User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sat 02-Feb-13 17:30:57
Print Post

High Latency when trying to play games EE

[link to this post]

This past week i have been unable to play any video games due to extreamly high latency and alot of packet loss.
The service works fine as long as i am not playing a game but will shoot up an incredable amount as soon as i so much as launch it.

I have the orange marked brightbox although the firmware on the actual router has been changed to ee.

Bt said that it was probably interferance from inside the house. We only have 1 phone socket so i know its not a filter problem.

Is anyone having the same problem and is it just ee being a terrible isp

Any help or suggestions to solve this problem will be much appreciated!!
Standard User BorgMaster
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Feb-13 18:32:04
Print Post

Re: High Latency when trying to play games EE

[re: thatginner] [link to this post]

Hi, well first I would suggest you eliminate internal problems, such as interference from wireless etc, then you'll have a better understanding whats at fault here.

First of all are you using wireless?

Easy way to check your network is not the problem is by opening a cmd prompt by going: start -> search programes/folders and type cmd

it should bring up a dos black window, type in there ipconfig to find the IP of your router (thats your gateway) and ping it by typing ping IP, for example: if your network gateway is 192.168.0.1 then ping 192.168.0.1 is your command, the latency should be between 0-10ms max, if its higher then its an internal problem.

Lets see the results and we'll go from there, if its not that then it could be a problem with your service, but not guarenteed, could also be a problem with the router itself, but at least it eliminates one of the many issues.

BT Broadband

On Netgear DG834G

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sat 02-Feb-13 19:05:59
Print Post

[re: BorgMaster] [link to this post]

Hi there thanks for your help.
I'm using ethernet and by testing using the dos window and the gateway the latency was 3ms.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BorgMaster
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Feb-13 19:25:21
Print Post

Well ruling out freak interruptions when your playing games, it seems to be normal.

If using the same DOS window you type: tracert speedtest.thinkbroadband.com it will show you something like:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 30 ms 30 ms 31 ms esr1.birmingham5.broadband.bt.net [217.32.86.140
]
3 30 ms 31 ms 31 ms 217.32.86.125
4 35 ms 34 ms 34 ms 213.1.67.14
5 36 ms 36 ms 35 ms 213.1.67.252
6 35 ms 36 ms 36 ms 213.1.79.122
7 35 ms 35 ms 35 ms 213.1.79.85
8 36 ms 35 ms 34 ms 87.237.20.246
9 36 ms 39 ms 36 ms linx-gw1.thn.ncuk.net [195.66.224.240]
10 36 ms 35 ms 35 ms speedtest2.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.109.154]

If you right click, you have an option to 'mark' select the text you want to paste and press enter, only highlight the bits that I've shown you here.

That may help identify where the issue lies within your ISP's network.

BT Broadband

On Netgear DG834G

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sat 02-Feb-13 20:01:28
Print Post

Okay i'm not sure exactly what these values mean but 3 seems to be quite high.

1 3 ms 3 ms 4 ms 192.168.1.1
2 63 ms 69 ms 36 ms 213.1.112.169
3 139 ms 95 ms 143 ms 213.1.116.190
4 37 ms 37 ms 36 ms 213.1.67.218
5 39 ms 40 ms 41 ms 213.1.79.10
6 41 ms 42 ms 40 ms 87.237.20.244
7 38 ms 53 ms 46 ms linx-gw1.thn.ncuk.net [195.66.224.240]
8 30 ms 28 ms 30 ms speedtest2.thinkbroadband.com [80.249.109.154]
Standard User BorgMaster
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Feb-13 21:30:18
Print Post

could just be some random spiking there, is it only happening when you play games?

BT Broadband

On Netgear DG834G

Standard User BorgMaster
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Feb-13 21:31:05
Print Post

and if you dont mind me asking, what game are you attempting to play?

BT Broadband

On Netgear DG834G

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sat 02-Feb-13 22:20:39
Print Post

It has been okay with just internet but getting alot worse.
Even skype seemed to just fail today. I think playing the game just makes the problem alot more pronounced.
Its Dota 2 but i checked on tf2 and the ping is just as bad on there.
Standard User BorgMaster
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Feb-13 22:27:50
Print Post

Is having a ethernet cable plugged into your PC an option? that could rule out any wireless problems you may be having, as it would eliminate any interference causing a problem on your internal network.

in addition to that, if you log into the router information and continue to advanced settings, go to ADSL info,

copy the following sections if you would:

Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 448 (Kbps.)
Downstream 7616 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 24.0 dB 9.1 dB
Line Attenuation 18.0 dB 30.5 dB

just so we can rule out any obvious ADSL issues there.

EDIT: Also please add:

Link Type --- Interleaved Path

on the top of that page, if your on fast path, although it can lower pings, it can also increase instablity four fold, on my line, if I request fast path, my stability drops massively, and it can barely hold a connection for more than 4-5 hours. Just a thought.

BT Broadband

On Netgear DG834G

Edited by BorgMaster (Sat 02-Feb-13 22:29:58)

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sat 02-Feb-13 22:49:02
Print Post

i am connected to the router via ethernet cable.
And my adsl setting look like this.

Status
Configured Current
Line Status - --- - SHOWTIME
Link Type - --- - Fast Path
Operation Mode- Automatic - G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information

Stream Type - Actual Data Rate
Upstream - 1080 (Kbps.)
Downstream - 7847 (Kbps.)

Operation Data - Upstream - Downstream
Noise Margin - 5.9 dB - 9.2 dB
Line Attenuation - 23.0 dB - 40.5 dB
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 00:18:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by BorgMaster:
the latency should be between 0-10ms max,
That's far too wide a range. I'd expect it to be < 1 ms. If it's higher than 1 ms then there's a problem.

BTW: OP is already using Ethernet.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 01:08:26
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I am using an ethernet power adapter as i am in the attic of the house and only have 1 phone socket but it has been working fine before. Maybe thats why my latency is slightly higher?

It is also not just me and my computer that are having problems in the house. Its my flatmates as well.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Feb-13 02:57:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by thatginner:
I am using an Ethernet power adaptor

And that could well be the root cause of your connection problems

If you can plug your router into the test jack which is behind the lower part of the faceplate on the BT master socket (the socket that your line runs into from outside) and see what sync you get and what your latency is like,

Online games and power line adaptors /wireless are not a good mix, A Cat 5 or 6 Ethernet cable is the only way for trouble free online gaming, If your connection still disconnects when plugged into the test jack (via adsl filter ) then this could be a line fault, also what product are you paying for, upto 20mbits (adsl2+) ?

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 03:19:00
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
I am using an Ethernet power adaptor
And that could well be the root cause of your connection problems
Agreed - these adaptors (Homeplugs) are a fundamentally bad technology, injecting radio frequency signals onto cabling that was never designed to take it.

Two recent threads on these abominations can be found here and here.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 05:28:24
Print Post

what product are you paying for, upto 20mbits (adsl2+)?
Well, he getting it, isn't he?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 12:59:53
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Yeah i have heard of problems with these adapters and looked at how they work and why they are clever but not actually a great idea in terms of stability.

However i have had 4 weeks of it working perfectly no problems with ping.
I thought it could have been the adapter untill i plugged my laptop with an ethernet straight to the router and tested its ping. Just as bad. I also let the laptop settle and unplugged the adapters before testing the ping.
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 13:05:21
Print Post

i am paying for adsl2+ but i know that i can only get upto 8Mb/s on my line.

Unfortunatly the only phone socket in the house is not the one with a test socket.
Apparently according to BT it is not a requirements for homes to have them.

I have tried with my laptop and a cat5 ethernet cable plugged straight to the router and removed the adapters still to no avail. The ping was exactly the same.

We have had really erractic internet and i'm pretty sure that its not a hardware issue but a line issue.

Really appreciating the suggestions though!!!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 13:13:51
Print Post

i know that i can only get upto 8Mb/s on my line.
You could be getting 9 Meg.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 13:23:08
Print Post

I would run your diagnostics with the router connected to the test socket in the NTE5 (unscrew the faceplate and remove it temporarily) and with the computer connected using an Ethernet cable. This rules out a great deal of variables that are not your ISPs responsibility.

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 14:04:52
Print Post

Unfortunaly i cant because my house diddnt come fitted with the nte5 one as they are apparently not a requirement.
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 14:06:34
Print Post

Yeah i guess but speed isnt really the issue.
It just seems to be really unstable. Things load fast enouph when they work. But if the internet crashes i cant do anything.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 15:18:39
Print Post

PingPlotter is a really useful diagnostics tool for this sort of problem - it's a continuous traceroute that draws nice graphs that you can annotate. You can keep it running to an appropriate destination (such as the game server you're trying to use), and add comments to significant occurrences.

The Pro version is very expensive and most of the extra features are to do with VoIP. I'd recommend Standard - free for 30 days, then US$24.95 (so somewhere around £15). However, there is a freeware version if you don't want to spend anything.

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Sun 03-Feb-13 15:36:10
Print Post

Yeah i saw that software somewhere before and was looking at the freeware version.
So is it just like asking BT to monitor the line only on my computer specifically rather than the router itself?

My only concer is that even if i run it for a day and see the anomalies and the diagnostic results i still wont really be able to pinpoint what is actually causing the errors or even a way to fix it.

So i guess i'm asking whether it would actually be able to pinpoint the problem or rather just highlight the issue?
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 15:56:39
Print Post

PingPlotter allows you to see which hop or hops on the journey to the destination are losing packets and/or have variable latency.

I've posted an example of PingPlotter Standard output here - this data is to a VoIP server in the US. The graphs at the bottom are configurable - in this case, it's the first hop outside my network, the first US hop, the penultimate hop and the last hop. It's pretty clear that the problems are with the server itself - it's the only hop showing latency spikes and packet loss (the red colour).

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Feb-13 16:09:09
Print Post

i am paying for adsl2+ but i know that i can only get upto 8Mb/s on my line.

Unfortunatly the only phone socket in the house is not the one with a test socket.
Apparently according to BT it is not a requirements for homes to have them.

I have tried with my laptop and a cat5 Ethernet cable plugged straight to the router and removed the adaptors still to no avail. The ping was exactly the same.

We have had really erratic internet and i'm pretty sure that its not a hardware issue but a line issue.

Really appreciating the suggestions though!!!
You should be getting a higher sync rate, your target SNR is 9db (the defualt setting is 6db) indicating an issue , When BT openreach install a telephone line it is routine for them to install a NTE5 ( master socket) This is the point where BT openreaches responsibilities end AKA demacation point , This also allows you to isolate any internal wiring (extensions) and equipment connected to those , to avoid possible BT openreach charges , because if a fault is due to your equipment or internal wiring you will end up being charged, and they won't fix the problem
So as for you being told by some script reading monkey at bt retail or EE that a NTE5 BT master socket isnt required is totally incorrect info , they have been fitting NTE5's for 6yrs that i know of, probably longer , You should have an NTE5
link to what BT open reach always fit NTE5 I would be reporting this as a fault to you isp, unless you can hear crackling or other odd sounds when making a call, try the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 use a corded phone,and use the secrecy button or cover the mic so you don't induce background noise ity should be complely quite apart from the recorded announcment

Because you are unable to isolate any internal extension wiring/bell wires even could well be why you observed no difference in stability of the connection, as such you cannot rule out connected equipment in your home such as sky boxes other telephones all need to be filtered so an adsl filter is required for anything plugged into extensions ,

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 03-Feb-13 16:14:09)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:02:13
Print Post

So as for you being told by some script reading monkey at bt retail or EE that a NTE5 BT master socket isnt required is totally incorrect info
BT may have been installing NTE5s on new lines for years but they are not obliged to upgrade old sockets to one for free.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:36:13
Print Post

The charge to have an NTE5 fitted is around £25 on most phone providers. I'm pretty sure it is £25 on BT Retail but don't have the Price List link to hand. NTE5 installation is included as part of an FTTC install.

If you want an existing installation converted to an NTE5, the magic words are likely to be "conversion of existing master socket to a Linebox".

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Feb-13 18:59:12
Print Post

I heard the magic phrase was "normalise the line" to get it done free.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-Feb-13 19:57:50
Print Post

Regularising a line is £25+VAT

I would not worry about the line stats, other than just checking then when things are bad that the noise margin for downstream is still a reasonable value ie. greater than 5dB. Sync speed is a little low - but not frighteningly so.

If the issue coincides exactly with starting an online game and in particular when you display the list games servers I would suggest that it may be a router issue, and perhaps it has just recently had a firmware upgrade.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Sun 03-Feb-13 20:01:26)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 21:10:41
Print Post

Hi there so i finally got round to downloading ping plotter during the time that i had problems playing video games and used the adress that you used in your example and here is the image i got!!
It seems high as soon as it leaves my router and then gets progressively worse as it hops.
It also has an insane amount of packet loss for some reason.
I'd like to hear what you think the issue might be.
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 21:30:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So if it is a firmware issue why would it only cause problems on my router and not everyone on ees?
And would this actually cause the amount of ping and packet loss that i am experiancing?
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 21:39:05
Print Post

So would getting this socket installed actually improve my line or would it be a waste of money that as a student i don't have?
This house i am also renting so i'm not sure if i would be allowed to have anything installed if indeed it is the line.
Is there the possability that it is just the service provider and that this won't help at all?

It just seems strange that there is so much packet loss as soon as i try to play anygame. But even skype and streaming seem to be terrible quality
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Feb-13 21:56:43
Print Post

So would getting this socket installed actually improve my line or would it be a waste of money that as a student i don't have?
This house i am also renting so i'm not sure if i would be allowed to have anything installed if indeed it is the line.
Is there the possability that it is just the service provider and that this won't help at all?

It just seems strange that there is so much packet loss as soon as i try to play anygame. But even skype and streaming seem to be terrible quality
Well Firstly you may be able to have this work carried out for free ,as indicated in an earlier post, So i would be finding out if this would be applicable to yourself
As for the Installation of a upto date NTE5 improving your line , The NTE by it's self would make little difference, But more importantly it would enable you to rule out any internal extension wiring plus anything that is connected to that, That is the reason for the test jack located behind the faceplate , as any internal extension wiring is connected to the removable faceplate which has to be removed to plug your telephone or adsl filter into the test jack,
This is also one of the first things nearley if not all isp's ask customers to carry out to eliminate the internal extensions ,
because if the extension wiring is found by an openreach engineer to be causing your problems they will make a charge for the visit, to your isp, who will probably pass that on to you , so if for nothing else than peace of mind it's advisable to have a modern NTE5 , better than a big bill from openreach

As for your existing problems they may show an improvement when using the test jack, also how many other devices are connected to the router in use ? as the packet loss could also be down to others who are downloading uploading ,streaming movies ect whilst you are trying to play online

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:13:22
Print Post

Which games are causing the issue, if we knew that then maybe others might say they've had issues

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:38:05
Print Post

Yes of course no problem.
the games i am trying to play are:

Dota 2
Team fortress 2
Counter strike GO
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:38:08
Print Post

Ah okay so i can get that done for free thats great!!
There are some 7 devices connected to the same internet connection although i'd say there is only usually 1 or 2 people streaming at any given time.
We have also banned torrenting as it causes so much issues.
The issues seems to be happening to them as well as me though. and on the odd occasion none of us can do anything at all.

Also if in the house we only have one phone socket would this test socket actually be usful (this might be an extreamly dumb question ^^).

thanks for all your help by the way
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:47:17
Print Post

Generaly rule for average ADSL lines is to not stream video when trying to play games.

Done any port forwarding for counterstrike Go - or relying on UPnP, using port forwarding might be worth a shot to help router.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwardi...

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:48:21
Print Post

If you only have one socket and absolutely no extension wiring, then the new style master socket will really make no difference for you

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:52:13
Print Post

Yeah i know shame my flatmates dont care though ^^

it's just strange that at one point it was working perfectly even when everyone was streaming and on the internet. And then suddenly poof no can do anything.
When we did get the bt man round he said that there was some sort of interferance but he had no idea what was causing it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 04-Feb-13 22:55:54
Print Post

If you have intermittent interference its simple, the noise margin would be wandering around a lot.
You 7 Meg connection at 40dB attenuatiion is only slightly lower than the normal range.

If you turn the wireless off totally and JUST use ethernet do things get better?

Wireless on 2.4GHz is getting ever more crowded and can cause problems

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 09:51:07
Print Post

If wireless interference is the problem with the EE Orange Bright box router you can select “Intelligent Wireless” the router should then automatically select the channel with the least interference. wink

Intelligent Wireless:
Use this function to connect to the best available wireless channel

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Tue 05-Feb-13 13:03:17
Print Post

Hi there
tried no wifi whilst my flatmates were out and things improved but not by much only 10ms or so.
I had this going for about 3 hours.

My ping seems to increase after 19 o clock could this just be ee throttling our connection?
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Tue 05-Feb-13 13:04:53
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Hi there

yeah i tried using the intellegent wizard before whilst having ping issues.
But it has never changed at all from channel 6.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 05-Feb-13 15:18:23
Print Post

As for the Installation of a upto date NTE5 improving your line , The NTE by it's self would make little difference, But more importantly it would enable you to rule out any internal extension wiring
The biggest gain with an NTE5 is as you say - it gives you a test socket, allowing you to isolate internal wiring. However, the latest BT Openreach logoed NTE5s have a ring wire filter on the standard faceplate - effectively a built in iPlate - which can help DSL speeds if there are internal extensions connected and the ring wire is attached. Unfortunately, I believe that not every BT Openreach NTE5 has the filter, and some NTE5s have the latest moulding for the filter choke but no choke inside!

The NTE5 also allows you to fit a faceplate or interstitial DSL filter, which is a worthwhile alternative to dangly filters.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Tue 05-Feb-13 15:25:39
Print Post

Does PingPlotter Freeware allow you to graph more than three samples? Graphing more samples will help eliminate one-off effects.

Your latency is certainly very high to London based hops 8 and 9 - though with three samples only, the reason isn't awfully clear. It looks like the problem is congestion on the first hop outside your network, which could have many causes.

Can you repeat the test during a problem period using a computer connected to the router using an Ethernet cable (not a Ethernet over power device or wireless) and with the connection idle. Graph as many hops as you can over, say, a five minute period - I know that PingPlotter Freeware imposes limits, but the more data the graph shows, the better.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Feb-13 16:04:52
Print Post

Could be throttling
could be noise issues with the line
could be exchange wholesale congestion
could be Orange based congestion

Sounds more like one of the last two, and if people with BT, Plusnet and other BT Wholesale based customers are not complaining on your exchange, then its Orange congestion.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Feb-13 11:47:31
Print Post

Set the router ADSL Mode to Automatic

adsl mode
This page allows you to specify the ADSL standards to operate with. You may explicitly set a specific standard, or choose "Automatic" to automatically negotiate with remote DSLAM.

ADSL mode / Automatic
Bit Swapping / Enable
SRA / Enable

And your Bright Box router is it configured correct? wink

EE Orange/T-Mobile home broadband router settings.

Broadband Settings
This page provides advanced settings to connect your EE Broadband service

Broadband Type ADSL
Broadband Username:
Broadband Password:

Protocol: PPPoA
VLAN: Default
VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
Encapsulation: VC MUX
QoS Class: UBR
PC/SCR/MBS: 7000 / 7000 / 7000
Internet IP Address: Dynamic
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS IP Address: Manual
Primary DNS: 193.36.79.101
Secondary DNS: 193.36.79.100
Connection Type: Always Connected
Idle Time: 0 (minutes)
Authentication Protocol: CHAP
MTU (576~1500): 1500

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 12:02:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by E7er:
Don't have those.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Feb-13 13:27:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Don't have those.
I did a quick copy and paste from word where I keep a copy and those settings and they must have come from the old Orange Bright Box firmware or the Orange Netgear DGN1000 router firmware. blush

The new EE Bright Box router firmware settings…
EE Orange/T-Mobile home broadband router settings.

BROADBAND SETTINGS
This page provides advanced settings to connect your EE Broadband service

Broadband Type ADSL
Broadband Username:
Broadband Password:

Protocol: PPPoA
VPI/VCI: 0 / 38
Encapsulation: VC MUX
Internet IP Address: Dynamic
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
DNS IP Address: Manual
Primary DNS: 193.36.79.101
Secondary DNS: 193.36.79.100
Connection Type: Always Connected
Idle Time: 0 (minutes)
Authentication Protocol: CHAP
MTU (576~1500): 1500

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 13:39:15
Print Post

It's possible the QoS, and others, appear when you Enable QoS, but I cba to experiment.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Wed 06-Feb-13 13:54:21
Print Post

This doesn't matter on ADSL, where ATM is in use (it does matter on a VDSL modem hooked up directly to the wall, where PTM with Ethernet encapsulation and VLANs are used).

With the QoS correctly set to UBR, the PC/SCR/MBS settings are irrelevant. I'm not aware of any UK ISP using ATM QoS.

P Address: 0.0.0.0
These are just placeholders meaning 'take the answer from the IPCP layer of the PPP negotiation.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:08:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
This doesn't matter on ADSL, where ATM is in use
Sorry, but you are commenting on something you know nowt about.

The BrightBox, of which you are obviously ignorant, does have 3 VLANs connected with the 3 SSIDs it offers on WiFi.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:29:09
Print Post

The BrightBox may use VLANs on the LAN side.

However, the post was about the WAN side (i.e. replacing the BrightBox). There can be no VLANs on the WAN side of the router if PPPoA is in use, as there's no Ethernet encapsulation in use and therefore nowhere to put a VLAN tag. The WAN protocol stack is ATM : PPP over ATM AAL5 (PPPoA) : IP : higher layers.

If EE carry multiple services over the same ATM VP - and this I don't know, but will if you care to explain it - the encapsulation can be carried at any layer above PPPoA, though it is likely to carried on IP (possibly on UDP as with many VPN technologies, maybe on another IP protocol as with the GRE used alongside PPTP). Even if this encapsulation includes VLAN tags, this doesn't involve a VLAN setting on the WAN side of a router - the VLANs appear at the higher de-encapsulation level.

As I wrote in my earlier post, the usual reason for a VLAN WAN setting is PTM over ADSL2, ADSL2+ or VDSL2. PPPoA means ATM is in use rather than PTM.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:37:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
However, the post was about the WAN side (i.e. replacing the BrightBox).
There was no question of "replacing the BrightBox", just how to set it up.

I've already explained where VLANs come into the BrightBox GUI.

Standard User David_W
(experienced) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:50:24
Print Post

Nevertheless, my question about exactly where these VLANs arise and whether they are carried over the WAN side remains.

If these VLANs are carried over the WAN link, I can't see any alternative to them travelling in some sort of encapsulation over IP. The other way to provide multiple services over ATM based DSL is multiple ATM VCs, which opens up the possibility of ATM QoS - though ATM is now looked on as a legacy technology and I'm not aware of any UK deployments using multiple ATM VCs.

In any event 'Default' means just that - no explicit override is set. Unless you can enlighten us all on exactly where these VLANs originate and where they sit in the WAN protocol stack (and if you can, I am interested), you have nothing to add.

The BT FTTx infrastructure uses PTM (rather than ATM), Ethernet encapsulation and VLANs. It is possible to deliver multiple VLANs to the CPE, as is done with Broadband and Fibre Voice Access on the same FTTP ONT.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:58:15
Print Post

This is all pointless and prob confusing the OP.

E7er has already admitted this field no longer exists on the page he quoted and that he posted it in error, after I queried it. It does not bear discussion and is just sidetracking this thread.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 06-Feb-13 15:13:58)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Feb-13 15:18:26
Print Post

With the EE Bright Box router the reference to VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network) is for a separate wireless network where you can allow a guest to use that separate wireless network, many routers have this now. wink

VLAN Binding
VLAN binding gives you the ability to share your internet connection with friends or family, while allowing you to keep computers or storage devices on a separate home network.

A typical example would be to use SSID1 for your personal use, and then provide the wireless settings for SSID2 to a guest. By choosing VLAN2 for SSID2, the guest user would be on a separate internal network meaning that any shared computers or devices on your home network would not be visible.

SSID No. . .VLAN Grouping
SSID1. . . . VLAN 1.
SSID2. . . . VLAN 2.
SSID3. . . . VLAN 3.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Wed 06-Feb-13 15:21:59
Print Post

Indeed - it's not relevant to the WAN settings as such (only possibly to a higher layer, as I explained). I'm not surprised it has disappeared in the latest firmware - it seems more like a PTM setting that is not relevant to PPPoA.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Feb-13 16:18:09
Print Post

Sub thread closed

Can I suggest people help the end-user and not have pointless semantic debates that make the place look like an old ladies knitting club

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 21:10:40
Print Post

Hi there

Okay sorry for the delay i wanted to get a good image during the problem time. I set as many samples i could for aproximatly 5 mins.

And here is where all the graphs go red ^_^

Thanks for your help i dont even know where to start with this one.
Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Mon 11-Feb-13 21:46:39
Print Post

Hi there i just checked and yes all these settings are exactly as you wrote in the section below.

So i dont see that its the router problem.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Feb-13 22:11:36
Print Post

Seems to be taking the scenic route to Boston. Mine on Fast Path is:
C:\>tracert 206.15.148.180

Tracing route to 206.15.148.180 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms OrangeRouter [192.168.1.1]
2 8 ms 9 ms 8 ms 213.1.112.200
3 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 213.1.117.61
4 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms 213.1.67.230
5 10 ms 11 ms 10 ms 213.1.78.252
6 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 213.1.79.22
7 11 ms 10 ms 11 ms 87.237.20.240
8 22 ms 11 ms 22 ms bundle-ether1.lontr1.London.opentransit.net [193.251.255.101]
9 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms te0-7-0-4.ccr22.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.15.213]
10 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms te0-3-0-4.mpd22.lon13.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.0.238]
11 89 ms 90 ms 89 ms te0-7-0-33.ccr22.bos01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.0.46]
12 84 ms 84 ms 84 ms te3-2.ccr01.bos06.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.46.130]
13 90 ms 90 ms 90 ms 38.122.52.46
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 84 ms 94 ms 84 ms 206.15.148.180
Try changing the DNS in the router to OpenDNS : 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 and see if it improves the route & the ping.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Feb-13 22:16:26
Print Post

The current route is good. So how can the average be so bad, particularly to Step 2?

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Wed 13-Feb-13 17:28:15
Print Post

Well thats what i'm not getting at all!!
it seems like its having trouble even leaving my gateway.

And is it taking the scenic route to bosten? Oh my god yeah!! what kind of route is that?
not the [censored] fast kind thats for sure!!
Is it just my isp provider being stupid or is it a fault on my line do you think?

p.s BL00DY is a swearword?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Feb-13 19:06:54
Print Post

Well thats what i'm not getting at all!!
it seems like its having trouble even leaving my gateway.

And is it taking the scenic route to bosten? Oh my god yeah!! what kind of route is that?
not the [censored] fast kind thats for sure!!
Is it just my isp provider being stupid or is it a fault on my line do you think?

p.s BL00DY is a swearword?
I'll tell you what i think, The route taken to that server is bad 20 hops, it should resemble something like the one XRaySpeX posted
Good routing/peering pings of 90-100ms would be average for fastpath, maybe 110ms if interleaved but in the 300's that is definitely not right and unacceptable really, The problem apart from your connection being routed in a very unusual way to some destinations,

I think it's possibly down to congestion on the ISP's VP virtual path at your exchange,if it isn't then DLM has really messed things up for you , Swapping isp may cure it ,unless you can get some sense out of EE But if they won't help the only thing i can think of is make a formal complaint and take it up with EE's ADR So at least you may be able to leave without paying any remaining months left on the contract period assuming you are still within your min term

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Feb-13 19:54:44
Print Post

Did you try different DNS as I suggested?

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Wed 13-Feb-13 22:41:03
Print Post

Yeah i just changed it and it does seem to improve things although this must be tested further!!
It does speed up the first hops though!!

Is this acceptable though using a non ee dns server?
or will this cause problems later?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Feb-13 22:49:54
Print Post

You may use whichever reputable DNS you choose. Occasionally ISP ones are prone to down time; public ones seem more resilient. Google & Norton also provide public DNS.

Standard User thatginner
(newbie) Thu 14-Feb-13 16:40:42
Print Post

Oh okay!!

well last night is seemed to be working but the this afternoon i get this!!
its strange because it does seem and feel better as the lag lasts alot less time
but there is still the same problem persisting.

Anyone got any new ideas to what the actual problem is?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 14-Feb-13 17:31:16
Print Post

Oh okay!!

well last night is seemed to be working but the this afternoon i get this!!
its strange because it does seem and feel better as the lag lasts alot less time
but there is still the same problem persisting.

You could for further testing leave pingplotter running whilst you play online,
So you know what the pings are whilst your gaming ,

But the lower figures aren't that bad (139ms to host ) not brilliant but better than the other figures, If this increase at peak times it would certainly point to congestion somewhere, If this does rise during the evenings, it would help if you also got some results from the bbc.co.uk or Google.co.uk to see if the ping times also rise to those at the same time, if they don't it points to a routing/peering issue, if they all show the same increase then it would suggest congestion on the ISP's network or the virtual path of the exchange ,

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 14-Feb-13 18:20:29
Print Post

Yes, it's not DNS (was a vain hope).

It's cuz the Orange network is handing off to Paris, instead of London. It goes wrong after step 7.

Standard User thatginner
(learned) Sat 16-Feb-13 18:35:31
Print Post

Okay so it does seem to seriously increase at specific times during the day!!
Usually around 5-6 on the weekends and 7-8 midweeek.

But this is frustrating in itself as this is the times i game.
I have these ping plots for the bbc and google whilst gaming the past 2 days.

Thanks very much for the feedback. If it is congestion though is their anything that can be done?
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Feb-13 20:30:23
Print Post

If it is congestion then it's your isp's responsibility to sort it out ,by increasing the amount of available bandwidth , But getting the Isp to admit that there is a network capacity issue can sometimes be near impossible,let alone them adding more bandwidth, As you are on a WBC 21cn resold BT product , bandwidth is or was expensive,
If you get no joy from the ISP then you can just put up with it or make a formal complaint in writing firstly to the isp giving details of your problems if they dismiss it and refuse to do something, then you make a complaint to their ADR , they may ask that you then write again to the isp ,requesting a Deadlock letter , They then may be able to get comphensation (if you request it ) and be able to negociate a deal on your behalf with the isp, to allow you to leave without penalty (without paying any remaining period of the min term contract) if you are still inside the min term,
Somtimes switching ISP is the only way to get a better service, next time i would choose a LLU supplier SMPF (ADSL only ) Some smaller isp's offer a 1mth contract and free migration ,

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Feb-13 20:56:53
Print Post

Not a good idea to monitor pings whilst gaming.

Still putting in extra 2 or 3 steps after step 5.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Feb-13 12:15:07
Print Post

We've all been on LLU with Orange, I find EE Orange WBC ADSL2+ is giving me higher speeds and lower pings. smile

Ping Target Name: bbc.co.uk
IP: 212.58.241.131
Date/Time: 17/02/2013 10:48:22

1 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms [192.168.1.1] (EE Orange Bright Box router default IP address shown)
2 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 16 ms [213.1.112.126]
3 16 ms 25 ms 15 ms 16 ms [213.1.115.238]
4 19 ms 19 ms 20 ms 20 ms [213.1.78.78]
5 21 ms 20 ms 20 ms 19 ms [213.1.79.14]
6 39 ms 19 ms 20 ms 20 ms [87.237.20.244]
7 19 ms 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms bbc-linx.pr01.thdow.bbc.co.uk [195.66.224.103]
8 * * * * [-]
9 23 ms 19 ms 20 ms 20 ms ae1.er01.rbsov.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.46]
10 22 ms 20 ms 23 ms 22 ms [132.185.255.60]
11 20 ms 19 ms 20 ms 19 ms virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]

Ping statistics for bbc.co.uk
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0.0%)
Round Trip Times: Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 19ms
------------------------------

My EE Orange Bright box router stats.
ADSL Status
This page shows information about your ADSL connection if applicable.
Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream .... 1264 (Kbps.)
Downstream 13181 (Kbps.)
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin ...... 5.8 dB 6.3 dB
Line Attenuation 15.5 dB 29.0 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.8 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 7471 0
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 52 1
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 894 0
Error Seconds 30 1
Statistics
Received Cells 2567252
Transmitted Cells 258925

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User crg
(newbie) Mon 18-Feb-13 23:02:34
Print Post

Not sure if this is any help but I've been having a similar problem for about a month now, with games running at 400-500ms lag frown. This is while using a cat 5 connection to my brightbox to my gaming machine which normally runs at 30-50ms lag with 11mb download and1mb upload.

Running pingplotter standard over the last few days has allowed me to track the latency over time and I suspect two things may be the cause.

1. Orange is throttling at peak times (high latency reduces after 10pm ish)
2. A new laptop running on wifi is "drowning out" my ethernet connection (not sure if this is possible, but lag times are starting to appear coincidental...)

I've just started trialling the wifi bandwidth control but am treading carefully as its the wife's laptop wink.

Possibly the OP has a similar issue with flat mates running wifi on their PC's and downloading including when they're out of the house?

Will post more in due course.

CR
Standard User crg
(newbie) Mon 18-Feb-13 23:21:50
Print Post

[re: crg] [link to this post]

Just did an experiment in reducing the bandwidth control to 50% and running tracert then removing the control. Interesting result!

50% bandwidth control
Tracert 18.2.13 at 11:07pm

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 2 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 12 ms 9 ms 9 ms 213.1.112.78
3 20 ms 9 ms 13 ms 213.1.115.46
4 11 ms 13 ms 10 ms 213.1.67.190
5 18 ms 9 ms 15 ms 213.1.78.252
6 9 ms 9 ms 12 ms 213.1.79.30
7 17 ms 12 ms 9 ms 213.1.79.165
8 9 ms 15 ms 19 ms 87.237.20.242
9 17 ms 19 ms 21 ms 87.237.20.32
10 10 ms 20 ms 21 ms bbc-linx.pr01.thdow.bbc.co.uk [195.66.224.103]
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 12 ms 16 ms 21 ms ae1.er01.rbsov.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.46]
13 20 ms 21 ms 22 ms 132.185.255.60
14 11 ms 17 ms 20 ms virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]

Trace complete.

0% bandwidth control
Tracert 18.2.13 at 11:13pm

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 433 ms 423 ms 421 ms 213.1.112.78
3 454 ms 443 ms 415 ms 213.1.115.46
4 432 ms 423 ms 376 ms 213.1.67.190
5 434 ms 411 ms 413 ms 213.1.78.252
6 394 ms 402 ms 405 ms 213.1.79.30
7 414 ms 395 ms 395 ms 213.1.79.165
8 371 ms 395 ms 395 ms 87.237.20.242
9 419 ms 395 ms 395 ms 87.237.20.32
10 403 ms 405 ms 414 ms bbc-linx.pr01.thdow.bbc.co.uk [195.66.224.103]
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 418 ms 402 ms 405 ms ae1.er01.rbsov.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.46]
13 403 ms 455 ms 409 ms 132.185.255.60
14 414 ms 401 ms 395 ms virtual-vip.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]

Trace complete.

Didn't think Wifi would affect my ethernet connection...

CR
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Feb-13 01:20:19
Print Post

It shouldn't, and isn't. Latency to the first hop (your router / 192.168.1.1) is fine in both circumstances. it is the latency of your connection that is the issue. Something between your router and the internet is going wrong. Heavy downloading? I presume the "bandwidth control"* is just applying a QoS so things are shared a bit.

*I presume, I have not read this whole thread.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Tue 19-Feb-13 09:14:09
Print Post

Are other users on the local network hammering the connection?
Standard User crg
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 23:21:29
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

The laptop is only surfing with minimal downloading of pdfs (4 pages or so if that).

Only other thing is the IP cam we're using in the house, its connected via cat 5 to the brightbox, and we're using our browsers to view the video. Would that increase latency but if so why would the bandwidth control wifi reduce my latency as shown in the 1st trace?

As far as I know the bandwidth control only sets a limit to the maximum upload and download speeds the brightbox allocates to the wifi.

Possibly the OP could try it out?

CR
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to