General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jimmybond007
(newbie) Sun 18-Apr-21 11:23:38
Print Post

Hey Broadband postcode anomaly

[link to this post]

There may be too many unknowns here for anyone to really answer this but let's see smile

Under my postcode, 4 house come up. All have Hey Broadband available apart from ours (we all detached houses and we do seem to have our own pole which is then attached to another which serves the other houses) . Now I'm not sure whether they dug the roads for their own network or piggy back off of BT. I say that because we do have ultrafast from BT (up to 900) and therefore we can get it from EE, ZEN and others etc.

So I wonder whether there postcode checker is simply wrong...
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Apr-21 11:31:21
Print Post

Re: Hey Broadband postcode anomaly

[re: jimmybond007] [link to this post]

I'm pretty sure they're not using the Openreach FTTP network:

- the speeds they offer (250/50 and 1000/1000) are not available on Openreach
- they don't offer it at my postcode, which has OR FTTP

More likely they are using Openreach PIA, which means stringing their own cables on Openreach poles and/or inside Openreach ducts.

If you want the service at your location, I suggest you phone them up. Googling suggests that sometimes they charge excess construction charges:
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/heybroadband.co.uk
(newbie) Sun 18-Apr-21 11:33:40
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

Ok thanks. So the fact that my postcode is served just not my house could be down the whole having my own pole situation!?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Apr-21 11:39:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by jimmybond007:
Ok thanks. So the fact that my postcode is served just not my house could be down the whole having my own pole situation!?

It could be. It could be they decided your property was too expensive to connect; or it could just be that they overlooked your property when planning. If you want to know, phone them.
(newbie) Sun 18-Apr-21 11:40:16
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

I have - I was just interested what people thought it might be. Appreciate you responding.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sun 18-Apr-21 19:27:21
Print Post

They use Adtran ONTs for their FTTP service, so it’s definitely their own dedicated fibre network and not simply a comms provider using the Openreach FTTP network.
Standard User Realalemadrid
(committed) Sun 18-Apr-21 20:37:07
Print Post

So you have been in contact with HeyBroadband, what response did you get? Any sensible explanation for why they could not provide service to your address. As you already have Openreach FTTP available do you really need another supplier or do you just want 1000/1000 because it's the holy grail.smile
(newbie) Mon 19-Apr-21 07:55:48
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Because they're half the price of everyone else!

Waiting to hear back from HB.
Standard User nofappingway
(newbie) Mon 19-Apr-21 14:50:47
Print Post

I have Hey's symmetrical gigabit service. Its Fibre & Wireless' network they provide service over which is deployed via OR's poles & ducts.

When I was watching them deploy, they seemed to enable individual streets at a time rather than flood an area with their service and enable it all at once. Their customer service team are pretty responsive but I sincerely doubt they will share their deployment plans with any more than an indicative date as they got stung by OR last year causing a 3-4 month delay after promising customers a connection last September (in my area at least).

FWIW, their symmetrical gigabit service is a great deal for £40/month. I notice they say 'no price hikes for the length of the contract'. I'm wondering what the price will go up to in 36 months time.
(newbie) Mon 19-Apr-21 14:54:01
Print Post

[re: nofappingway] [link to this post]

So it seems weird that under my postcode, all 4 houses have it apart from mine. Still trying to find out why especially if they use OR poles!
  Print Thread

Jump to