General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User catbabylon
(newbie) Mon 01-Mar-21 18:18:16
Print Post

Vodafone Gigafast order delayed due to problem with pole?

[link to this post]

Hi all

I recently ordered Gigafast which has been slowly rolling out in south Leeds for the past 18 months. Everything seemed to be fine, I had an installation date in mid-March. Then I got a call from Vodafone saying that Cityfibre had had to cancel the installation appt due to a problem with the telegraph pole. They couldn't confirm what the problem was or when Openreach will be able to fix it. All they said was that I will just continue on the Superfast product that I currently have and they'll let me know.
Whats bothering me is that the one bit of info I got from Vodafone was the code for the box on the pole, which I located outside my house. However, I am not connected to that pole, I'm connected to a pole outside the other side of my house.

I'm guessing that they would be wiring up a completely new fibre cable to my house anyway and they don't have to use the pole that connects to my house currently, but if there is a problem with that one why not use the other?

Any ideas?
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Mar-21 20:12:36
Print Post

Re: Vodafone Gigafast order delayed due to problem with pole

[re: catbabylon] [link to this post]

Is the pole your connected to a carrier pole or is there a DP marking on it?
Standard User _Icaras_
(newbie) Tue 02-Mar-21 08:40:18
Print Post

Interesting times-Openreach PIA being used more widespread now. Could it be that the pole is full?

Icaras

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User catbabylon
(newbie) Tue 02-Mar-21 09:09:36
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

I'll have a look at the poles after work today, what I can tell without going outside is that the pole I am connected to is metal - unlike al the other poles around here which are wood.
Standard User catbabylon
(newbie) Tue 02-Mar-21 16:29:00
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

My pole does have a DP number on it
Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Mar-21 09:50:18
Print Post

I think that's the problem . The pole will need to be replaced as I think there has been a stop on new connections to hollow poles.
Standard User _Icaras_
(newbie) Sun 07-Mar-21 17:07:49
Print Post

There you go then, there’s your answer in the post above this one.

It doesn’t surprise me. I’ve long wondered (after leaving Openreach) “how do they do FTTP in hollow poles”? Got to be messy.

Icaras
Standard User catbabylon
(newbie) Sun 07-Mar-21 19:30:13
Print Post

[re: _Icaras_] [link to this post]

Thanks all. Yes that explains why they aren't using the pole I am currently connected to, however the installation got cancelled because of 'a fault' with the wooden pole outside the front of the house, but they were unable to offer any explanation as to what the issue was or when it will be fixed by Openreach. Is there any way of finding out whats going on ?
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sun 07-Mar-21 19:45:15
Print Post

They’ll replace the pole. Had to replace about 3 when they did my oD install. Took a month or two to sort. Might be quicker or slower depending on workload.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to