User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Sun 10-Apr-11 11:59:47
Print Post

Re: netgear problem

[re: nellynell] [link to this post]

Last week the router packed in and stopped working. So a quick call to orange and and some kind soul agreed to send me out a new router and he did explain we no longer have the siemens router so we will send you a netgear one.

what was the fault with the old router?
if it just stopped connecting to dsl, then the fault may not be the original router.
Standard User nellynell
(newbie) Sun 10-Apr-11 12:02:19
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:

what was the fault with the old router?
if it just stopped connecting to dsl, then the fault may not be the original router.

It lost all power not even the power light was coming on anymore i think something got friend inside as there was a faint burning smell but i tried a friends router as stated in my previous post and that connects so it cant be the dsl
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-11 19:02:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by nellynell:
Thanks for your input E7er

right il give this another try soon as i get home im at work at the moment. Its strange how the router behaves as the dsl and internet lights both come on when i turn the router on but they both go off within 10 seconds and then im just left with the power light and wifi light on.

Orange have logged my fault and say they are doing a line test. Why they need to do that i don't know like i said soon as i plug my mates router in it starts working
Hi nellynell, that Orange Netgear DGN1000 router you have is defective, I carried out a test:

I reset my Netgear DGN1000 router to Factory Default with a part straightened paper clip. Switched off power to the router and when switched back on, I get no connection to the Internet and four LED lights-up-on the router.

1. Power LED is green on
2. LAN port (1) connected LED is green on.
3. ADSL LED is green on.
4. WiFi LED is green on.

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nellynell
(newbie) Mon 11-Apr-11 19:38:24
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
In reply to a post by nellynell:
Hi nellynell, that Orange Netgear DGN1000 router you have is defective, I carried out a test:

I reset my Netgear DGN1000 router to Factory Default with a part straightened paper clip. Switched off power to the router and when switched back on, I get no connection to the Internet and four LED lights-up-on the router.

1. Power LED is green on
2. LAN port (1) connected LED is green on.
3. ADSL LED is green on.
4. WiFi LED is green on.

thanks for the test i will give orange a call see if i can get them to send me another router
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Apr-11 21:10:18
Print Post

ADSL should sync almost no matter what settings you give most routers.

The layer that is usually the problem is authentication, which on netgears is usually a different light, and certainly shows up in the router interface/logs.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nellynell
(newbie) Mon 11-Apr-11 21:19:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

The layer that is usually the problem is authentication, which on netgears is usually a different light, and certainly shows up in the router interface/logs.

Thats the problem is does not sync at all . Only when power comes on it comes on for maybe 2 seconds with the light thats next to it and they they both go out and thats exactly as they remain no matter what i try.

Just been on the phone to orange who say they are waiting for a engineers report i personally think im being passed around here. Even explained if there is a fault with my line why do the siemens and the belkin router that i have tested work?

Oh well if and when this is all sorted i will be getting in touch with the relevant governing body and making an official complaint
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-11 22:36:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

Hi MrSaffron, I forgot to mention with the router set to Factory Default the Internet LED is off completely and does not show at all.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-11 23:07:16
Print Post

I forgot to mention with the router set to Factory Default the Internet LED is off completely and does not show at all.
Yes, that's because:

ADSL LED ON => Syced OK with exchange (as MrSaffron stated).
Internet LD OFF => Failed CHAP Authentication with ISP (as expected as login details unset/wrong).

I don't have that distinction with my Netgear DG834GT as it has only 1 LED, the Internet LED, to cover both events. frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 11-Apr-11 23:09:38)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-11 23:55:50
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I forgot to mention with the router set to Factory Default the Internet LED is off completely and does not show at all.
Yes, that's because:

ADSL LED ON => Syced OK with exchange (as MrSaffron stated).
Internet LD OFF => Failed CHAP Authentication with ISP (as expected as login details unset/wrong).

I don't have that distinction with my Netgear DG834GT as it has only 1 LED, the Internet LED, to cover both events. frown
Hi XRaySpeX, so with only two LEDís showing it seems to indicate the router that nelly has, is duff. frown

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Apr-11 09:58:08
Print Post

If the exact same leads were used with another router and that worked, yes the router appears to be duff

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to