User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 00:18:03
Print Post

Re: High Latency when trying to play games EE

[re: BorgMaster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BorgMaster:
the latency should be between 0-10ms max,
That's far too wide a range. I'd expect it to be < 1 ms. If it's higher than 1 ms then there's a problem.

BTW: OP is already using Ethernet.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 01:08:26
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I am using an ethernet power adapter as i am in the attic of the house and only have 1 phone socket but it has been working fine before. Maybe thats why my latency is slightly higher?

It is also not just me and my computer that are having problems in the house. Its my flatmates as well.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Feb-13 02:57:12
Print Post

[re: thatginner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thatginner:
I am using an Ethernet power adaptor

And that could well be the root cause of your connection problems

If you can plug your router into the test jack which is behind the lower part of the faceplate on the BT master socket (the socket that your line runs into from outside) and see what sync you get and what your latency is like,

Online games and power line adaptors /wireless are not a good mix, A Cat 5 or 6 Ethernet cable is the only way for trouble free online gaming, If your connection still disconnects when plugged into the test jack (via adsl filter ) then this could be a line fault, also what product are you paying for, upto 20mbits (adsl2+) ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 03:19:00
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
I am using an Ethernet power adaptor
And that could well be the root cause of your connection problems
Agreed - these adaptors (Homeplugs) are a fundamentally bad technology, injecting radio frequency signals onto cabling that was never designed to take it.

Two recent threads on these abominations can be found here and here.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 05:28:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
what product are you paying for, upto 20mbits (adsl2+)?
Well, he getting it, isn't he?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 12:59:53
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Yeah i have heard of problems with these adapters and looked at how they work and why they are clever but not actually a great idea in terms of stability.

However i have had 4 weeks of it working perfectly no problems with ping.
I thought it could have been the adapter untill i plugged my laptop with an ethernet straight to the router and tested its ping. Just as bad. I also let the laptop settle and unplugged the adapters before testing the ping.
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 13:05:21
Print Post

i am paying for adsl2+ but i know that i can only get upto 8Mb/s on my line.

Unfortunatly the only phone socket in the house is not the one with a test socket.
Apparently according to BT it is not a requirements for homes to have them.

I have tried with my laptop and a cat5 ethernet cable plugged straight to the router and removed the adapters still to no avail. The ping was exactly the same.

We have had really erractic internet and i'm pretty sure that its not a hardware issue but a line issue.

Really appreciating the suggestions though!!!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 13:13:51
Print Post

i know that i can only get upto 8Mb/s on my line.
You could be getting 9 Meg.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 13:23:08
Print Post

I would run your diagnostics with the router connected to the test socket in the NTE5 (unscrew the faceplate and remove it temporarily) and with the computer connected using an Ethernet cable. This rules out a great deal of variables that are not your ISPs responsibility.

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 14:04:52
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Unfortunaly i cant because my house diddnt come fitted with the nte5 one as they are apparently not a requirement.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to