General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User abandndbythsystm
(newbie) Mon 01-Mar-21 17:30:26
Print Post

Stuck on ADSL when all around me have Fibre

[link to this post]

I've never seen a post saying that anyone with this problem ever got it resolved, maybe someone has some good news.

A few years ago my village got upgraded to Superfast Fibre up to 80mbps, however for whatever reason my house was missed and I am stuck on ADSL 6mbps 24-7, even the pumping station gets 80mbps frown. Apparently everyone else is connected to the cabinet 50m up the road but I'm connected to the exchange 1.3km away.

My ISP has so far not done anything to fix the problem and the OpenReach engineer who came out today said there were free ports in the cabinet but he couldn't do a lift 'n' shift because I am on the wrong head or something (?) He advised that I could raise a Cease and Re-provide with my ISP, which may or may not resolve the problem. I'm guessing this won't fix the problem I'll just be without internet for a fortnight then get back what I have now along with a new 24month contract for it and a lower minimum speed promise, yay! I just love Broken Britain.

Rather annoyingly BT won't install a second line at 80mbps because their computer says no. So I'm running out of ideas.

Has anyone else had this problem before and had it resolved?
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Mar-21 17:57:26
Print Post

Re: Stuck on ADSL when all around me have Fibre

[re: abandndbythsystm] [link to this post]

Could you provide a postcode?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Mar-21 18:40:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by abandndbythsystm:
Has anyone else had this problem before and had it resolved?

Sounds as if a database is wrong, perhaps one for MrSaffron.

21 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User abandndbythsystm
(newbie) Mon 01-Mar-21 20:28:51
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Could you provide a postcode?

IP8 3DU
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Mon 01-Mar-21 21:42:47
Print Post

depends how the village was enabled it it was enablement of an existing cabinet there if that cabinet was enabled and your in distance of it there tou should have be part of that enablement , if the village was enabed by building an new cabinet / pcp (all in one) and you are before that cabinet and the rest of the village is beyond the cabinet then it quite possibe you would not not have been covered as openreach is not allowed to increase line loss by more than 2db if you had been say 150 metres south of the cab that means to have been covered you line loss woud increase by 300 metres which your worsen you adsl beyond Ofcom requirements. Openreach is not allowed to worsen copper and force people to fibre (as that impact copper only sellling providers)
Standard User jpm
(member) Mon 01-Mar-21 22:30:52
Print Post

Looking on the BT Wholesale checker I can't find an address in that postcode that doesn't have FTTC availability, other than 'The Lodge' which seems to be a copy of 'Burstall Lodge', and Paradae which is also recorded as Paridae.

The correct UPRN for this address according to https://www.findmyaddress.co.uk/search is 10093347414, this UPRN returns nothing on the BTw checker. Hopefully this is just a database error.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Mar-21 22:35:16
Print Post

All but 2 of the properties in your post code are returning results and showing as cab 7 and those that are not I suspect are either yours with a database error or non existent or have never had a telephone line. On CodeLook it doesn't show any EO for your exchange.

What do you get if you enter your telephone number on the DSL Checker what exchange and cabinet does it say?

Edited by dect (Mon 01-Mar-21 22:46:17)

Standard User clyde123
(member) Tue 02-Mar-21 08:37:05
Print Post

. Apparently everyone else is connected to the cabinet 50m up the road but I'm connected to the exchange 1.3km away.

That suggests you're on an EO line. Which would not be able to get FTTC.
Although dect above discounts the EO possibility.
Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Mar-21 14:45:10
Print Post

[re: clyde123] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by clyde123:
. Apparently everyone else is connected to the cabinet 50m up the road but I'm connected to the exchange 1.3km away.

That suggests you're on an EO line. Which would not be able to get FTTC.
Although dect above discounts the EO possibility.

Codelook doesn't list all the EO lines on an exchange, only a few large EO bundles.

There's definitely EO lines on the OP's exchange.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Mar-21 16:35:31
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by j0hn83:
Codelook doesn't list all the EO lines on an exchange, only a few large EO bundles.

There's definitely EO lines on the OP's exchange.
Sorry thats my mistake frown I wrongly made the assumption about no EO on OP's exchange based on CodeLook. I will note that for any future comments.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to