General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jabuzzard
(experienced) Sun 02-May-21 21:55:21
Print Post

Re: help for leased line router

[re: smtpbin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smtpbin:
Anyway, I think my question is answered which was what do I need to have from my side, which seems to be an SFP capable router to plug into Access 3 SFP (and an SFP patch cable).

Except that you appear to be currently missing an SFP in the Adva for that to work. Which IMHO is little more than a wildly over the top media converter anyway.

In terms of what you need in the Ubiquiti line of things an EdgeRouter 6P is what you want for a 1Gbps connection. While the cheaper EdgerouterX SFP does take SFP's it can't route 1Gbps symmetrically. Well it's work you just won't be able to take full advantage of the connection.

If they are not going to provide an SFP, for Access3 then you could do one of two things, get an RJ45 SFP and use an ordinary patch lead or use a SFP+ direct attach cable to an SFP capable router (while they are technically for 10Gbps some testing (like on every 1Gbps SFP port I could lay my hands on, which is a lot) shows they just work at 1Gbps too.
Standard User Pheasant
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-May-21 10:14:57
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

OT; If the Dream Machine Pro is any indication of future direction, looks like UQ will drop the MIPS64 processor / 1 GB of ram combo in the EdgeRouter line at some point in favour of quad-core ARM Cortex-A57 processor @1.7 GHz in their new generations of routers.

Seems that is the direction of MikroTik are also going. Departing from the high CPU & core count Tilera architecture in their 1000-series routers and adopting the more dense but powerful ARM-8 based Annapurna Alpine AL32400 SoC, in the 2000-series; most recently in the new(ish) CCR2004 router.

Basically using the same ARM Cortex A57 processor family, as the Dream Machine Pro, but wrapping it inside an Annapurna SoC and running at the same clock rate.

Interestingly UQ have also adopted the Annapurna Alpine AL32400 in their forthcoming UniFi USW-Leaf 48-port 25GbE / 100GbE "switch for the masses"....not sure what masses (yet)!
Standard User smtpbin
(newbie) Mon 03-May-21 10:43:19
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

would you recommend the Dream Machine Pro on balance for a new install?

Edited by smtpbin (Mon 03-May-21 10:56:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ft247
(member) Mon 03-May-21 12:33:27
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pheasant:
Interestingly UQ have also adopted the Annapurna Alpine AL32400 in their forthcoming UniFi USW-Leaf 48-port 25GbE / 100GbE "switch for the masses"....not sure what masses (yet)!

OT... that switch is quite the move for a vendor I had firmly categorised in the 'small to medium business' market.
Standard User Pheasant
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-May-21 14:21:55
Print Post

It'll be fine on balance for what you want. Its goes well beyond the brief for a standard router, obviously, but base throughput/forwarding, IDS/IPS, and IPsec performance isn't shabby at all.

The biggest 'issue' I can think of with UQ is the stability of some of their firmware releases. Hello there all you UQ access point users!

There were some early doors reports of the DM-P being prone to "stalls" but that should be been resolved by now, it was over 12 months ago...

[Note I'm not a DM-P user, but I have a stack of their AP's of various flavours and vintages, so the corporates traits become apparent]

Edited by Pheasant (Mon 03-May-21 14:22:52)

Standard User Pheasant
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-May-21 14:26:24
Print Post

[re: ft247] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ft247:
In reply to a post by Pheasant:

OT... that switch is quite the move for a vendor I had firmly categorised in the 'small to medium business' market.

....if they ever manage to bring it fully to market, it could be a baby beast killer. I'm as confused as you as to the UQ strategic direction. I think they too might be themselves sometimes 😂
Standard User smtpbin
(newbie) Tue 04-May-21 16:57:54
Print Post

[re: Pheasant] [link to this post]

as it turns out, engineers 7 and 8 arrived today and 8 commissioned the Adva as 7 checked the fibre back to wherever its going. They were very pleasant and helpful and had it all completed in 4 hours.

I asked about the missing SFP but apparently I've got the very latest Adva which now supports 1Gbps on RJ45, so they didn't need to install one in the Access 3 socket. On to testing next once I have handover...
Standard User Pheasant
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-May-21 20:32:11
Print Post

as it turns out, engineers 7 and 8 arrived today and 8 commissioned the Adva as 7 checked the fibre back to wherever its going. They were very pleasant and helpful and had it all completed in 4 hours.

I asked about the missing SFP but apparently I've got the very latest Adva which now supports 1Gbps on RJ45, so they didn't need to install one in the Access 3 socket. On to testing next once I have handover...

Well that's a first - using the RJ45 for a new 1G/1G service - I have heard that it could be used for bearer upgrades where the copper port was previously being used to deliver say a 100M service - but never heard of them using it for a fresh new 1G service.

I keep asking - but who is your service provider?
Standard User burakkucat
(experienced) Tue 04-May-21 21:24:12
Print Post

I asked about the missing SFP but apparently I've got the very latest Adva which now supports 1Gbps on RJ45, so they didn't need to install one in the Access 3 socket.
After looking at the images, to which you provided links, I suspected that your 1 Gbps access would be provisioned via the metallic port.

Who is your service provider, please?
Standard User Pheasant
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-May-21 22:36:54
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
I asked about the missing SFP but apparently I've got the very latest Adva which now supports 1Gbps on RJ45, so they didn't need to install one in the Access 3 socket.
After looking at the images, to which you provided links, I suspected that your 1 Gbps access would be provisioned via the metallic port.

Who is your service provider, please?

Done a bit of digging and it would appear that the RJ45 port was added as a valid interface to the Openreach EAD spec from Rev 2.0 (May 2020) of the Supplier Information Note. See latest SIN v2.1 in force from November 2020.

My EAD service went live in March and although I was happy with the SFP interface, there are of course others that would like to use the copper port for 1G/1G services. But it wasn’t offered, to my knowledge, by my CP.

I do wonder who the service provider is of the OP, if they ever return 🤣
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to