General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User leegeorge
(newbie) Tue 23-Feb-21 09:00:11
Print Post

FTTP Install Timeline Question

[link to this post]

Hello,

Openreach have been working on our estate from early december pulling through fibre cables smile

On Saturday 13th Feb there was an engineer installing CBT equipment in a chamber 50 yards from my house.

He said that it 'wouldnt be long' before i could place an order.

I have been checking daily on https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com to see when i can order FTTP.

For months there was an entryon broadband chacker to say "FTTPOD" was available with 300/30. This morning this has changed to "FTTP on Demand" 1000/200.

My question is, given that it is standard FTTP that is being rolled out, is the change from FTTPOD330/30 to FTTP On Demand 1000/200 just a process that OR go through before offering normal FTTP. if so, how long would it normally take to change from FTTP On Demand to 'normal' FTTP?

Many Thanks

Lee
Standard User APTMAN
(member) Tue 23-Feb-21 09:49:04
Print Post

Re: FTTP Install Timeline Question

[re: leegeorge] [link to this post]

Our village install took about one year, from what you have seen about two months but there is No golden rule that fits all.
You only need one of the PON's to have a fault and that could delay things.
One day you will get it smile
Standard User djb61
(newbie) Tue 23-Feb-21 11:39:16
Print Post

I am in a similar position here, I'm on a 2004 estate in Stratford upon Avon so everything is ducted.
Back in October last year engineers were pulling fibre cables through, I saw a CBT and a splitter (stack of white trays on a pole) being fitted in the chamber about 10m from my house.

There was then nothing for ages then on 4th Feb there were roadworks to clear a duct on the main road back to the exhange which I'm certain is the route to the aggregation node (there are at least 5 FTTC cabinets at various points on that road going to the town center where the exchange is). The blockage was between me and my current FTTC cabinet so I'm pretty sure was stopping the cabling they pulled being connected back to the aggregation node.

A day or two later (5th or 6th Feb) the engineers were back on my estate and spent quite some time checking things in the chamber, I assume they had connected through to the aggregation node and were checking the link?

However I have been checking the availability every day since and so far still unavailable which is now coming on 3 weeks after the last work.

Nothing relevant showing on one.network at any distance in the future to indicate more works need to be done although I'm aware a lot of things won't show on there if they are in footways and don't involve civils (i.e. the pulling fibre on the estate here wasn't on there).

So I am in the same position as you and will just need to wait and hope that one day soon the checker shows available. As I am on a longish line and only get 20mbit down, 7mbit up with two of us working from home in IT for the foreseeable future I am hoping it is soon!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jimbof
(learned) Tue 23-Feb-21 12:13:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by leegeorge:
For months there was an entryon broadband chacker to say "FTTPOD" was available with 300/30. This morning this has changed to "FTTP on Demand" 1000/200.

My question is, given that it is standard FTTP that is being rolled out, is the change from FTTPOD330/30 to FTTP On Demand 1000/200 just a process that OR go through before offering normal FTTP. if so, how long would it normally take to change from FTTP On Demand to 'normal' FTTP?

This is my current running timeline. Took 3 days for the FTTPoD 1000/200 to change to WBC 1000/200 and become orderable. Your mileage may vary! smile I'm still a ways away from having service, but with each step it gets closer.

27/07/2020 - Openreach survey, pavement markings appear in our courtyard off street.
31/07/2020 - Evening works in road, pulling stuff off huge drums through the street ducts.
10/12/2020 - Flower beds in front of neighbour's houses have new chambers installed using existing ducts to street.
20/01/2021 - Fibre CBT installed in flowerbed chamber by Openreach contractors RDJ Utilities.
24/01/2021 - A peek indicates thoughts that I'm on direct buried armoured copper seemingly confirmed.
25/01/2021 - Tails of CBT spliced in a large chamber across the road, in the back of an RDJ Utilities van.
31/01/2021 - Openreach wholesale checker still doesn't offer FTTP, but FTTPoD has been upgraded from 330/30 to 1000/220.
03/02/2021 - Openreach wholesale checker now offers WBC FTTP 1000/220.

04/02/2021 - Ordered 900/115 from Zen over phone. Status on order tracker "Wait for KCI-2". No date for install yet, but claimed single visit(!)
05/02/2021 - Noted OR checker says "Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Pre built to curtilage Hard." - usually 2 (or more) stage install...
08/02/2021 - OR engineer arrived to survey, looks like plan is to intercept duct either in our flower bed or at edge of drive. Duct proved clear.
09/02/2021 - Email from Zen, 1st stage external install schedule 27/04/2021, 2nd stage internal install appointment 07/05/2021.
14/02/2021 - DIY installed 22mm barrier pipe as conduit from outside wall to inside wall ready for fibre with a couple of draw ropes.
22/02/2021 - Email from Zen, civils work confirmed required and scheduled complete by 03/01/2021. I asked if we could improve on date.
Standard User leegeorge
(newbie) Tue 23-Feb-21 12:23:06
Print Post

[re: jimbof] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply - I feel your pain!

literally 200m from my house another road on my estate went 'live' a few weeks ago - I am counting down the days now.....

Its good to know that it didnt take long for FTTP on demand to change to WBC FTTP smile hopefully should be able to order by the weekend (fingers crossed)

Hope you get your service sorted sooner than May!

Best regards

Lee
  Print Thread

Jump to