User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User smurf46
(regular) Sun 10-Apr-11 14:09:52
Print Post

Re: Orange Broadband Service Improvements

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Just out of interest E7er, do you find Speedtest.net gives a fair representation of download speeds. I ask because I'm taking a bit of an interest being transferred from Orange LLU to Orange WBC (see above). On a sync speed (download) of 5198, all of TB's own TBBmeter (graphing, auto and manual speedtests), the BT checker I can now use, and speed.io are all consistent at 3375, but speedtest.net gives a consistent but in my view ridiculous 57xx. All of them are however consistent on the upload (which is close to the speed reported by the router).

I'm aware of the point that speedtest shows highest speeds, the others are perhaps an average but surely so does real time TBB graphing? And speed.io seems also to report the highest speed and I think also uses Ookla).

I'm a bit concerned that on their new WBC service Orange may have adopted a maximum rate lower than the BT profile at least for my line (4000/4500); but before on Orange LLU I agree that it was very stable/consistent; and tests were usually around 500-700kbps below the reported router sync speed (except speedtest.net consistently higher - so I suppose cynically I can understand why it's often quoted for making a point!!).

Edited by smurf46 (Sun 10-Apr-11 14:14:56)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-11 00:00:50
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smurf46:
Orange may have adopted a maximum rate lower than the BT profile at least for my line (4000/4500
What "max rate" are you talking about? If actual throughput, that is always less then IP Profle.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-11 00:09:26
Print Post

[re: Zak_] [link to this post]

Just got a fright frown

My LCP/CHAP Authentication to Orange just went down, whilst still Synced, for 30 mins. That hasn't happened before for ages. Was afraid I was being humped to BT WBC, altho' I have never received any notification.

However, it came back still LLU'd at unchanged speed smile

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smurf46
(regular) Mon 11-Apr-11 08:05:17
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The BT speed checker shows the sync rate (same as router) = 5198, the IP profile 4500 (expected) then a lower "maximum attainable rate" of 4000 (which I did not expect), and the throughput is several hundred kbps lower (as expected for overheads) at 3375. The notes to the checker are not particularly clear but suggest the "max attainable rate" can be something set by the ISP. I'm getting paranoid and wondered if Orange were up to a trick; all of course in the best possible interests of reducing costs by lowering customer expectations!

It's academic as the speed is better than it was immediately before on LLU, and ADSL is only a "spare" broadband to the massively superior fixed wireless in this location! Ah well, back to more productive business work for the week than playing with the home ADSL.

My LCP/CHAP authentication used to reset weekly on Orange for 4 years, a 30sec job and not a problem save when it didn't come back up for several hours every 4 months or so for the last couple of years! (After I learnt the virtue of patience 'cause if I rebooted the router it then couldn't connect to the exchange DSLAM until Orange sent an engineer out in the pre-BT days after up to a fortnight, due to their schedule, to reset manually). I wonder though if, for the time being at least, only those on old up to 8Meg packages are being transferred: it'd make sense since we've no grounds for complaint: no risk of service change unlike other customers with up to 20Meg services on 20CN exchanges?

Edited by smurf46 (Mon 11-Apr-11 08:30:05)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-11 13:50:30
Print Post

then a lower "maximum attainable rate" of 4000 (which I did not expect),
Ummm! Do you mean the max end of the range "For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is"? That is unusual! I've always seen it at least as high as the IP Profile, throughout TBB forums..

Standard User smurf46
(regular) Mon 11-Apr-11 16:03:12
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

There were two separate lines in the BT test result:
1. an additional line rate which shows "Maximum Achievable Speed is 4000 kbps", which as you say I've not seen on any other quoted result, and more importantly is less than the test results stated BT profile which was 4500
2. the acceptable range which was between 1200 and 4000.

Whilst I haven't been back to the BT checker, this afternoon I've swoped back to the Livebox router (as it gives me free calls on the Orange second line). This has a poor reporting facility but gives me a connection rate of 5307/888, and a quick speed test on speed.io before I go out again is showing 4379 down 741 up, which is more like what I expect for my line and I Meg better than it and the BT and this sites tester were showing yesterday (and more than the quoted MAR happily as 4Mbps is a sort of threshold for usable video and to use the VOIP as well as the PC).

UPDATE done another BT test which shows the same connection rates and 3863 download and still the 4000 maximum rate. On reflection this might relate to a bit of capping specifically on my line by a pre-BT Orange contracted engineer, when I first lost connection to the Orange LLU DSLAM as he apparently said he couldn't find any other way to restore the connection (although as usual I couldn't get much sense from Orange CS), rather than a general practice as I feared.

Edited by smurf46 (Mon 11-Apr-11 16:29:53)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Apr-11 21:05:37
Print Post

Given ADSL does no compression if synced at 5198 then you cannot have a speedtest of 57xx, it should be around 4600Kbps at best.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-11 22:40:23
Print Post

This has a poor reporting facility but gives me a connection rate of 5307/888, and a quick speed test on speed.io before I go out again is showing 4379 down 741 up, which is more like what I expect for my line
That seems about the right throughput (82.5%) for your Sync.

I would not place too much store in the BT Speedtest on WBC lines. There are reports that
21CN (WBC) it is often garbage, or at least the IP Profile reported is. Though the frequency of stupid readings seems to have decreased.

I think it more likely the the problem is the WBC DLM rather than the speed tester itself, as that is still very flaky.

Standard User silverfoxxxx
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-11 09:47:02
Print Post

[re: Zak_] [link to this post]

Hi,
Just had my 'improvement' competed last night, my download sync has increased from 15267 to 15452, actual speed test is a good 2 meg slower though for this time of day, I've been running a few tests leading up to the change over.

My main problem is the reduced upload speed, I've lost 1/2 a meg upload I was getting nearly 1100 up now I'm down to 600, is this the max they offer on a bt line?, as the main reason I went with orange was the upload speed.
Standard User smurf46
(regular) Wed 13-Apr-11 14:43:47
Print Post

[re: silverfoxxxx] [link to this post]

My sync upload speed rose to 1112kbps after a few (3) days on WBC, compared to a maximum 645 on Orange LLU previously. The speedtest measured upload rate is close to the sync. I'm on a 21CN exchange.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to