General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BLaZiNgSPEED
(member) Wed 24-Feb-21 00:29:18
Print Post

Re: Package switch slower speed.

[re: Chippy_Tea_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
In reply to a post by BLaZiNgSPEED:
How is it possible that you have an estimated download speed between 60.0Mbps and 80.0Mbps with a line attenuation of 40dB???

This is quite strange. I also have TalkTalk Fibre FTTC but I get stable 80/20 Mbps last 1 year with 18dB line attenuation.

What is the firmware version of your router?
Mine is TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K10002816t

Not sure if those are normal or expected if you are syncing at lower speeds. But it could signal faulty router, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for trying to help.

I haven't switched provider i have moved from a TalkTalk 80Mbps FTTC package to fibre 65.

Firmware Version: SG4K10002816t

I don't think it can be the router as it was working perfectly before the disconnection and is giving the same speed test result as the speed showing in the router stats, its as if i have been capped at 24Mbps.

But there is no TalkTalk 80Mbps FTTC package as a name. The TalkTalk Fibre 65 package is actually the 80Mbps package (but it is numbered as 65 to indicate the Superfast package), so you have not switched package at all. What you are saying is that you re-contracted with TalkTalk, not switched to them!

So what you are basically saying is that you remained as customer after your initial contract ended, but somehow it appears that TalkTalk by mistake have put you on lower speed caps? If this is the case, then it wouldn't be a technical fault. Unless it was sheer coincidence that a technical fault occurred following the re-contract. Normally things should remain as they are unless TalkTalk have fiddled with your connection by mistake.

I am assuming your service was good prior. That means surely when you were getting better speeds before, your line attenuation cannot have been 40dB. No one with a 40dB attenuation would have 60-80 Mbps speed estimates as the line to cabinet would be too far away.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Feb-21 09:28:21
Print Post

[re: BLaZiNgSPEED] [link to this post]

your line attenuation cannot have been 40dB. No one with a 40dB attenuation would have 60-80 Mbps speed estimates as the line to cabinet would be too far away.
Thats something we can all agree on (hopefully), with a consistent attenuation of 40.dB I would expect the OP to be somewhere between 2.5-3k from the cab and a speed not much more than 3-4Mbps so thats why I believe there is an issue.
Standard User Chippy_Tea_
(experienced) Wed 24-Feb-21 18:01:07
Print Post

[re: BLaZiNgSPEED] [link to this post]

But there is no TalkTalk 80Mbps FTTC package as a name.

I didn't say there was a package named 80Mbps i think most of the people reading this who thought they might be able to help would have realised i meant it was a package capped at 80Mbps.

The TalkTalk Fibre 65 package is actually the 80Mbps package (but it is numbered as 65 to indicate the Superfast package), so you have not switched package at all. What you are saying is that you re-contracted with TalkTalk, not switched to them!

I didn't spend time looking into what the new package was based on all i was interested in was saving money and getting similar speeds to what i was getting so had no way of knowing this was what i was already on.

So what you are basically saying is that you remained as customer after your initial contract ended,

No i wasn't out of contract they emailed me offering to put me on a new package called Fibre 65 i phoned them and got a £6 per month reduction for signing up early.

If this is the case, then it wouldn't be a technical fault. Unless it was sheer coincidence that a technical fault occurred following the re-contract. Normally things should remain as they are un less TalkTalk have fiddled with your connection by mistake.

As you have pointed out this is the same package with a new name it looks like by sheer coincidence something has gone wrong between the exchanged and my house confirmed by tth email i posted earlier saying they have arranged for a OR engineer to fix this.

Hello,
We have run a test and found a problem between the exchange and your home.
We have booked an Openreach engineer to fix the fault within the next 2-3 working days.
There is no charge to you for this and you do not need to be at home for the engineer to fix the fault.
We'll update you via email and SMS as soon as we have it resolved.
Your TalkTalk team

I am assuming your service was good prior. That means surely when you were getting better speeds before, your line attenuation cannot have been 40dB. No one with a 40dB attenuation would have 60-80 Mbps speed estimates as the line to cabinet would be too far away.

If you look at the image in link number one you will see prior to the disconnection i was connected at 72Mbps this has been rock steady for months.

My usual router stats https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage...

Router stats after disconnect 20 Feb - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage...

Router stats 21 Feb - https://i.postimg.cc/MpCsZVK6/mmm.jpg

Speed test after speed dropped - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage...

Router stats day one https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage...

Router stats day two - https://i.postimg.cc/dtTrsX7C/mmuummmmmm.jpg

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Wed 24-Feb-21 18:03:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Wed 24-Feb-21 18:07:28
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
your line attenuation cannot have been 40dB. No one with a 40dB attenuation would have 60-80 Mbps speed estimates as the line to cabinet would be too far away.
Thats something we can all agree on (hopefully), with a consistent attenuation of 40.dB I would expect the OP to be somewhere between 2.5-3k from the cab and a speed not much more than 3-4Mbps so thats why I believe there is an issue.

Thanks, this is a typical speed test result prior to my recent disconnection -

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage...
(experienced) Thu 25-Feb-21 14:39:34
Print Post

Good news, the engineer has been and its sorted.

Hello,
We've sent an engineer to fix a problem with your line and we're now monitoring it. Your connection might take a few days to adjust. If you find that you are having any further issues after 2 days please go to your online service centre where you can live chat to our support team.
Your TalkTalk team

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Feb-21 14:41:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chippy_Tea_:
Good news, the engineer has been and its sorted.

Hello,
We've sent an engineer to fix a problem with your line and we're now monitoring it. Your connection might take a few days to adjust. If you find that you are having any further issues after 2 days please go to your online service centre where you can live chat to our support team.
Your TalkTalk team

My Broadband Speed Test
Thats great news smile
(experienced) Thu 25-Feb-21 19:31:01
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Thanks.

My wife saw the Openreach engineer climbing the pole at the end of the street shortly after
the connection dropped when it reconnected later she did a speed teat and it was back to normal, was this a coincidence, what would the Openreach engineer be doing on the pole if it wasn't?

Edited by Chippy_Tea_ (Thu 25-Feb-21 19:32:59)

Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Feb-21 07:03:58
Print Post

Could have been coincidence, might have been trying to get a signal on his phone!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to