User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 21:30:38
Print Post

Re: High Latency when trying to play games EE

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So if it is a firmware issue why would it only cause problems on my router and not everyone on ees?
And would this actually cause the amount of ping and packet loss that i am experiancing?
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 21:39:05
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

So would getting this socket installed actually improve my line or would it be a waste of money that as a student i don't have?
This house i am also renting so i'm not sure if i would be allowed to have anything installed if indeed it is the line.
Is there the possability that it is just the service provider and that this won't help at all?

It just seems strange that there is so much packet loss as soon as i try to play anygame. But even skype and streaming seem to be terrible quality
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Feb-13 21:56:43
Print Post

[re: thatginner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by thatginner:
So would getting this socket installed actually improve my line or would it be a waste of money that as a student i don't have?
This house i am also renting so i'm not sure if i would be allowed to have anything installed if indeed it is the line.
Is there the possability that it is just the service provider and that this won't help at all?

It just seems strange that there is so much packet loss as soon as i try to play anygame. But even skype and streaming seem to be terrible quality
Well Firstly you may be able to have this work carried out for free ,as indicated in an earlier post, So i would be finding out if this would be applicable to yourself
As for the Installation of a upto date NTE5 improving your line , The NTE by it's self would make little difference, But more importantly it would enable you to rule out any internal extension wiring plus anything that is connected to that, That is the reason for the test jack located behind the faceplate , as any internal extension wiring is connected to the removable faceplate which has to be removed to plug your telephone or adsl filter into the test jack,
This is also one of the first things nearley if not all isp's ask customers to carry out to eliminate the internal extensions ,
because if the extension wiring is found by an openreach engineer to be causing your problems they will make a charge for the visit, to your isp, who will probably pass that on to you , so if for nothing else than peace of mind it's advisable to have a modern NTE5 , better than a big bill from openreach

As for your existing problems they may show an improvement when using the test jack, also how many other devices are connected to the router in use ? as the packet loss could also be down to others who are downloading uploading ,streaming movies ect whilst you are trying to play online

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:13:22
Print Post

Which games are causing the issue, if we knew that then maybe others might say they've had issues

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:38:05
Print Post

Yes of course no problem.
the games i am trying to play are:

Dota 2
Team fortress 2
Counter strike GO
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:38:08
Print Post

Ah okay so i can get that done for free thats great!!
There are some 7 devices connected to the same internet connection although i'd say there is only usually 1 or 2 people streaming at any given time.
We have also banned torrenting as it causes so much issues.
The issues seems to be happening to them as well as me though. and on the odd occasion none of us can do anything at all.

Also if in the house we only have one phone socket would this test socket actually be usful (this might be an extreamly dumb question ^^).

thanks for all your help by the way
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:47:17
Print Post

Generaly rule for average ADSL lines is to not stream video when trying to play games.

Done any port forwarding for counterstrike Go - or relying on UPnP, using port forwarding might be worth a shot to help router.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwardi...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:48:21
Print Post

If you only have one socket and absolutely no extension wiring, then the new style master socket will really make no difference for you

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:52:13
Print Post

Yeah i know shame my flatmates dont care though ^^

it's just strange that at one point it was working perfectly even when everyone was streaming and on the internet. And then suddenly poof no can do anything.
When we did get the bt man round he said that there was some sort of interferance but he had no idea what was causing it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:55:54
Print Post

If you have intermittent interference its simple, the noise margin would be wandering around a lot.
You 7 Meg connection at 40dB attenuatiion is only slightly lower than the normal range.

If you turn the wireless off totally and JUST use ethernet do things get better?

Wireless on 2.4GHz is getting ever more crowded and can cause problems

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to