User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Wed 06-Feb-13 13:54:21
Print Post

Re: High Latency when trying to play games EE

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
VLAN: Default
This doesn't matter on ADSL, where ATM is in use (it does matter on a VDSL modem hooked up directly to the wall, where PTM with Ethernet encapsulation and VLANs are used).

QoS Class: UBR
PC/SCR/MBS: 7000 / 7000 / 7000
With the QoS correctly set to UBR, the PC/SCR/MBS settings are irrelevant. I'm not aware of any UK ISP using ATM QoS.

P Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
These are just placeholders meaning 'take the answer from the IPCP layer of the PPP negotiation.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:08:42
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
VLAN: Default
This doesn't matter on ADSL, where ATM is in use
Sorry, but you are commenting on something you know nowt about.

The BrightBox, of which you are obviously ignorant, does have 3 VLANs connected with the 3 SSIDs it offers on WiFi.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:29:09
Print Post

The BrightBox may use VLANs on the LAN side.

However, the post was about the WAN side (i.e. replacing the BrightBox). There can be no VLANs on the WAN side of the router if PPPoA is in use, as there's no Ethernet encapsulation in use and therefore nowhere to put a VLAN tag. The WAN protocol stack is ATM : PPP over ATM AAL5 (PPPoA) : IP : higher layers.

If EE carry multiple services over the same ATM VP - and this I don't know, but will if you care to explain it - the encapsulation can be carried at any layer above PPPoA, though it is likely to carried on IP (possibly on UDP as with many VPN technologies, maybe on another IP protocol as with the GRE used alongside PPTP). Even if this encapsulation includes VLAN tags, this doesn't involve a VLAN setting on the WAN side of a router - the VLANs appear at the higher de-encapsulation level.

As I wrote in my earlier post, the usual reason for a VLAN WAN setting is PTM over ADSL2, ADSL2+ or VDSL2. PPPoA means ATM is in use rather than PTM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:37:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
However, the post was about the WAN side (i.e. replacing the BrightBox).
There was no question of "replacing the BrightBox", just how to set it up.

I've already explained where VLANs come into the BrightBox GUI.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:50:24
Print Post

Nevertheless, my question about exactly where these VLANs arise and whether they are carried over the WAN side remains.

If these VLANs are carried over the WAN link, I can't see any alternative to them travelling in some sort of encapsulation over IP. The other way to provide multiple services over ATM based DSL is multiple ATM VCs, which opens up the possibility of ATM QoS - though ATM is now looked on as a legacy technology and I'm not aware of any UK deployments using multiple ATM VCs.

In any event 'Default' means just that - no explicit override is set. Unless you can enlighten us all on exactly where these VLANs originate and where they sit in the WAN protocol stack (and if you can, I am interested), you have nothing to add.

The BT FTTx infrastructure uses PTM (rather than ATM), Ethernet encapsulation and VLANs. It is possible to deliver multiple VLANs to the CPE, as is done with Broadband and Fibre Voice Access on the same FTTP ONT.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:58:15
Print Post

This is all pointless and prob confusing the OP.

E7er has already admitted this field no longer exists on the page he quoted and that he posted it in error, after I queried it. It does not bear discussion and is just sidetracking this thread.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 06-Feb-13 15:13:58)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Feb-13 15:18:26
Print Post

With the EE Bright Box router the reference to VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) is for a separate wireless network where you can allow a guest to use that separate wireless network, many routers have this now. wink

VLAN Binding
VLAN binding gives you the ability to share your internet connection with friends or family, while allowing you to keep computers or storage devices on a separate home network.

A typical example would be to use SSID1 for your personal use, and then provide the wireless settings for SSID2 to a guest. By choosing VLAN2 for SSID2, the guest user would be on a separate internal network meaning that any shared computers or devices on your home network would not be visible.

SSID No. . .VLAN Grouping
SSID1. . . . VLAN 1.
SSID2. . . . VLAN 2.
SSID3. . . . VLAN 3.

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Wed 06-Feb-13 15:21:59
Print Post

Indeed - it's not relevant to the WAN settings as such (only possibly to a higher layer, as I explained). I'm not surprised it has disappeared in the latest firmware - it seems more like a PTM setting that is not relevant to PPPoA.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Feb-13 16:18:09
Print Post

Sub thread closed

Can I suggest people help the end-user and not have pointless semantic debates that make the place look like an old ladies knitting club

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 21:10:40
Print Post

Hi there

Okay sorry for the delay i wanted to get a good image during the problem time. I set as many samples i could for aproximatly 5 mins.

And here is where all the graphs go red ^_^

Thanks for your help i dont even know where to start with this one.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to