General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smcgreg1
(newbie) Mon 15-Mar-21 22:08:50
Print Post

Openreach have told me they moved me to a different cabinet

[link to this post]

Apologies for the long post but here goes....
For the last few years i have been trying to get Openreach to move my line to a local cabinet. I live in a terrace block of 4 houses and I am the only property that was not connected to my local cabinet (32). After many years of trying to get Openreach to admit there was a mistake I finally got a small breakthrough when my neighbour told me he get 80mb download speeds. I only get 12mb (on a good day)
I used the BT Wholesale checker and it said I was on cabinet 21 (2000m away) and my neighbours were on 32 (200m away). After lots of hassling Openreach on twitter i finally got them to call me and they agreed that did not sound right. They thought it was a database problem to start with and they said they would investigate. After they done a bit of research and sent out an engineer to physically check that i was on the cabinet over 2km away they eventually agreed that something was wrong as everyone in my street was on the local cabinet.
So that was the history so now moving up to recent events. Openreach told my twice (I challenged them the first time) that i have now been moved to cabinet 32. If i check the BT wholesale site again it also says i have been moved to cabinet 32. The only problem is it still only says the old download speeds of around 12mb. My router also suggests that i am still connected to the cabinet over 2km away when i check the stats Line Attenuation D1(28.2 dB) , D2(85.9 dB) , D3(0.0 dB).
I contacted my provider and they too confirm i have the old speeds but are unable to confirm what cabinet I am on. If i do a speed check it still only says 12mb and my provider said if my line had been moved it would be much faster. They also said it would have been impossible without cancelling my current line and that did not happen either.
I'm confused as to what to do next as BT Wholesale says the cabinet has moved but nothing else has changed. No ISP's recognise a speed change either.
Apologies for the long post but if anyone has any suggests as to what to do next I am open to suggestions

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Cheers
Scott
Standard User _Icaras_
(learned) Tue 16-Mar-21 11:53:11
Print Post

Re: Openreach have told me they moved me to a different cabi

[re: smcgreg1] [link to this post]

Your ISP won’t know anything about cabinets, it’s nothing to do with them.

I would suggest you now simply tell your ISP that your speed is far slower than it should (as you are only 200m away from the cabinet). Don’t overcomplicate things and aim to get an Openreach engineer out to find out what’s going on.

It looks like you are physically connected to the old cabinet still, not 32. Openreach have simply updated their records but physically nothing has changed. I suspect your ISP will need to request a cease and re-provide to prompt a physical move to cabinet 32. Good luck with that.

Icaras
Standard User smcgreg1
(newbie) Tue 16-Mar-21 11:59:49
Print Post

[re: _Icaras_] [link to this post]

thanks _Icaras_
I am out of my 18 month contract with my provider so wondering if i would be better cancelling the contract and then going with a new provider to maybe force the cease and reprovide?

I am probably going to do this to see if i can get a better deal anyway but thought i would give my current provider a chance to see if they can resolve

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User j0hn83
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Mar-21 00:53:54
Print Post

Email Clive Selley, the OpenReach CEO.
It will be picked up by high level complaints.

Be detailed but don't write a novel.

Going through an ISP for things like that is like talking to a brick wall.
Standard User _Icaras_
(learned) Fri 19-Mar-21 13:06:50
Print Post

That might work but you’d have to make sure you are getting a new line rather than just taking over the existing one.

The system needs to be tricked into “building” the routing from scratch using the cabinet details now showing for your address.

Icaras
Standard User smcgreg1
(newbie) Mon 12-Apr-21 11:50:47
Print Post

[re: _Icaras_] [link to this post]

Quick update - After involving my local MP and Clive Seeley (thanks for the tips) I am now getting the correct speeds.
I ended up terminating my contract with Sky and then within a week the BT wholesale website was update to show the speeds I should be getting so was able to order a new line. Now I am on the correct cabinet and getting the same speeds as my neighbours.
Standard User _Icaras_
(learned) Wed 14-Apr-21 18:47:07
Print Post

Good, so in a roundabout way you did a cease and re-provide. Just with a different ISP?

Icaras
  Print Thread

Jump to