User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zak_
(member) Thu 14-Apr-11 07:37:40
Print Post

Re: Orange Broadband Service Improvements

[re: Zak_] [link to this post]

Now migrated to Orange WBC and downstream rate reduced from 8053 kbps to 6758 kbps and Upstream reduced from: 1023 kbps to 888 kbps

Noise margin reduced from 11.4 to 9.3 and Attenuation reduced from 37 to 34

ADSL firmware version : A2pBT009c1.d17d
Connection mode : ADSL2
Type : Fast
Noise margin (dB) : 9.3
Attenuation (dB) : 34.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 6810
ADSL status : Connected [0]

Downstream Upstream
Rate (kbps) 6758 888

Also now connection mode ADSL2 ; previously ADSL2+

Hopefully the stats will improve within the next 12 days - I hope!

Edited by Zak_ (Thu 14-Apr-11 07:43:48)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Apr-11 10:14:22
Print Post

Hate to tell you this but tales of the ISP trying out slower then faster then slower in the first 10 or so days are just urban myth.

All that happens is this

1. Line connections, negotiates best speeds
2. If system thinks line is unstable they slow you down

At 34dB attenuation you should be on ADSL2+, so ISP may have opted to force an ADSL2 mode, you need first to try forcing ADSL2+ from your modem and if no change, then pester support. ADSL2 to ADSL2+ at 34dB attenuation is lossing you 3 or 4Megs.

NOTE: Your attenuation has not really changes, under ADSL(2) 34dB is right and normal to see it rise by 3dB when switching to ADSL2+ (due to extra frequencies being included in the calculation)

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zak_
(member) Thu 14-Apr-11 17:45:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron for your advice.

I have now emailed Orange requesting they put me on ADSL2+.

Orange state on my account that I can achieve an average of 6Mbps if I change package.

At present I am getting 5.5 Mbps on the Thinkbroadband speed test. On LLU it was 6.5Mbps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Apr-11 18:07:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zak_:
I have now emailed Orange requesting they put me on ADSL2+.
Can't you just force ADSL2+ in your router? The Orange Siemens router certainly can.

You line is capable of Syncing at 10-11 Meg on ADSL2+.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 14-Apr-11 18:08:42)

Standard User Zak_
(member) Thu 14-Apr-11 18:31:19
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I have the old Livebox and had a look in the config and cannot find anything to allow me to force to ADSL2+

Edited by Zak_ (Thu 14-Apr-11 18:39:47)

Standard User smurf46
(regular) Thu 14-Apr-11 19:40:14
Print Post

A few things about the old Livebox: you can't change the ADSL setting from the router configs (or telnet the router); the figures (even error nos) reported by the router don't change whilst it is connected - they are set on connection and only revised on a reboot or reconnnection, and from my experience the ADSL2/2+ setting and Interleave/Fast reporting is sometimes wrong.

That being said have you tried rebooting the router: I found the reported speeds increased and the ADSL2 changed back to 2+, when I did so following the WBC transfer on my line. Only by several hundred kbps though. Perhaps give the router 10 minutes off to enable the line settings to clear properly (a reboot i.e. disconnect/connect by switching off the power NOT a factory reset!). Shouldn't affect the DLM on a single or once a day reboot.

Edited by smurf46 (Thu 14-Apr-11 19:47:08)

Standard User Zak_
(member) Thu 14-Apr-11 21:29:51
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Rebooted as suggested - thanks.

Still on ADSL2 but downstream readings have increased to 7170 and upstream remains at 888.

Attainable download rate (kbps) : 7205 increased.
Standard User aramsay
(member) Fri 15-Apr-11 21:06:42
Print Post

This is quite interesting, as only in the last few days SamKnows for Dawley Exchange has just shown up as having Orange LLU (previously only LLU at this exchange was TalkTalk (CPW).

Seems strange that they would just LLU an exchange when they're moving people of LLU.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Apr-11 09:48:21
Print Post

[re: aramsay] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aramsay:
This is quite interesting, as only in the last few days SamKnows for Dawley Exchange has just shown up as having Orange LLU (previously only LLU at this exchange was TalkTalk (CPW).

Seems strange that they would just LLU an exchange when they're moving people of LLU.
Hi, I would take SamKnows with a pinch of salt, they have probably got it all wrong.
My exchange Knowle was Orange LLU January 2010, I had been waiting and watching for over a year for it to go live, so I could go on Orange LLU, which I did in June 2010. smile

Previously my exchange was Market 2, but with Orange LLU 2010, it changed to Market 3. smirk

January 2011, I looked at SamKnows and see the date had changed for Orange LLU to 10/09/2008 now I know this to be wrong, as I had been waiting for Orange to be LLU. I email Samknows, point this out, they email me back, and say the date is correct. crazy

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to