General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jimbof
(regular) Tue 27-Apr-21 19:26:57
Print Post

Re: Router hardware capable of routing 900mbps over PPPoE (F

[re: mikehiow] [link to this post]

Pi compute module 4 supports onboard EMMC which is considered perhaps a little hardier than many SD cards, and also has a 1x PCIexpress interface on the docking header. There might be gigabit carriers over PCI express at some point.

Still might struggle though with PPPoE and getting the gigabit in and out at the same time.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Apr-21 04:11:15
Print Post

The Mikrotik will also shift 2Gb/s IPsec VPN throughput, I love mine(also free OS updates unlike Cisco etc).
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Apr-21 04:17:57
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

My personal preference is a CPU that can be passively cooled - I'm using a Ryzen GE series CPU(Pro 3200GE) that has a 35W TDP and works with an Alpine heatsink. Fans always fail from my experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jimbof
(regular) Wed 28-Apr-21 08:03:48
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

Does look like an amazing little beasty.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Wed 28-Apr-21 08:31:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
The Mikrotik will also shift 2Gb/s IPsec VPN throughput, I love mine(also free OS updates unlike Cisco etc).

We should start a separate thread on that very subject. Obviously headline throughput is quite dependent on IPsec configuration. I've run some bandwidth tests on Miktriotik CCR to CCR site to site VPN's and the results are interesting.
Standard User danielhyde
(member) Wed 28-Apr-21 11:01:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
My personal preference is a CPU that can be passively cooled - I'm using a Ryzen GE series CPU(Pro 3200GE) that has a 35W TDP and works with an Alpine heatsink. Fans always fail from my experience.

One thing i'd say on this is as long as you get a decent motherboard you can limit the TDP of the CPU to 35W so you wouldn't necessarily need the E version and could use any Ryzen CPU/APU

Thanks Dan
Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Wed 28-Apr-21 12:22:55
Print Post

Well it certainly does the job for my connection.

Or at least it does now I know never to remove ether2 from bridge!

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/16196083178...

Goodbye Hyperoptic. Now VM200 frown
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Apr-21 21:43:22
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

The somewhat exotic multi-core Mikrotik CCR routers have multiple encryption modules shared between multiple cores AFAIR. So I think you may still get fast, but limited, VPN performance when a shared CCR encryption module is maxed out. The RB4011 may well outperform a nominally more powerful CCR(in VPN use) when both use a single encryption module.
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Apr-21 21:50:26
Print Post

There are multiple ways to administer it, I use Winbox for what it's worth(don't forget to backup your working configs). smile
Standard User chriscdotcodotuk
(regular) Wed 28-Apr-21 21:52:40
Print Post

I wondered if my Edgerouter Lite would be able to cope with my connection so set it up today to give it a blast and sure enough the little guy is quite happy with the BT Fiber 900/100 connection acting as a PPPoE controller.

I even load balanced it with a 4G connection from Three so I could see a 986mb download speed and a healthy 178mb upload speed.

The CPU wasn't maxed out either which I was quite impressed with but the single gigabit link to the main switch was pretty much leaking 1's and 0's onto the attic floor. Total saturation!

I turned off the 4G connection as it was pointless and I don't have QOS not because it's not something I require.

Personally I use a VPN on one machine and as it is software based it is quite happy at 5-600mb down and happy to use most of the upload but I don't have a need to use a VPN on the actual wider network.

All in all I'm happy I've got to remove the BT super hub from my network. Just a shame the ONT's dont have native POE otherwise it'd be POEPPPoE (I've got injectors so technically I do have that)

https://www.speedtest.net/result/d/dd302aff-dae4-4e9...

BT Fiber - 920 down, 100 up.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to