User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 23-Mar-11 09:43:59
Print Post

Re: BT old wiring HALVES my Orange Broadband speed!

[re: shrimper1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shrimper1:
I've taken a pic of open back plate, and one of the inside of the plate cover showing the ring capacitor, and the two wires that are still connected. I'll display them on here when I find out how to. I also kept a note of what wires went where b4 disconnecting them, so will be easy to reconnect if I have to.
You have to put your pics on an image hosting site and post a link to them here

e.g. http://imageshack.us/

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Wed 23-Mar-11 10:28:18
Print Post

I see you used to have sky bb,
do you, or have you ever had a sky tv box?
Standard User shrimper1
(learned) Wed 23-Mar-11 11:26:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks, I'll give it a go today.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shrimper1
(learned) Wed 23-Mar-11 11:49:02
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
I see you used to have sky bb,
do you, or have you ever had a sky tv box?

Yes I did, but ended my contract a few years ago. So no SKY box connected. I have three old ones in our spare(junk) room if anyone's interested wink
However, I do have a relatively new HUMAX FoxSat HDR box connected to my tv; it's in a stack under my TV, along with a DVD/recorder and a multi-speaker HiFi system box. However, none of these are connected to the telephone wire (which does run pretty close to these audio/vid appliances.), when connecting to my router (that is directly wired to my computer). Also my son's laptop feeds off the router via wi-fi.
Standard User shrimper1
(learned) Wed 23-Mar-11 13:33:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I've taken a pic of open back plate, and one of the inside of the plate cover showing the ring capacitor, and the two wires that are still connected. I'll display them on here when I find out how to. I also kept a note of what wires went where b4 disconnecting them, so will be easy to reconnect if I have to.
You have to put your pics on an image hosting site and post a link to them here

e.g. http://imageshack.us/

3 fotos here ......... hope this works.

[IMG]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7579/sdc11274qn.t...[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1252/sdc11277q.th.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2135/sdc11273.th.jpg[/IMG]
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 23-Mar-11 13:41:16
Print Post

Bit small, and you dont need the [IMG] tags.

What colours are the 2 wires in pic 2?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Wed 23-Mar-11 14:18:47
Print Post

when you did have sky, where was it connected to the telephone wiring?
there may be some redundant wiring there too
Standard User burakkucat
(newbie) Wed 23-Mar-11 15:13:07
Print Post

The old black cat screws up his eyes and attempts to focus on the images . . .

Everything looks good -- the unconnected wires are tucked out of the way. As BatBoy has asked, please just confirm the colours of the connected wires in picture number two. I can see that it is the blue/white connected at the right. Is it white/blue or brown/white connected at the left?

It seems to me as if it is the older 4-core internal wiring -- green, blue, orange & brown (with white stripes) -- and we may need to see the connections at the other end, if you've made your modifications since the Openreach engineer's visit!

Edited by burakkucat (Wed 23-Mar-11 15:20:38)

Standard User shrimper1
(learned) Wed 23-Mar-11 23:42:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Bit small, and you dont need the [IMG] tags.

What colours are the 2 wires in pic 2?

as mentioned previously ..........
Some days ago, I disconnected all other wires, leaving the "white with some blue fleck" wire connected to #5; and the "blue with some white fleck" wire connected to #2. All the disconnected wires were bent back in the opposite direction to the faceplate, and folded back up the sleeve carrying all the wires, so that there would be no accidental contact with the faceplate, when screwed back up.

From my own gut feeling, and maybe some others on here ............
(a) I think I should reconnect all the wires I disconnected, as I had better upload/download speeds prior to disconnecting "bell" wires etc.
(b) Insist on a new router from Orange, as mine is 2 years old, and it's only a month or so that's elapsed since starting a new Orange contract in another family name.

Unless anyone else has any better advice. Thanks.

p.s. I thought the pics come up small on the recommended site, when on my camera's software they appear humungus!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Mar-11 01:04:11
Print Post

(a) I think I should reconnect all the wires I disconnected, as I had better upload/download speeds prior to disconnecting "bell" wires etc.
Ah, good, you've finally got my hint smile. You've got nothing to lose; at the very least it might eliminate something.

(b) Doubt new router will differ. Yours has been consistent within the same situations. I've been using same router for over 3 years and have only recently switched to a Netgear so as to tweak my NM; Netgear gives same stats as the Siemens.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to