General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Epthree
(newbie) Thu 29-Apr-21 16:14:30
Print Post

BT FTTP 900 randomly stopped and stuck in limbo

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,

I'm really not sure what to do and need advice.

I had BT fiber installed in early February (the 900 package) and despite a few hiccups on the day it worked absolutely spot on until Tuesday around 12 PM when it died altogether.

I noticed the PON light was flashing on the ONT and BT sent Openreach engineers out the following day (28th) to investigate.

The Openreach engineer came in with his wire cutters and a spare fiber line as they assumed that the cable had broken, however this wasn't the case, and he had to go away and come back with another colleague to run further tests as he wasn't qualified with fiber.

They came back and fixed the PON light which is now a solid green later in the day but the internet still wasn't working and they instructed me to call BT.

I called BT who said that it is an Openreach issue as everything is ok there end and then they said an engineer will come out today (29th) to investigate but they never showed up.

I called BT back and they said they will send another Openreach engineer tomorrow (30th) which I am doubtful will do anything as the last engineer said that if the green PON light is on and the LOS isn't on then as far as they are concerned everything is fine.

Meanwhile I have had other calls with BT where they said their overnight fault team have checked and everything is ok from their end, they don't know what the problem is, and I am constantly going round in circles.

I have disabled family members that need their internet for smart home devices and I also work providing software / support to the NHS and can't afford to be without this connection.

I have spent over 8 hours on the phone and waited in for 2 days, and now I have to wait in for another day. And I'm getting nowhere.

Managers who promised to call back aren't bothering, Openreach are radio silent and nobody knows what's going on.
Standard User candlerb
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Apr-21 16:21:30
Print Post

Re: BT FTTP 900 randomly stopped and stuck in limbo

[re: Epthree] [link to this post]

You should be getting compensation from BT for every day that it's down. I thought BT sent out 4G routers in this situation to provide backup service? Maybe it's only for "Halo" customers.

In any case, phone them daily to kick up a fuss about how long you've been out of service. Raising it on BT's twitter feed won't harm either.

Note: don't raise it on Openreach's twitter feed. It's not Openreach's fault, it's BT's fault. That is: even if the problem were on Openreach's network, it is entirely BT's responsibility to resolve it with Openreach on your behalf. And if BT are wrongly dispatching Openreach engineers, that's their fault too.
Standard User Epthree
(newbie) Thu 29-Apr-21 16:22:50
Print Post

[re: candlerb] [link to this post]

BT have marked the initial case as "customer reported as resolved" and then opened a new ticket for the same issue to stop us from getting the compensation automatically. They are crooks.

Nobody has mentioned anything about them sending out a 4G backup.

I'm at my wits end with the whole thing.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Apr-21 16:44:08
Print Post

What lights is the router showing ? Steady blue ?
Do you have another router to try ? If not, could you make a direct connection to the ONT from a laptop ?

Standard User Epthree
(newbie) Thu 29-Apr-21 16:51:50
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hey Zarjaz,

Believe it or not, I never used the BT router in the first place.

The day it was installed, it didn't work with their hub, I tried mine while the Openreach engineer was sat in his van and it all started working.

I am unable to make a direct connection to the ONT with a laptop as I don't have a fibre port, unfortunately.
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Thu 29-Apr-21 16:56:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Epthree:
Hey Zarjaz,

Believe it or not, I never used the BT router in the first place.

The day it was installed, it didn't work with their hub, I tried mine while the Openreach engineer was sat in his van and it all started working.

I am unable to make a direct connection to the ONT with a laptop as I don't have a fibre port, unfortunately.

Do you mean you don't have an ethernet socket on your laptop? Do you have any device in your home (Old laptop / desktop PC) that you could run an ethernet to / from the ONT?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Apr-21 17:11:39
Print Post

So what does your router show ? No PPP ?

Could you set your router to try [email protected] (no password required)
What result does that give ?

Standard User Epthree
(newbie) Thu 29-Apr-21 17:18:18
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

Sorry guys, I was on the phone with a manager at BT while you posted and I realized I was being stupid.

Plugging my laptop into the ONT directly now using the ethernet cable.

The light on the BT hub is solid orange by the way.
Standard User Epthree
(newbie) Thu 29-Apr-21 17:24:36
Print Post

The router shows no internet connection.

(Broadband Connection Disconnected)

Both BT and my personal router.

Tried setting username to [email protected] from [email protected] and this didn't fix anything.

Neither did bypassing the router and going directly to the ONT.

BT say they can see my ONT from their side and nothing comes up with remote diagnostics.

Edited by Epthree (Thu 29-Apr-21 17:25:08)

Standard User Epthree
(newbie) Thu 29-Apr-21 17:35:28
Print Post

In both of the routers I have (my personal one and the BT one) they have repeated errors.

The BT one is constantly complaining about PPP and my router is saying

"Timeout waiting for PADO Packets"
"NTP Sync Failed"

The time and date of these errors are wrong on both of my routers. - Not sure if this is relevant.
Standard User ft247
(regular) Thu 29-Apr-21 18:46:20
Print Post

Did anyone replace the ONT at any point, or could they have without you noticing?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Apr-21 18:52:01
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

But the OP describes the ONT having a solid PON, so it’s registered with the head end ....

Needs the Openreach bod to attend and do a co-op call to the DCoE. Some remote issue I suspect

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Apr-21 19:56:04
Print Post

Plugging my laptop into the ONT directly now using the ethernet cable.

Which is what I awkwardly trying to describe earlier.

It’s either the build at Openreach’s end OR beyond at BT’s.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 29-Apr-21 21:25:58
Print Post

If it is so critical for work then why do you not have the Enhanced Support package available to business users?

You can even upgrade to 4hr fix times if required.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Whitehall11
(regular) Thu 29-Apr-21 21:46:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If it is so critical for work then why do you not have the Enhanced Support package available to business users?

You see, in a normal world where remote work is optional for some and often a permanent choice this may certainly be the case where the business foots the bill. But in this wacky, COVID-19 nightmare some businesses are not willing to shed anymore cash out for these types of things beyond desks / chairs.

As an MD myself, all our staff who are WFH at the moment are given a 3 Mobile Wifi Router which comes off their company phone data allowance if their internet went down, and that only costs us a few £x per employee per month.

Edited by Whitehall11 (Thu 29-Apr-21 21:47:26)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 29-Apr-21 21:53:51
Print Post

[re: Whitehall11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Whitehall11:
In reply to a post by MHC:

You see, in a normal world where remote work is optional for some and often a permanent choice this may certainly be the case where the business foots the bill. But in this wacky, COVID-19 nightmare some businesses are not willing to shed anymore cash out for these types of things beyond desks / chairs.

As an MD myself, all our staff who are WFH at the moment are given a 3 Mobile Wifi Router which comes off their company phone data allowance if their internet went down, and that only costs us a few £x per employee per month.

Exactly, you have put provision in place at a low cost. And for some who claims "essential software support for the NHS", the OP should have taken responsibility to ensure the product was suitable rather than the cheaper consumer grade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Epthree
(newbie) Thu 29-Apr-21 23:04:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

@FT247 - Nobody has replaced the ONT, although this is BTs instruction to Openreach tomorrow AFAIK.

@Zarjas - I'll certainly keep you posted, Openreach confirmed yesterday that the build was redone, so I'm still thinking this is going to get stuck on BTs side.

@MHC - While I appreciate what your saying about a backup option, mobile data is the only sensible option that is really 1) affordable and 2) worthwhile while I am being forced to work from home and not based here permanently. Unfortunately, it just doesn't cut it when the systems I am accessing require me to jump through lots of hoops anyway (at minimum 1 VPN to the office, then 1 RDP session to a jump box in the N3 network, then too other servers and occasionally even users desktops inbetween them being accessed by clinical staff.) - please just try and imagine the latency.

We deliberately left our Virgin Media connection running parallel to allow us to test this before it was switched off to prevent this situation and it was absoloutely fine. It randomly going off with no answers, Openreach engineers saying they have no idea and not turning up when promised, BT call center staff failing to call back when they promise and giving me the run around just isn't good enough.

Regardless of what my employer could or should have done they haven't and there's nothing I can do about that. Unfortunately I personally can't afford a business line in my house and I wasn't even aware the upgraded support was a thing, although I'm sure also way too expensive for me.

I would politely ask that if you have nothing to add to my post that will help me get online then you please don't add anything else to it. I am simply here in a desperate situation that is slightly unusual looking for troubleshooting advice or advice I can use when communicating with BT to get this resolved because I don't know what to do, and neither do Openreach or BT by what there engineers and support agents are saying.
Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 30-Apr-21 07:04:19
Print Post

Replacement ONT should see you good.

Surprised it has taken BT this long to extract the digit. I had an ONT fault on my service. It was a crippled port issue (long back story); the service was still working, so not a complete outage, but degraded / capped at 100M. The issue was reported around 4pm. Openreach replaced it before 10am the next day.

That was Cerberus rather than BT and technically a business service with SLA though.

Hopefully they sort your service today. Good luck!
Standard User Grimers
(regular) Fri 30-Apr-21 10:59:04
Print Post

I hope all goes well, today! Fingers crossed!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Apr-21 17:48:54
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

Replacement ONT should see you good.

I’m not so sure .....

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Fri 30-Apr-21 17:56:59
Print Post

No report. No news, good news (or bad..)?

Deeper PON or cabling fault? 🙃
Standard User ft247
(member) Fri 30-Apr-21 22:59:09
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

This is a wild guess, but there was no mention of LOS light so I wonder if the OP could have inadvertently been moved to a different OLT port that the records suggest (or the records changed/deleted without a port move). I don't know if an OLT will accept a valid ONT that happens to be on the wrong port.

The PON light presumably means that the OLT has accepted the ONT's identification and it is allowed to join the PON - could this have been fixed at the OLT level but when the record was messed with in the first place, the L2 path upstream of the OLT was also affected?
Standard User Epthree
(newbie) Sat 01-May-21 11:30:29
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

Hi All,

Sorry for not getting back to you, the good news is, it's finally working.

I was not in yesterday but Openreach came out and changed all of the cables, this didn't work, they didn't want to replace the ONT as they said it was tested fine and were about to leave again, but I left a checklist that included, ask them to phone DCOE following @Zarjas suggestion.

20 minutes later we were back online.

I'm so glad it's all back and running and thank you all for your comments.

BT managers gave us their backup 4G hub in case this happens again and some credit off our bill as this thread only covers half of the battle I've had to actually get this fixed.

Appreciate all your help!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-May-21 15:20:13
Print Post

but I left a checklist that included, ask them to phone DCOE following @Zarjas suggestion.

Glad to be of service

Standard User Pheasant
(experienced) Sat 01-May-21 15:27:25
Print Post

Glad it’s resolved for you.

Still bit of a mystery what exactly broke in the first instance and what the re-configuration issue (presumably) was. Anyhow the main thing is it’s working.
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-May-21 15:38:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Epthree:
I left a checklist that included, ask them to phone DCOE following @Zarjas suggestion.

You will need to raise a Fig Newton to Zarjaz!

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco ATA191 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to