General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User crdrummond
(newbie) Thu 04-Mar-21 22:58:49
Print Post

New house, not on roll out

[link to this post]

Hi there!
We’ve just moved to Penn, Buckinghamshire, where there is a current roll out of FTTP in progress.
However we have just found out that we are not included in this as we are a new build and it was up to the developers of our house to install it (which they chose not to). This also means that I don’t think we are eligible for gigabit vouchers. The road we are on is a mix of old and new houses - so from what I can tell, Openreach is going to run FTTP to all the old houses on the road and then leave all the new ones unconnected!
This seems absolutely bonkers to me and inherently unfair as it wasn’t our choice to not get FTTP.
Does anyone have experience of this and what we can do?
Our plot is a plot of 4 houses only, two of which are not yet sold. Any thoughts appreciated!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 04-Mar-21 23:21:57
Print Post

Re: New house, not on roll out

[re: crdrummond] [link to this post]

Another case of developers trying to save pennies ...

They could easily have installed the infrastructure and BT would have guided then to FTTP and increase the price of the house by £1000 but shortsightedness and penny pinching means that you will probably end up paying way more and they may struggle to sell the other two at full price.

All you and the other purchase can do is plead with BT and maybe even pay to get an install now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Thu 04-Mar-21 23:23:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by crdrummond:
The road we are on is a mix of old and new houses - so from what I can tell, Openreach is going to run FTTP to all the old houses on the road and then leave all the new ones unconnected!

Are you absolutely sure about that? Typically Openreach will allow enough CBT ports for all properties in a given street when doing a full rollout.

What does broadband checker say for your address?

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Thu 04-Mar-21 23:24:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fastman3
(member) Thu 04-Mar-21 23:35:23
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

not bonkers at, indicates you developer has either decided to do copper , or not agreed to do fibre when he registered his new sites - think your discussion ought to be with your developer to see if they will fund it - openreach deployment / fibre programme will have no visibility of that development at the time the decsion was made to fibre the area - this is not untypcial in small developments that come after / during an area fibre build
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Thu 04-Mar-21 23:36:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

absolutely
Standard User crdrummond
(newbie) Thu 04-Mar-21 23:43:44
Print Post

It says that it’s on cabinet 2 and lists FTTP as available but adds in the notes that FTTP is not available to the premises as it’s not on the roll out programme.
Given we have already completed we are going to have a very hard time convincing the developer to install fibre, aren’t we?
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Thu 04-Mar-21 23:56:23
Print Post

Does it say in the notes “ FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.”

Can you post a screen shot of the output from the checker? Anonymised if you wish.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User crdrummond
(newbie) Fri 05-Mar-21 00:00:31
Print Post

I’m posting from my mobile which doesn’t seem to me an option to so screen shots, but the text says:

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31 Oct 2013. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Mar-21 06:51:10
Print Post

What FTTC speeds are quoted (if any)?

This is on the developer you won’t get anywhere but with them. Ultimately if they don’t agree, you are stuck as it’s standardised that developer is responsible to work with open reach on new builds.

Very few choose copper only
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 05-Mar-21 06:53:46
Print Post

No such luck then. Back to the developers, but they doubtless will wash their hands of it is my bet. You can only try. Otherwise you and your other new neighbour (and future two neighbours) would need to fund a connection - or if the rollout is still progressing try getting in touch with Openreach to see if there is another chance. Either way it’s not going to be easy I think.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to