General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User doc_holiday
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 04-Mar-21 17:31:04
Print Post

How hard is it to get a fiber cable and ONT moved?

[link to this post]

We bought a house with fiber already installed. Sadly, the line from the pole impedes some remodeling we would like to do to the front of the house. So we need to move it about 10 feet or so. We also would take the opportunity to put the ONT in a different spot, with power of course.

Anyone know how hard and expensive this is to get it done?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Mar-21 19:58:55
Print Post

Re: How hard is it to get a fiber cable and ONT moved?

[re: doc_holiday] [link to this post]

Do you have a working service via the ONT ? If so , then contact the service provider and ask for a quote.

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Thu 04-Mar-21 23:25:53
Print Post

Well there is another way, and it would be less than a tenner...actually less than a fiver, but I couldn't possibly say on a public forum.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman3
(member) Thu 04-Mar-21 23:31:42
Print Post

you will need to do that formally , you can ask here - https://www.openreach.com/network-services/altering-...
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Fri 05-Mar-21 07:59:20
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

I can imagine how easy it might be, hypothetically, to move an NTE for the POTS. Not that anyone here would be so naughty. But an ONT? Don't you need a degree in electrical engineering and a big bag of special tools to join fibre? I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in real life and now I wonder how the cable is terminated in the ONT. Maybe it has a connector and just slides in? But if you wanted to move it even 10 feet you'd need spare cable. I wonder if you can buy spare cable for less than a pound a foot...
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 05-Mar-21 08:20:02
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
I can imagine how easy it might be, hypothetically, to move an NTE for the POTS. Not that anyone here would be so naughty. But an ONT? Don't you need a degree in electrical engineering and a big bag of special tools to join fibre? I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in real life and now I wonder how the cable is terminated in the ONT. Maybe it has a connector and just slides in? But if you wanted to move it even 10 feet you'd need spare cable. I wonder if you can buy spare cable for less than a pound a foot...

No you just need a green simplex SC/APC coupler, £0.20 and an green ended SC/APC patch cord, less than £2

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 05-Mar-21 08:28:29
Print Post

BUT, what you are missing in your cheap and cheerful solution, is that the OP wants the overhead bit shifting also.
Sadly, the line from the pole impedes some remodeling we would like to do to the front of the house.

Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Fri 05-Mar-21 08:41:51
Print Post

Learn something new every day. Usually not so early though.

So all that fibre come with connectors fitted? That's the reason for the coils of 'spare' length in the ONT and other joints? It's never cut to length like ye olde fashioned electric cable?
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 05-Mar-21 08:55:51
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

GPON is terminated on SC/APC connectors at the customer side. These are exactly the same size etc as regular blue SC connectors, but the fibre face on the ferule (tip) is angled very slightly at 8-degrees to reduce reflection and hence return loss on the link, which is quite important where is a single fibre core is used for a bi-directional link. Never mate a regular blue (SC/UPC) connector with a green SC/APC connector - they will mate and fit but there is a chance of damage to the fibre faces and also the link will suffer loss.

Speaking in general with fibre, its always better to have some spare in case it needs a re-termination or a re-splice. You can of course cut it to any length you like and glue, fusion or mechanically place the connectors on.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 05-Mar-21 08:57:16
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
BUT, what you are missing in your cheap and cheerful solution, is that the OP wants the overhead bit shifting also.
Sadly, the line from the pole impedes some remodeling we would like to do to the front of the house.

Good point. Only for internal re-modelling and its not strictly kosher (in terms of playing with gear that technically is within the service boundary of OR)

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to