General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Cockroach
(learned) Mon 05-Apr-21 10:52:14
Print Post

Openreach FTTP upgrades for MDU (Apartment Blocks)?

[link to this post]

Is anyone aware of Openreach upgrading apartment blocks as part of a local FTTP rollout?

I can see all the adjacent streets have been upgraded and are taking orders so am concerned my building was missed.

Are Openreach including MDUs during area upgrades or are they handled separately due to wayleave and access issues?

I've tried Hyperoptic as an alternative avenue but they aren't getting any love from the managing agent.

Iain
Standard User Woolwich
(experienced) Mon 05-Apr-21 11:03:32
Print Post

Re: Openreach FTTP upgrades for MDU (Apartment Blocks)?

[re: Cockroach] [link to this post]

Yes. Not twenty story tower blocks but 'walk up' three or four story blocks. I'm sure they count as MDUs, but who knows.
I also know of streets with blocks like this where one or two were missed while others were connected. Again, who knows? (Openreach but they won't tell you.)
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Mon 05-Apr-21 11:36:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Cockroach:
I've tried Hyperoptic as an alternative avenue but they aren't getting any love from the managing agent.

The law recently changed to make your life easier...

Telecommunications Infrastructure (Leasehold Property) Act 2021

Edit: apparently, even though the act received royal assent last month, it is not yet fully in force until certain regulations are made to specify conditions that providers need to comply with. However that said, it puts a lot more pressure on landlords to no longer play dumb and actively engage with service providers before they get either dragged into court or face code powers.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Pheasant (Mon 05-Apr-21 11:54:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Cockroach
(learned) Mon 05-Apr-21 12:48:57
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

My block goes up to floor 7 and has 41 flats so it's medium sized. Not sure how that impacts Openreach's rollout plans...

I can't believe a new build in SW London (zone 3) completed in 2019 was only provisioned with standard copper in the first place.

Iain
Standard User Grimers
(learned) Mon 05-Apr-21 16:17:41
Print Post

I think it depends on the developer. For example, there are 2 new build areas in my village, one has FTTP, one doesn't.
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Mon 05-Apr-21 17:34:02
Print Post

depends when the developer registered the design with Openreach . there are 3 things that could have happened .(1), it was called off / Registered with Openreach pre 2016 then copper was only option (irrelevant when you bought it or it was sold) - . (2) it was possible FTTP site but the developer chose not to fund the FTTP and then had copper only (3) they had and FTTP offer chose not to do it but dedided that FTTC would be suitable (4) they didnt registered it in time and copper was the only option available (driven by when first person occupying - needing Telephony) - This is called the First Occupancy Date
Standard User Cockroach
(learned) Mon 05-Apr-21 19:12:18
Print Post

[re: Fastman3] [link to this post]

I suspect it was (2) but at believe it was at least considered. I asked the site manager from the construction company who said:

"We do usually get free supply of fibre and install it now in new buildings but it depends on Openreach... they didn’t have the fibre network ready."

The construction probably started in 2016/17 based on planning applications and street view and was handed over in early 2019. No idea when Openreach would have got involved. Frustratingly there is a development exactly opposite on the other side of the main road that was completed less than a year later and has Openreach FTTP and Hyperoptic.

I'm sure if the developer had got Hyperoptic or Community Fibre involved they'd have been much more keen than Openreach to get fibre to the site.

Anyway, was just wondering how Openreach approach these sort of copper-only developments after the fact and how they go about retrofitting when doing the rest of the area.

Iain
Standard User jpm
(member) Tue 06-Apr-21 10:18:53
Print Post

I don't think anybody knows. I've not seen any discussion of Openreach plans to serve these buildings since the original plans for G.fast based around remote nodes were being made ~7 years ago.
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Tue 06-Apr-21 10:41:26
Print Post

[re: jpm] [link to this post]

i assume that was registered in the period where fibre was no an option or Developer chose least path of resistance
Standard User Fastman3
(member) Tue 06-Apr-21 10:42:51
Print Post

[re: Grimers] [link to this post]

which is utterly ridiculous so you can see whih one of these will sell easily and one which will generate a shed load of issues -- PS Developer get paid to have infrastrcutre from whoever provides it
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to