.
You are now on a new 18-month contract. Have a look at your full terms and conditions here.
Enjoy your updated package

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Mon 22-Feb-21 16:22:08)

(experienced) Mon 22-Feb-21 16:24:33
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
i am not too fussed about it taking a couple of days for them to pick up my post i just thought i would ask here to see if anyone could point me in the right direction.
Sadly that is the trade off of lower price. With a different ISP, I would be straight on the phone.

It could be as simple as flooding in the cabling between your home and the cabinet, given the recent rains smile

I might give online chat a go later as the connection has been very stable for couple of days.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Mon 22-Feb-21 16:24:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Tue 23-Feb-21 11:15:27
Print Post

How is it possible that you have an estimated download speed between 60.0Mbps and 80.0Mbps with a line attenuation of 40dB???

This is quite strange. I also have TalkTalk Fibre FTTC but I get stable 80/20 Mbps last 1 year with 18dB line attenuation.

What is the firmware version of your router?
Mine is TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K10002816t

It should read the same. Was wondering if those disconnects were related to TalkTalk updating your firmware. Also what was your previous provider and what speeds and line attenuation were you getting then?

Are these problems that you are facing, immediately emerged following your switch to TalkTalk?

Have you allowed the router to be on for 10 consecutive days? You do realize turning off the router disrupts the DLM process? DLM will not be able to determine the most stable line if you keep turning it off.

If you are indeed confident that you were getting higher stable speeds with your previous provider, then you should test after 10 days to see if things normalize on their own.

Edit: I am seeing weird power dBm stats 4.10, 5.20 and 6.80.

My Power [dBm] 12.90 7.40

Not sure if those are normal or expected if you are syncing at lower speeds. But it could signal faulty router, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by BLaZiNgSPEED (Tue 23-Feb-21 11:21:59)

(experienced) Tue 23-Feb-21 15:26:55
Print Post

[re: BLaZiNgSPEED] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BLaZiNgSPEED:
How is it possible that you have an estimated download speed between 60.0Mbps and 80.0Mbps with a line attenuation of 40dB???

This is quite strange. I also have TalkTalk Fibre FTTC but I get stable 80/20 Mbps last 1 year with 18dB line attenuation.

What is the firmware version of your router?
Mine is TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K10002816t

Not sure if those are normal or expected if you are syncing at lower speeds. But it could signal faulty router, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for trying to help.

I haven't switched provider i have moved from a TalkTalk 80Mbps FTTC package to fibre 65.

Firmware Version: SG4K10002816t

I don't think it can be the router as it was working perfectly before the disconnection and is giving the same speed test result as the speed showing in the router stats, its as if i have been capped at 24Mbps.

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Tue 23-Feb-21 15:30:10)

(experienced) Tue 23-Feb-21 15:29:15
Print Post

I have read this in the TT forum which is very similar to my problem -

new contract on Fibre 65

Hello everyone

I have signed a new fibre 65 - 18 month contract with a guarantee of 45Mbps, However it is only running at 23 Mbps down from 30 Mbps yesterday. On my old contract i was having regular speeds of 34 Mbps. I have done the speed test on a wired device to give me a true speed test and i've got to say i am overly disappointed at the speed i'm getting. Also i have turned off the hub and back on but no different. Can anyone help me in this matter. Thank you for your help and time in reading this and hopefully someone can come up with an answer.

Kind Regards

A .Loynes
(experienced) Tue 23-Feb-21 18:49:20
Print Post

Update.

I ran a live connection test a moment ago and it found a problem i then got the message below.

Live test - https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/

Hello,
We have run a test and found a problem between the exchange and your home.
We have booked an Openreach engineer to fix the fault within the next 2-3 working days.
There is no charge to you for this and you do not need to be at home for the engineer to fix the fault.
We'll update you via email and SMS as soon as we have it resolved.
Your TalkTalk team
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Feb-21 22:17:14
Print Post

Hello,
We have run a test and found a problem between the exchange and your home.
We have booked an Openreach engineer to fix the fault within the next 2-3 working days.
There is no charge to you for this and you do not need to be at home for the engineer to fix the fault.
We'll update you via email and SMS as soon as we have it resolved.
Your TalkTalk team
There is certainly something wrong (in my opinion), I do hope they find it and your speed returns to its correct level, the nagging thing for me is why it coincided with your switch (thats why I asked about an engineer on day of switch).

Edited by dect (Tue 23-Feb-21 22:27:56)

Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Tue 23-Feb-21 22:34:31
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I don't think there was any physical change to the service, the OP was on an 80/20 service and TalkTalk 65 is the same thing. A TalkTalk account admin change is not going to cause the line attenuation to go crazy. So just a coincidence that a line fault happened around the same time.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Feb-21 23:34:13
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
I don't think there was any physical change to the service, the OP was on an 80/20 service and TalkTalk 65 is the same thing. A TalkTalk account admin change is not going to cause the line attenuation to go crazy. So just a coincidence that a line fault happened around the same time.
I suspect you're right but I'm not a great believer in coincidences frown
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to