User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Oct-14 18:58:13
Print Post

Re: Orange line drops intermittently

[re: EvoluZion3] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by EvoluZion3:
Line Attenuation Down : 29.0
In the OP this was 55. I know it's long ago but have you moved house since?

With that line you should be getting 16 Meg sync.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User EvoluZion3
(newbie) Thu 16-Oct-14 20:02:19
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by EvoluZion3:
Line Attenuation Down : 29.0
In the OP this was 55. I know it's long ago but have you moved house since?

With that line you should be getting 16 Meg sync.

I have no idea what that stat means, but on this line I've been getting a relatively solid 8.4Mbps for over 3 or 4 years or so (apart from over the last few days where it's halved!). EE's speed checker reckon I should be able to get 14Mbps. No house move. I have no idea what's wrong with my line.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Oct-14 22:51:28
Print Post

That stat effectively measures your line length.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User EvoluZion3
(newbie) Sat 18-Oct-14 09:29:26
Print Post

Thanks XRay - I did effectively halve the length of cable between filter and router when I purchased the new RJ11 and rerouted it inside the house instead of outside. Maybe that explains it.

Ok so unfortunately I missed a call yesterday from BT who then texted me to say they'd call me today. My D/L speed is still around 2.7Mbps.

EDIT: a mate brought a spare landline around just now and thankfully (!) the noise is exactly the same. The house is barely 70m from the green box down the road and 30m from the pole so hopefully this'll be an easy fix. (famous last words)

EDIT: ok just been on the phone with BT, they asked the usual questions and the guy could hear the crackling at his end. Warned me that I'd have to pay £129.99 if the fault is in my perimeter, then got his supervisor on the line to tell me the same thing, then put the other chap back on. Engineer booked for Friday pm.

Edited by EvoluZion3 (Sat 18-Oct-14 13:04:50)

Standard User EvoluZion3
(newbie) Fri 24-Oct-14 18:02:46
Print Post

Ok great news, the BT engineer visited today, climbed up the telegraph pole near the house and said that the end of the telephone line to my house almost disintegrated in his hands it was that rusty! He cut the end off and rewired it, did some checks at the master socket and gave it the all clear. The line is now crystal clear!

Great news as I say but my D/L speed is still very low (1.94mbps just now). I understand that it might take 2 or 3 days for the speed to stabilise itself out? I normally switch my router off every day. The engineer said that if it doesn't speed up within a couple of days I'd have to ring my broadband provider and ask them to reset the switch (or something?). Does this all sound ok?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Oct-14 18:40:14
Print Post

And the connection stats are?

These are always the starting point for slow speed reports.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User EvoluZion3
(newbie) Fri 24-Oct-14 18:46:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
And the connection stats are?

These are always the starting point for slow speed reports.

ok here they are:
Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 170436
Lan Rx : 118847
ADSL Tx : 117090
ADSL Rx : 165743
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 0
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 0
HEC Down : 0
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 8.8
SNR Down : 28.8
Line Attenuation Up : 12.3
Line Attenuation Down : 27.0
Data Rate Up : 972
Data Rate Down : 2272
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Oct-14 19:51:44
Print Post

You should be syncing at about 17 Meg. The reason you are not is that EE has put you on a banded profile, the 4th lowest of these Banded Profiles, altho' you now have no significant errors. You need to call them to remove any banding.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 24-Oct-14 19:55:15)

Standard User EvoluZion3
(newbie) Fri 24-Oct-14 21:12:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You should be syncing at about 17 Meg. The reason you are not is that EE has put you on a banded profile, the 4th lowest of these Banded Profiles, altho' you now have no significant errors. You need to call them to remove any banding.

Thanks XRay.
For me that sounds like a good speed - the most I've ever got is 8.5mbps so I'll be over the moon with anything near that!
I've just got off an hour-long call to EE tech support (offshore). The first guy did about 3 'line tests' and then put me through to another team, the conversation with which went kind of like this (and apologies for the cynicism):

Me: explained the simple situation that my line had been faulty for a number of months, has now been fixed, and I'm still getting 2mbps so can they look at my settings.
Her: "ok hold the line" - 2 minutes pass - "You're having a problem with your line?"
Me: "No" - explained again
Her: "ok let me do a line test, please don't hang up" - 3 minute pause - "ok hold on" - another 3 minute pause - "ok don't hold up" - 3 minute pause - "ok we're just waiting for the results" - 5 minute pause - "ok the line test has come back clear, hold the line please" - 2 minute pause - "you reported you're having slow speeds, are you having drop-outs?"
Me: "I was having regular drop-outs before the line was fixed this afternoon, but now the line is clear and my b/b hasn't dropped out at all so far"
Her: "ok hold on" - 2 minute pause - "I'm just running a broadband check" - 1 minute pause - "don't make or receive any telephone calls" - 5 minute pause - "ok please don't hang up" - 3 minute pause...
...you get the idea...
I'm sure between the pair of them they did about 6 ""line tests"". Anyway at the end she told me to leave the router switched on for 24 hours and they'd call me back Sunday morning. Let's see...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Oct-14 21:37:35
Print Post

Didn't you mention the bandied profile?

Don't expect a call on Sun. They never call back.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 24-Oct-14 21:52:48)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to