General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Feb-21 18:04:42
Print Post

Ooops! Poles in wrong place?

[link to this post]

Talking to a friend of mine earlier who lives on the outskirts of Connah's Quay and asked if he had FTTP. He said not as yet, but work has been going on outside his house; he like others there have their telephone lines fed by underground ducts. But a few weeks ago, half a dozen or so wooden telegraph poles were, as he put it, "planted" along a nearby road. This was followed recently with the same poles being removed.

I guess they hadn't rooted?

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sun 28-Feb-21 08:37:43
Print Post

Re: Ooops! Poles in wrong place?

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Maybe there was a burning need for a half dozen somewhere else....

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4675895-re...

🤣

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Feb-21 12:22:32
Print Post

It's not the Poles you have to worry about. It's the Lithuanians.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sun 28-Feb-21 12:30:39
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

or they had not the proper permissions or someone objected and FTTP is now not coming ?
Standard User Hewitt_Himself
(newbie) Sun 28-Feb-21 13:41:04
Print Post

I would assume the "do we have permission to put something here?" is included in a work order by now. More likely just be a F up and them not looking at what existed before making the order which was underground ducts, probs be back to blow cable in a few... its openreach so months.

Happened to my cul-de-sac which was the only part of the village that was ducts (except an 08 development) they tried to put a pole at the top of the cul-de -sac, realised it was going to need more poles, shared access on the power pole and the [censored] off for a year.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Feb-21 16:39:44
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
It's not the Poles you have to worry about. It's the Lithuanians.

"What are the Russians doing in Poland?"
"Holding up telegraph wires!"

(Des O'Connor out-take)
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Sun 28-Feb-21 21:07:20
Print Post

[re: Hewitt_Himself] [link to this post]

hewitt

the above comments show you have little understanding about complexity of building a fibre network and some of the associated issues / Challenges -- it thas was costed as poles then it will need to be poles , if they were objected that coudl mean the build is outside of the agreed cost - if that is the case it might not get completed any time soon and the engineering team will move on to the next available job. its like a production line in a factory , if you find one that not right size , shape , or something is wrong - you leave it and move on to the next one, that how most companies build nextworks because its about building at scale
Standard User jimbof
(learned) Sun 28-Feb-21 23:28:24
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman3:
the above comments show you have little understanding about complexity of building a fibre network and some of the associated issues / Challenges -- it thas was costed as poles then it will need to be poles , if they were objected that coudl mean the build is outside of the agreed cost - if that is the case it might not get completed any time soon and the engineering team will move on to the next available job. its like a production line in a factory , if you find one that not right size , shape , or something is wrong - you leave it and move on to the next one, that how most companies build nextworks because its about building at scale

It sounds like this goes all the way through FTTP deployments. I had my property surveyed a few weeks back for the small amount of civil work needed to intercept a duct to get it into the house. I mentioned to the engineer surveying if they could let me know when as I sometimes rent out my parking space and then I could make sure to have it available that day. He said he could put that down, but if he did the chances were they'd look at the job and just think - too difficult - and move onto the next one they can get straight in and out on. I appreciated the straight talking - and I've just made arrangements for the space not to be used from now until installation is done, so they can come and do the works whenever suits them.
Standard User martynp1
(regular) Sun 28-Feb-21 23:31:50
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

I didn't know they were being used.

I'll return them immediately!!

🤣
  Print Thread

Jump to