General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chriswillb
(newbie) Mon 19-Apr-21 12:26:52
Print Post

A few connectorised FTTP internal install questions

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm due to get FTTP installed in June, upgrading from FTTC. This will be a connectorised install (not spliced).

I have a few questions about the internal wiring side of things:

How are these installs usually performed these days, last time I had FTTP put in was at my parents', it was back in 2017 when there were 2 separate appointments and everything was spliced. Is this done in one single appointment these days with connectors?

Is there any splicing at all, or is it just one straight run from the ONT directly back to the CBT on the telegraph pole?

Finally, I want some control over where the ONT goes, I'd rather it out of the way in my office on the top floor as that is where all my cat6 terminates. The cable entry for the fibre would be on the front of the house and the office is on the top floor at the rear. If I were to install some conduit with a pull rope through the house to the front soffit (office is a loft room), with no sharp bends and a pull rope roughly 8m total length, would the engineer be happy to use this?

Sorry for the myriad questions it's just I've seen a few installs where the ONT was placed wherever was easiest for the engineer and not always with the prettiest or most practical result.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Apr-21 12:54:33
Print Post

Re: A few connectorised FTTP internal install questions

[re: chriswillb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by chriswillb:
I'm due to get FTTP installed in June, upgrading from FTTC. This will be a connectorised install (not spliced).

Do you know that for sure? I had a connectorised install in 2019, with a one-piece cable running to the CBT, but since then I've heard that in general they are moving back to using an external CSP.

How are these installs usually performed these days, last time I had FTTP put in was at my parents', it was back in 2017 when there were 2 separate appointments and everything was spliced. Is this done in one single appointment these days with connectors?

Both are possible. Use the BT wholesale availability checker to see if your install is "1 stage" or "2 stage". If it says "KCI2 assure" then there will likely be a survey prior to install.

Is there any splicing at all, or is it just one straight run from the ONT directly back to the CBT on the telegraph pole?

I gather there are different standard lengths they can use. I would expect them to splice at the CSP, but there would be no mid-span splicing between the CSP and the CBT.

(Mine was underground, and as I said, there was no CSP. The cable was pulled in through the conduit I'd left, stripped back and the connector added).

Finally, I want some control over where the ONT goes

Talk nicely to the engineer on the day. The main constraints will be around safety, and in particular what work they are allowed to do on a ladder or in a loft. It may be that they are supposed to run the cable down to a CSP at ground level, but would be prepared to run it back up to your office.

The general experience seems to be that if you've prepared a suitable conduit with a pull rope, the engineer will be more than happy to use it.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 19-Apr-21 13:11:53
Print Post

It will be down to the installer on the day as to whether he really wants to do as you want. But if you make it easy, better chance of compliance.

I recently had mine installed - by Kellys! And actually most was OK - initially refused to go in the small loft/comms room, but as pointed out, proper steps and fully boarded - designed for access.

I installed standard 20mm electrical conduit and used hand pulled swept bends - went through walls at 45 degrees, and if a full 90 bend was needed, used Inspection BENDS and not Elbows, that allowed it to be eased through.

Rather than drawstring I had a nylon draw tape in place..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 19-Apr-21 13:13:53
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by candlerb:
Do you know that for sure? I had a connectorised install in 2019, with a one-piece cable running to the CBT, but since then I've heard that in general they are moving back to using an external CSP.

My "External" CSP is in the comms area! They ran the cable through the conduit to there.

So, no down the wall and back up and it looks fine. OK if there is a problem, OR will need access but that is a minor hurdle.

M H C

Edited by MHC (Mon 19-Apr-21 13:15:05)

Standard User chriswillb
(newbie) Mon 19-Apr-21 14:07:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That's good to know, thank you. Thankfully for me the only "loft" type space is the eves which is essentially a cupboard. There are boards down and it's only a few feet wide so I don't expect it to be a problem, also the conduit is essentially on straight run along the length of the wall with maybe a couple of wide-radius bends.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 19-Apr-21 14:09:52
Print Post

I used a short length of flexible conduit - the ridged type for the last 45cm down to the soffit. The pushed the cable through, I then attached to the draw wire and pulled through. I also did not glue the joints - just in case.

M H C

Standard User chriswillb
(newbie) Mon 19-Apr-21 14:11:15
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

That wholesale site is really useful, thankyou!

The pole at the end of my driveway has a connector block on it not the green DP like they have with spliced. Confirmed with an engineer that it is a connectorised install. The wholesales website confirms that also.

So from what I'm reading then they tend to do "hybrid" installs at the moment where it's ONT connector, splice, CBT connector. What dia conduit would be suitable, 20mm?
Standard User chriswillb
(newbie) Mon 19-Apr-21 14:12:35
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Did you leave the draw wire dangling outside then, ready for OR to pull the fibre through?

Edited by chriswillb (Mon 19-Apr-21 14:13:13)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 19-Apr-21 14:17:36
Print Post

No - I had always intended using the original copper cabling and hole in the soffit to pull the fibre through, or to pull the draw to the outside, although in the end they just pushed it through, I grabbed it and attached to the draw wire.

M H C

Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 19-Apr-21 15:05:27
Print Post

The pole at the end of my driveway has a connector block on it not the green DP like they have with spliced. Confirmed with an engineer that it is a connectorised install. The wholesales website confirms that also.

Ah, then we were talking at cross purposes, sorry.

Yes: *all* FTTP uses a CBT these days, whether it's overhead or underground. The difference is whether it's a one-piece cable all the way to the ONT, or whether it's spliced at a CSP.

20mm will be plenty: that's what I used (in fact they were able to pull two cables through).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to