User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User timpent
(learned) Tue 04-Dec-12 10:21:42
Print Post

Re: Was connecting at 19-20Mbps download, now only 9722Kbps

[re: timpent] [link to this post]

Well, I spoke to a very helpful person this morning and she removed the banded profile so we're now in the ten day stabilisation period again. Can't check the speeds until I'm home later but fingers crossed...

I might yet be calling in my chocolate biscuit Andrew wink
Standard User leexgx
(member) Tue 04-Dec-12 11:15:50
Print Post

last time i talked to orange they seem to have same access now as sky and plusnet (not called them up yet to reset an line profile so unknown at the moment), they should be able to set the noise level to 7-3 if your line is very clean (as long as you talk to an English person do not think the first level support can do it)

do check the router when you get back if its not any higher or lower then before, restart the modem as you end up getting locked at the same speeds again

the weather has been bad so it could of affected the line as well

problem with been on Providers that lock to the most stable speed once your on the lower one they never reset it unless you ring them up (sky do this as well but they have Direct access norm its an 5-10 min call in most cases and will set the line to the best speed as your on the phone/moved onto mobile phone, unless there is an line fault)

Standard User timpent
(learned) Tue 04-Dec-12 18:57:15
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

I rebooted when I got home as actual speeds were slow (and still are actually), but this is what we're connecting at now:

Upstream 1124 (Kbps.)
Downstream 18605 (Kbps.)
Noise Margin 6.1 dB 6.1 dB
Line Attenuation 11.6 dB 19.5 dB

So much better in theory.

However the actual speeds we're getting are nothing like that - eg:

Speed Down 6064.15 Kbps ( 5.9 Mbps )
Speed Up 863.36 Kbps ( 0.8 Mbps )

Speed Down 5078.86 Kbps ( 5 Mbps )
Speed Up 845.75 Kbps ( 0.8 Mbps )

Any ideas why that would be or should I just be patient?

Thanks

Tim

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Dec-12 19:01:28
Print Post

Check www.speedtest.bt.com to see what the IP Profile is running at

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Dec-12 19:10:27
Print Post

Nearly there! smile Just need the IP Profile to recover to 16.4 Meg from the 8.8 Meg it was being held at for ages.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User timpent
(learned) Tue 04-Dec-12 19:55:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Nearly there! smile Just need the IP Profile to recover to 16.4 Meg from the 8.8 Meg it was being held at for ages.

Yep, the IP profile on www.speedtester.bt.net says the downstream IP profile is 16.42Mbps, and the upstream 0.83Mbps.

So we're back to where we were for downstream, just need upstream to improve now as we were getting twice that...

Thanks all

Tim
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Dec-12 20:02:45
Print Post

Only way you were getting 2x0.83 Mbps for the upstream is if you were on Annex M. Which as far as I am aware Orange don't offer

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User timpent
(learned) Tue 04-Dec-12 20:11:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Only way you were getting 2x0.83 Mbps for the upstream is if you were on Annex M. Which as far as I am aware Orange don't offer

Hmm... Odd, check the screenshot here.

Tim
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Dec-12 21:02:48
Print Post

Good! That's what IPP should be now.

But what did the BT speedtester say your throughputs were? Best to copy and paste the text bits.

You would never have got 1.6 Meg Up on Orange. You need Annex M for that and Orange have (EDIT: ) never offered Annex M. Those speedtest.net up speeds must have been mis-measured. Did you ever see the up sync as measured by router at that time?

No. you are getting the expected 1.1 - 1.3 Meg up sync on Fast Path (would be 888K on Interleaved).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 04-Dec-12 21:53:09)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Dec-12 21:46:56
Print Post

And the modem was connected at what speed during those tests?

I happen to know that iOS upload speed tests can be wrong if not coded right, if you can show me a screen shot of the router sync at 2.2Mbps which is what you need to get a result of 1.95 Mbps I will believe you. For now I don't believe ookla

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to