General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Grimers
(newbie) Sun 28-Mar-21 16:26:02
Print Post

Colaton Raleigh FTTP Rollout

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm connected to the Colaton Raleigh exchange where FTTP is being rolled out and some properties are now able to order. However, I have noticed that on the BT Broadband Availability Checker, for properties that are live, the WBC FTTP is showing as 330/50, not 1000/220. Does anyone know if there's a reason for this?

Thanks!

Will

BT FTTC - 55/8

Edited by Grimers (Sun 28-Mar-21 16:28:28)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Mar-21 06:06:18
Print Post

Re: Colaton Raleigh FTTP Rollout

[re: Grimers] [link to this post]

The manufacturer of the head end in the exchange is the usual cause.

Standard User witchunt
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Mar-21 08:37:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Huawei so dont think so.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Grimers
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-21 09:45:40
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

I was going to say, all cabinets are Huawei on the exchange, so I thought they would use the same manufacturer?

Here's an example: https://i.gyazo.com/c49eb7f29674455a870ae65509e4e8ff...

BT FTTC - 55/8

Edited by Grimers (Mon 29-Mar-21 09:54:38)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Mar-21 10:28:58
Print Post

You're looking at BT Wholesale's view. One possibility is that BTW don't have sufficient interconnect capacity at that headend exchange currently. You could try ordering through a different provider that doesn't use BTW's network. What do other checkers say, e.g. Zen, Talktalk?

Another explanation is that it's a database error - they simply forgot to update the speed.

Do you actually want to buy service faster than 300? If so, place an order (over the phone if necessary), and if it fails you may get an explanation and/or timescale for resolution.
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Mon 29-Mar-21 10:37:00
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

I've seen this where 1000/200 is available in one part of the street but only 330/50 in another. Parts of the same street aren't being enabled at the same time. My assumption was a database not being updated. I _think_ people are only able to order up to 350 services in the 'slow' part at the moment.

Edited by Woolwich (Mon 29-Mar-21 10:37:45)

Standard User Grimers
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-21 11:36:00
Print Post

Unfortunately, I can't order the service at my property yet. The FTTP has been at least partially built, but it's not live yet. I was just looking around at other properties, so it was more curiosity rather than concern. Thanks for your explanation, though. smile
Standard User Grimers
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-21 11:36:32
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

I see, thanks. It's probably just a matter of time, then. smile
Standard User Grimers
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-21 11:39:15
Print Post

It seems the "Fibre 500 Data Only" package is available from TT, so maybe it is a BTW issue, then.
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Mon 29-Mar-21 11:45:43
Print Post

Sounds it - Simply sounds like a lack of upgrading on BTW's part of the 10GB Cablelinks
Standard User Grimers
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-21 15:28:29
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

Do you think this could be because Colaton Raleigh is a small exchange? Would they eventually make 1000/220 available to people/businesses who may need it?
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Mar-21 15:50:08
Print Post

In short, no.

FTTP doesn't terminate in small exchanges - the fibre runs directly to larger "head end" exchanges, bypassing both the cabinets and the small exchanges.

Eventually when the copper network is retired, many small exchanges will close.
Standard User Grimers
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-21 15:53:09
Print Post

Ah yes, my bad. It comes from Sidmouth which provides very little FTTP, but there is a new build in my village that has 1000/220 FTTP so maybe they will upgrade the speeds in time. smile
(regular) Mon 29-Mar-21 17:14:53
Print Post

Yeah - I assume BTW is at capacity at Sidmouth or is yet to purchase it's / more of the 10GB Cable Links to their backhaul network which support the higher speeds. I imagine in time this will upgraded relatively soon as BTW and OR most likely share upgrade plans, and will upgrade when they see fit.

TalkTalk 500 is a good sign to show it's not a Vendor issue (I.e. Huawei not ECI).

Edited by Whitehall11 (Mon 29-Mar-21 17:15:12)

Standard User Grimers
(newbie) Mon 29-Mar-21 17:54:31
Print Post

I see! Yeah, I'm glad we have Huawei kit on this exchange, being connected to a Huawei cabinet has many advantages! laugh
Standard User Grimers
(newbie) Fri 02-Apr-21 21:57:51
Print Post

I forgot to mention that the properties that can order FTTP are marked as "Planned" and have been for many days. Does anyone know what this means and how long it takes for the status to go to "Available"? Thanks!
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sat 03-Apr-21 09:50:42
Print Post

So they can't actually order FTTP if it says planned, it means just that and no one (apart from Openreach employees in the know) will be able to tell you how long before it changes to available. Could be weeks, months etc.
Standard User Grimers
(newbie) Sat 03-Apr-21 12:48:34
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Well, they can because I put their address into an ISPs checker and they could order a FTTP service... wink
(committed) Sun 04-Apr-21 08:33:08
Print Post

ISP checkers will tell you anything, it may not be correct. Do you know if there are actually any working FTTP connections where the checker only says "Planned"? I doubt it.

You need to see something like this on the BT availability checker in the text below the speed estimates ....

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered.

I did find a property in the area with planned status, in this case the checker says ...

FTTP is in Planned status. An order may be placed which will be processed when the network is ready.

So maybe you can place an order but you won't get any service yet, not sure how the ISP ordering systems would handle that.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Sun 04-Apr-21 08:59:12)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Apr-21 08:59:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
ISP checkers will tell you anything, it may not be correct. Do you know if there are actually any working FTTP connections where the checker only says "Planned"? I doubt it.

You need to see something like this on the BT availability checker in the text below the speed estimates ....

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered.

You'll only see "ONT exists with active service" when FTTP has actually been installed at the property. Prior to that you will see something like this:

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed Not Evaluated.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.
(committed) Sun 04-Apr-21 09:04:15
Print Post

That's what I was asking the OP, he won't find any with active service, I have just edited my post, it seems you can place an order when in Planned status but obviously not get any service, so not a lot of use.
Standard User Grimers
(learned) Sun 04-Apr-21 09:10:54
Print Post

Yes, that's what I'm seeing. Yes, what I meant was that they can place an order but they won't be connected until the network goes live smile

EDIT: I've just checked a "Planned" property's UPRN and it's showing as "Available". Interesting!

Edited by Grimers (Sun 04-Apr-21 09:21:04)

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Apr-21 09:24:47
Print Post

I don't believe that Openreach accept "pre-orders" before the network is ready. I think you're just seeing a database update artifact - a delay between being able to accept orders, and the public-facing checker updating to reflect this.
Standard User Grimers
(learned) Sun 04-Apr-21 10:04:46
Print Post

Gotcha! I did wonder now that "Planned" status has been showing for a long time...
Standard User Grimers
(learned) Tue 06-Apr-21 16:04:55
Print Post

Well, looks like the address checker is incorrect but the UPRN isn't! Spotted a CBT with a subscriber connected earlier and wholla!

"ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered."
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Thu 15-Apr-21 15:07:34
Print Post

Well, BNE are out in force in my village (Newton Poppleford) quite a bit, atm! Looks like we're on the home stretch! smile
ISP Representative aquiss
(isp) Fri 16-Apr-21 08:30:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by candlerb:
I don't believe that Openreach accept "pre-orders" before the network is ready. I think you're just seeing a database update artifact - a delay between being able to accept orders, and the public-facing checker updating to reflect this.

Openreach do accept Planned Orders. They are treated the same as FTTC Waiting Lists, they hold the order until the network locally is ready. These orders will basically be allocated the first appointments in a Planned area once live.

Our systems and checkers are already setup to support the Planned status flag, some of the bigger providers will just throw it back as unavailable.

Martin Pitt
Company Founder
Aquiss Limited
https://www.aquiss.net

FTTC, FTTP, GEA, EFM, Leased Lines, Telecoms and Hosting
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Sun 18-Apr-21 18:56:58
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

That's interesting. How come where there is a live connection, it still says "Planned" on the address checker then, even though the UPRN says "Available"?

Edited by Grimers (Sun 18-Apr-21 18:57:50)

Standard User Grimers
(member) Sat 01-May-21 20:28:55
Print Post

More properties on the exchange are now appearing as "Planned" on the BTw checker, although none are showing as "Available" yet, from what I've searched. Strange!

Edited by Grimers (Sat 01-May-21 20:29:15)

(member) Sat 01-May-21 21:12:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Grimers:
More properties on the exchange are now appearing as "Planned" on the BTw checker, although none are showing as "Available" yet, from what I've searched. Strange!

Having just had a look myself - It looks like the whole worry of 330 / 50 and not 1000 / 200, may of been driven by the fact the database has not been touched yet.

When FTTP usually comes online, a few days before the status changes to 1000 / 200 etc to recognise the headend is Huawei etc, not ECI which was capped.
Standard User Grimers
(member) Sat 01-May-21 21:23:18
Print Post

Re: Colaton Raleigh FTTP Rollout *DELETED*

Post deleted by Grimers

Edited by Grimers (Sat 01-May-21 21:25:01)

Standard User Grimers
(member) Sat 01-May-21 21:29:28
Print Post

I see. What I'm trying to get my head round is why the properties that are marked as "Planned" on the BTw checker, can order a faster service than 330/50 from non-BTw ISPs? Does that prove that it's not the headend vendor, but something else?
(member) Sun 02-May-21 10:51:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Grimers:
I see. What I'm trying to get my head round is why the properties that are marked as "Planned" on the BTw checker, can order a faster service than 330/50 from non-BTw ISPs? Does that prove that it's not the headend vendor, but something else?

I think ultimately it's probably a combination of two factors:

Planned Properties - Simply haven't had the rest of the network connected up and thus cannot properly have an order processed, so the database is going to be inaccurate untill everything is audited / green lit by OR

GEA CableLink Capacity - As we've discussed, if those properties which can order WBC FTTP (AVALIABLE) are capped on the 330/50, it's likely that BTW have not upgraded their 10GB links yet.

All will be well soon smile
Standard User Grimers
(member) Sun 02-May-21 17:39:42
Print Post

I see, thank you for the explanation smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to