General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ft247
(regular) Thu 29-Apr-21 18:46:20
Print Post

Re: BT FTTP 900 randomly stopped and stuck in limbo

[re: Epthree] [link to this post]

Did anyone replace the ONT at any point, or could they have without you noticing?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Apr-21 18:52:01
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

But the OP describes the ONT having a solid PON, so it’s registered with the head end ....

Needs the Openreach bod to attend and do a co-op call to the DCoE. Some remote issue I suspect

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Apr-21 19:56:04
Print Post

Plugging my laptop into the ONT directly now using the ethernet cable.

Which is what I awkwardly trying to describe earlier.

It’s either the build at Openreach’s end OR beyond at BT’s.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 29-Apr-21 21:25:58
Print Post

If it is so critical for work then why do you not have the Enhanced Support package available to business users?

You can even upgrade to 4hr fix times if required.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Thu 29-Apr-21 21:46:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If it is so critical for work then why do you not have the Enhanced Support package available to business users?

You see, in a normal world where remote work is optional for some and often a permanent choice this may certainly be the case where the business foots the bill. But in this wacky, COVID-19 nightmare some businesses are not willing to shed anymore cash out for these types of things beyond desks / chairs.

As an MD myself, all our staff who are WFH at the moment are given a 3 Mobile Wifi Router which comes off their company phone data allowance if their internet went down, and that only costs us a few £x per employee per month.

Edited by Whitehall11 (Thu 29-Apr-21 21:47:26)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 29-Apr-21 21:53:51
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Whitehall11:
In reply to a post by MHC:

You see, in a normal world where remote work is optional for some and often a permanent choice this may certainly be the case where the business foots the bill. But in this wacky, COVID-19 nightmare some businesses are not willing to shed anymore cash out for these types of things beyond desks / chairs.

As an MD myself, all our staff who are WFH at the moment are given a 3 Mobile Wifi Router which comes off their company phone data allowance if their internet went down, and that only costs us a few £x per employee per month.

Exactly, you have put provision in place at a low cost. And for some who claims "essential software support for the NHS", the OP should have taken responsibility to ensure the product was suitable rather than the cheaper consumer grade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Epthree
(newbie) Thu 29-Apr-21 23:04:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

@FT247 - Nobody has replaced the ONT, although this is BTs instruction to Openreach tomorrow AFAIK.

@Zarjas - I'll certainly keep you posted, Openreach confirmed yesterday that the build was redone, so I'm still thinking this is going to get stuck on BTs side.

@MHC - While I appreciate what your saying about a backup option, mobile data is the only sensible option that is really 1) affordable and 2) worthwhile while I am being forced to work from home and not based here permanently. Unfortunately, it just doesn't cut it when the systems I am accessing require me to jump through lots of hoops anyway (at minimum 1 VPN to the office, then 1 RDP session to a jump box in the N3 network, then too other servers and occasionally even users desktops inbetween them being accessed by clinical staff.) - please just try and imagine the latency.

We deliberately left our Virgin Media connection running parallel to allow us to test this before it was switched off to prevent this situation and it was absoloutely fine. It randomly going off with no answers, Openreach engineers saying they have no idea and not turning up when promised, BT call center staff failing to call back when they promise and giving me the run around just isn't good enough.

Regardless of what my employer could or should have done they haven't and there's nothing I can do about that. Unfortunately I personally can't afford a business line in my house and I wasn't even aware the upgraded support was a thing, although I'm sure also way too expensive for me.

I would politely ask that if you have nothing to add to my post that will help me get online then you please don't add anything else to it. I am simply here in a desperate situation that is slightly unusual looking for troubleshooting advice or advice I can use when communicating with BT to get this resolved because I don't know what to do, and neither do Openreach or BT by what there engineers and support agents are saying.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 30-Apr-21 07:04:19
Print Post

Replacement ONT should see you good.

Surprised it has taken BT this long to extract the digit. I had an ONT fault on my service. It was a crippled port issue (long back story); the service was still working, so not a complete outage, but degraded / capped at 100M. The issue was reported around 4pm. Openreach replaced it before 10am the next day.

That was Cerberus rather than BT and technically a business service with SLA though.

Hopefully they sort your service today. Good luck!
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Fri 30-Apr-21 10:59:04
Print Post

I hope all goes well, today! Fingers crossed!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Apr-21 17:48:54
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Replacement ONT should see you good.

I’m not so sure .....

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to